Author Topic: Save the Sea Kittens (updated)  (Read 1788 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Save the Sea Kittens (updated)
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
In keeping with the current crop of Cat threads, I thought I'd post this little gem. The Peta folks don't want people to go fishing, or eat fish anymore. So they've decided to re-name the fish to make them seem more "adorable".

Enjoy. http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp

We're having sea kittens for dinner tonight, I hope the kids don't get too traumatized.  ;)

Edit/update- Here is an NPR story about it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99249669
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:41:10 AM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Sea Kittens
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
Yumm, I love sea kittens...I had a steak from a large yellow fin  sea kitten last night   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Sea Kittens
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
I am going to run right out and join PETA now!  People Eating Tasty Animals, that is!!

Sheesh, no one gets in an uproar over the sensless slaughter and decapitation of cauliflower!!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Sea Kittens (updated)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:16:05 PM »
PETA is a group of hypocrits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_Ethical_Treatment_of_Animals

According to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, PETA euthanized 1,946 companion animals (out of 2,138 animals surrendered to them or picked up as strays) in its home state of Virginia in 2005.[89] During that same year, 126,797 animals (out of 228,376 animals surrendered or picked up as strays) were euthanized at animal shelters in Virginia.[90] San Francisco Chronicle columnist Debra J. Saunders reported that, according to PETA "In 2003, PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent."[91]

In 1999, PETA took in 2,103 animals, of which 798 were either found new homes, were reclaimed by their owners or transferred to other facilities, while those remaining were euthanized.[92] During the years 2004 and 2005, PETA took in 20258 animals, of which 15,438 were reclaimed by their owner. 4,224 were euthanized, while 507 were adopted.[81][82] Debra Saunders's San Francisco Chronicle editorial states that, in 1991, after rescuing 18 rabbits and 14 roosters from a research facility,[91] PETA euthanized them because, they said, there was no room for them at their animal sanctuary.[93] This was questioned by critics in view of PETA's budget for that year, which was over six million dollars.[94

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »
"Okay, is it fish or is it kitten?"
           -Jessica Simpson

Talk about hypocrites - I know of someone who is a "die hard" PETA supporter (isn't it more like "PITA"???) and although PETA advocates not having small caged animals as pets, this woman has as many as three parakeets (a couple have died in her care, and she still gets more).  I asked her about her endorsement of PETA and her disregard towards her own caged animals and she accused me of "attacking her publicly".  I'll bet not one PETA member would have issue with squashing a cockroach found in their kitchen!!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »
Now that is really a silly campaign.........I try to ignore PETA and their type.  I also enjoy Sea Kittens frequently
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
"Catch, fillet,eat."
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
Sea Kittens are delicious !..YUM

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
Good grief, I guess I have just ignored their stuff all along because of my farm upbringing I knew my opinion would differ greatly. But if ALL creatures were allowed to live, then boy of boy, we in Michigan would be over run by deer and the oceans would be full of fish.

Offline Roark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »
I have a feeling, that when PETA originally started, it had it's heart in the right place.  Unfortunately they seem to have lost that "vision" and are edging toward absurdity and perhaps outright ridicule.

My vote?  Turn that six million bucks of budget into something to help humans... preferably kids. 

Yes there is a place for helping animals, but with PETA's success-rate statistics way down in the weeds, there are clearly better things to do with the money!

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"