Author Topic: What photo editing software do you use?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What photo editing software do you use?
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »
Well I wanted to edit a photo this morning and discovered that the trial version of Microsoft Digital Image Suite that came on my computer has expired and now I have to pay $69.99 (that's after the $30.00 mail in rebate) to edit my pictures.  Sheeshhhh! I remember when computers used to come with all kinds of software.  If I have to buy software I was wondering what everyone would recommend.  I have Kodak software that came with my camera but it converts every image on my computer - it takes over everything.  I did like the Microsoft but I was hoping to find something less expensive if possible.  I'm going to have to buy MS Office too just to have MS Word for my resume  >:(-
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Cindi

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What photo editing software do you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:47:13 AM »
If you are looking for a freebie I highly recommend Picasa.  It's very user friendly and best of all it's free!
Here is a link  http://picasa.google.com/
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:31 AM »
hi,

If you right click on the photo and click "open with" the OS will show you what other programs you have available to open the pic with ... often times you will find programs you didn't even know were there, from Office right down to Paint. Most viewers and browsers have basic editing capabilities and if you have a scanner or dvd or digital camera, look at the disks that came with the hardware, often there are viewer/editing programs included on those.
The program I use most of the time is: Serif PhotoPlus 6.0 as it came bundled with something I bought ... more than basic but not photoshop .... but best of all FREE  ;D for me at least.

Keep Smilin'
John :)

PS ... I'm sure, if you look into the preferences page of your Kodak software there will be settings you can make to prevent it from grabbing everything else. This is a very common ploy for both video and audio viewer/player software and if you look into the setup/preferences you should be able to rein in the scope of the program.

PPS "Open Office Suite" is a good alternative for Office ... compatible with office but free.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:03:05 AM by JohnInFlorida »
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:00:15 AM »
I use the professional version of Adobe Photoshop Deluxe. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:45:39 PM »
i use picassa too and really like it.  free is always good.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:25:29 PM »

I use photo impression 4 and 5.  (They are different, both are easy).  4 came with my canon camera, 5 came with my Epson scanner.  Go figure...

Offline LouAnn

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:00:30 PM »
Try Irfanview. I like it, and also free
Friends are the family I would choose.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »
I use Photoshop, like the unskilled amateur I am. Macs come with iphoto which has some limited editing features. Most scanners come with photo editing software, as do some cameras. Anyone use scanners anymore?

I use NeoOfficeJ a freeware version of Office for Mac—I discovered it when reading forum reviews of Office. (Not for photo edits.) Someone said why buy it when you can do the same for free...

Try doing some Google searches for free photo editing software or office knock-offs. You may find some software at garage sales. Also, very old versions of software can be pretty cheap. Photoshop 6.0 is selling for $1 on ebay, they even claim it's never been registered lol

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »
The Gimp is another freebie but less user friendly. It takes some getting use to. I have used so many. Some would do what I wanted to and others wouldn't.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 06:57:56 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm going to check out all your suggestions, especially the free ones.  I am always afraid to download free software not knowing what else I am downloading to my computer.  Dumb question but why would someone give away software?  Is there a version with more features they're hoping you'll buy so they offer a "light" version as a teaser?
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 08:53:41 AM »
Iphoto and photoshop 7 for me, Iphoto has come along way, I almost don't need to use photoshop anymore..

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 07:37:12 PM »
The Gimp and Open Office are part of the GNU Project. It was started when they came out with a free operating system called Linux.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 04:27:28 AM »
I just have Kodak and PaintShopPro.  Not too technical here.   :no:  I still haven't entirely figured out PSP, either.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 08:01:11 PM »
Adobe Photoshop has a scaled down version that's pretty good.  It won't do everything the professional one will do, but it will do a lot more than most photo editing software.  I don't have it, but my daughter does and she does some pretty cool stuff with it.

Offline I_Love_Koi

• Members
  • With us since: 02/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 08:53:40 PM »
Adobe Photoshop CS2, if you put in the time to learn it, it's awesome  8)
Some people are like a Slinky...  Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"