Author Topic: Do northern ponds make the year go by faster?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do northern ponds make the year go by faster?
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
 I lived in Florida for nineteen years. I was able to enjoy my ponds every day of the year. Here in Southern Indiana I am just counting the days till spring. I go outside when its 5 or 20 degrees turn around a scurry back inside just to hope March gets here soon. Is a northern pond going to make me grow older faster?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do northern ponds make the year go by faster?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »
I don't know about that, Red. 

But I CAN say that there has been an extreme decline in activity on this page, ever since the weather turned grey and cold.  (Plenty going on on other pages, though.) 

I suspect that in another month or so, when the weather warms a bit and things start greening up, that people's interest in ponds, and their ability to get out and tinker with them, will bring a sharp increase to posts here on AP.  Lots of photos, too, I hope.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »
All I do with my pond is look to see that the light is on in the deicer. The snow is almost covering the box but there's enough heat from the lightbulb that it doesn't.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
Southern ponds require lots of maintenance around them!  Therefore taking up all my free time and making the year go by waaayy too fast!  Heck it's almost February!  :o

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
I don't see why a northern pond would make you age more, heck we only have to maintain it half the year ;), the rest of the time depending on your personality......you worry or vacation :)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »
It doesn't make you grow older faster. I know this. I was simply saying that in the cold weather I am always wanting spring to come. I am always looking out the window or reading posts on here from southern folks, making me want spring to be here now. I am wanting to work in and around my pond so much that I am hoping the months will hurry up so I can get back outside. Actually my youngest will graduate this summer and I am seriously considering moving back down south to have nice weather, tropicals, palms and such.
  As a working man, winter is not a vacation. I get to take a vacation then its back to work. When you live up north a vacation has to include something warm unless you ski. I am not one to worry simply one that loves being outside working in the yard and pond. After I get off work in the spring and summer I normally stay outside till dark. In the winter its straight from the car to inside.

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »
I can't answer your question, but here is my story. ::)   
I had southern ponds for about 25 years.  LOL, lots of maintenance, it never ends!!  I now have northern ponds, and even though I sometimes wish for a longer blooming season, I do welcome a few months off from the pond stuff.  Also, it is nice to know that I won't be surprised by a water moccasin in my pond as I was in Florida.

Ruth

Ruth

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
reddad35, if I could move to warmer climates I would be there in a flash!!!  I am like you I love being outside in the gardens and the ponds, I live and breathe for the warm weather.  I wish I didn't have to work in the Spring, Summer and early Fall, but alas to far from retirement.  I'm the kind that worries during the winter, even still do water chemistry tests as it is harder to see a problem if it exisists with the ice and snow, an money for vacation is not there and I hate winter and all the winter sports except maybe building snowmen and sledding with my grandkids.  Good luck making a decision, and if you stay where you are know that your Spring will come earlier then mine if that's any consolation. ;)
Her secret is patience.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
This is becoming the longest winter that I can ever remember. We finished our first ever pond at the very end of last summer and LOVED IT. We couldn't wait to add fish so they went in 2 weeks after the pond was filled. o(  We never got to plant anything as it was getting to be the end of September, so we have had to endure all this cold and snow waiting for spring and finally being able to plant in the pond. (and see if the fish survived) Have faith reddad O0 cause before you know it the first crocuses and snowdrops will be blooming and then the tulips and daffodils the forsythias and redbuds, the first spring peas get planted and everything begins anew @O@
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »
Freddie, I hope all works out well for your fish and it should......We put our first pond in and finished the begining of Sept.   got a few little koi and goldfish but were not so lucky our first year.  All but one of the goldfish survived, I find they are a bit more hardy, but the three little koi did not make it.  We got more in the spring and they have survied for the last 5 winters, we had one of the big 20" ones die this spring, never figured out why though.  Every winter I worry but it is for nothing, come March/April when the ice starts melting I get more anxious to see them, but they tend to hide under the last little bit of ice as long as they can, then one day there they are and it is such a relief.  Ponding has made me wish for spring sooner and yes the winters seem to drag on but they really don't it's all in my mind.
Her secret is patience.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
I do know what you mean that it seems to make the time go faster. You can't wait until spring comes, then it seems like late summer and fall are here in a blink and you're last lily blooms are fading. Then its the rush to beat cold weather to repot plants and prepare for winter. Then the wait until spring is on again. It certainly makes one seem to be more aware of the time and seasons. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
I do know what you mean that it seems to make the time go faster. You can't wait until spring comes, then it seems like late summer and fall are here in a blink and you're last lily blooms are fading. Then its the rush to beat cold weather to repot plants and prepare for winter. Then the wait until spring is on again. It certainly makes one seem to be more aware of the time and seasons. :)

Again since you didn't read all posts. I recanted that first post. I was saying that I am wishing time would pass quicker. I was saying that by wishing this on myself am I actually wishing that I grow older faster. I am sorry for the confusion on the original post. I hate pond winter. I would rather be working in and around the pond all year.  I am looking forward to spring and really want nothing more than make improvements to my pond that I have now., oh well I know I will age at the Age rate but hate that I wish for a season.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
Last year, I spent my winter planning to expand my pond, come spring.  That really kept me wishing that winter would hurry up and get over with.

This year, I don't have any pond or landscaping projects in the works.  So the excitement and anticipation aren't there. 

I still wish winter would be finished, and I am itching to get outside and play in the yard / pond.  But I think when you have something to get your hands into, like building something or changing something, it gives more purpose to getting outdoors again come springtime.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"