Author Topic: My new hobby!  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My new hobby!
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:34 AM »
I have always loved rag rugs.  I grew up watching my grandma and aunt cut up old clothing into strips, sew them end-to-end and roll into balls.  There was a lady in our town that wove them on her loom and I was always fascinated by it.  I have continued the tradition for the past thirty years.  I cut up denim jeans, they make wonderful rugs.  My Mom's friend wove them for me.  She is in her 80's and it became hard for her to operate the loom.  Recently, she decided to sell it and it is now in my basement. @O@

It was quite a job moving it.  We had to take it apart as there was an overhead door in the building when they put it in there years ago, but they had closed it off.  Besides the loom there is a rack that holds 342 spools of warp.  We had to cut them away from the loom.  Our two sons helped to carry it down our basement stairs, then came the job of matching up all 342 threads and tying them back together.  That took a while and we ended up with quite a few tangles that took forever to straighten.   But everything is going smooth now and I am having a wonderful time.

Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My new hobby!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
Very nice Karen,

I have always been absolutely amazed at the patience of a woman who could sit and knit, crochet, weave, and stuff like that.
BTW, green, brown and earthtones will work for me.  ;){:-P;; O0
I couldn't fathom doing something like that. But I'm sure glad that someone does, because I do appreciate the beauty of the finished product.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
 o(:-)

Oh what memories...  All my grandparents immigrated from Finland, and I remember visiting my Dad's Mom in the UP of Michigan where in the basement there was a loom just like yours...  She would make woven carpets like you show and then give them to all... 

We would actually use them as carpets on the floor, and I've always wondered why...  Now I would put them on a wall if I had them!!!!

Beautiful work Karen, and good for the soul...

Dave

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
Steve, I love to do all those things; knit, sew, quilt, crochet..............nothing too fancy though.  I think I would have been very happy living a long time ago when things were much simpler, well, except for indoor plumbing, don't think I could get along without it.

Dave, glad I brought back some memories.  My loom is an early 1950's Two Harness Union Loom.  Lots of rugs on my floors around here, never thought of hanging one up.

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
That is a wonderful hobby and you found a loom that was well cared for and used!  I too appreciate hand crafted rugs which I rediscovered in a Farmer's Market display last summer.  I remember watching students weaving rugs, or art in this case, at an art college I use to attend in Nova Scotia.  Always fascinated by the movements on the loom but never could afford to have a real one.  I had a small table top version, cheaply made, that didn't do the craft any justice.

Can't wait to see more of your creations.  I the blue rug in the photo.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
I love that blue rug. I know nothing about weaving. Your loom is a treasure with lots of memories for you. It looks like fun.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
Oh Karen how nice, glad you were able to find room for that loom.....I would love to give that a try.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
My grandmother did the same thing:  save all material (take buttons from all her dresses and mens' shirts and keep them in a button box) and tear into strips and make balls.  A lady she knew made rugs that we used on our floors.  How I wish I had them now.  And I also would hang them.  There is a very large market for your work, you would be surprised if you knew what people would pay for those rugs!   8-)~   o(:-) 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »
Nice hobby ! Love the color too  o(:-)

bonnie

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
WOW, what an endeavor...and I betcha that old lady is happy YOU were the one who ened up with her loom!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »
Thanks guys for all the compliments.

I have a great place for my loom in the basement.  It sits beside my treadmill.  I have made a new "rule" for myself.  Before I weave, I have to walk.  So far its working. ;)  Since I love to weave, its worth the walk.
In the evening I cut rags while watching television.  It takes me quite a while to make a rug, at least five or six hours. 

Now the bad news.  When I bought the loom the warp was low, all 342 of them.  I asked Maxine how much it would cost to buy new and she just said "a lot, but it lasts a long, long time".  I've been doing some checking and it will cost me right at $1,000.00.  :o  I'm not sure how many rugs I can get before it runs out, but I'm hoping its quite a few.

I have always given the rugs as gifts.  They make great wedding gifts.  Very practical and the young kids love them too!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:15:17 PM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »
WoW what a treasure Karen. I LOVE that blue rug, that would work VERY well in my blue kitchen.  O0

I remember my grandmother crocheting of all things bread wrappers to make rugs. I guess she would basically do the same thing with the wrappers as yours did with the clothes.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Cool! When I was going through all the stuff that was left in the basement of this house we moved into I found an old wooden chest that had several old rag rugs in it. They aren't loomed ones but the hand crocheted ones. They were dirty beyond belief so I took a gamble and threw them in the washer and laid them flat to dry and they turned out beautiful. The colors and materials are really neat. I've always like the the rag rugs for some reason so I was tickled with these.
Enjoy you're new hobby! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Karen,

How cool!  I have not a clue how one of those work, but looks like you do!  What a great rug!  I will stick to my sewing, quilting and crocheting (on my third blanket since November). 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
Tonya, it's really easy to work one.  If you like to do all those crafty things, you would love this!

Last fall at our local craft fair a lady had woven a rug out of those blue WalMart bags.  It really looked pretty nice, but I don't think I want to make one.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »
Karen,

If you say so, I will take your word for it.  I looked at it again and it still looks complicated to me.  I wouldn't have room for one if I wanted one.  Thanks for sharing and have fun!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"