Author Topic: Ice Covered how about you???  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ice Covered how about you???
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
We have had all the above.  Rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow and more freezing rain.  The lights just flickered here, holding my breath we keep power.  We're in a winter ice storm tonight, they have been calling ice warning for tonight.
Monday before last in the AM, they closed the bingo hall thank goodness and didn't run the midnight session.  We all left at 10:30, it took me to 12:10 AM to get home. Yes, and hour and 40 minutes for an normal 18 minute drive.  I tell you, I was ready to kiss the sidewalk when I got home.

Today, although we've gotten it all it hasn't been as bad to drive on as it was that night.  But the freezing rain is to continue throughout the night.  I hope my work is closed tomorrow, they closed the credit union an hour early today.  They said that never happens.

Any how, everyone stay home and wish hard for spring. 

Kim
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:14:52 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Covered how about you???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »
Quite cold here. More snow expected tonight and all day tomorrow. Sheesh. Seems pretty normal to me. Everyone I have spoken to says " Enough already!!!!"

Ah well , 7 weeks more.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
I am getting the same stuff Kim. Our power went out for 3 hours due to an iced down tree limb falling. It's going to be a mess tomorrow when this rain freezes tonight.

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
Major ice storm here...power went out last night and came back on about 1:00 this afternoon.  More freezing rain has been falling all day, and they're calling for more tonight, followed by rain, sleet, snow or some combination thereof.  We live a the tip-top of a high bluff, so we're pretty much stuck - the roads are impassable.

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
No ice here - yet.  Snowing now, wintry mix to start tomorrow morning.

I saw on the Weather Channel shots of the ice in KY - yikes!   :o
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
We got 5" of snow last night , today it turned to sleet & still at it
this evening .

bonnie

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »
No ice in this vicinity--I think we may have lucked out. I-70 seems to be the dividing line:  below it a wintry mix; above it just snow.  This is the second installment of the same storm.  Last night we got 4 inches....a small 8 hour break and now we're expecting around a foot more until it stops sometime tomorrow afternoon.  <sigh>    :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »
Hope you all stay Safe!!!!!   For once we lucked out...... the storm did not come this far north, I think it's to cold to snow or rain here anyway, single digits, but it did get to the teens during the day.

Lynda great pictures.....the one with the berries looks like the one on the WeatherBug webpage I use for weather.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »
I hate to say so - because I expect a round of boos - but those are beautiful photos.

We are supposed to get a thirty degree drop overnight. Maybe some freezing rain. In this area, that's a biggie.
And everyone already had a cold because of the seesaw of temps we have been experiencing.
I think the old folks are in for a tough time.

Wait a minute! I am an old folk...  @O@

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
The picture with the berries is my carefully cultivated and trained, meticulously pruned Yaupon Holly at the foot of my pond - now a broken mess with huge branches actually IN the pond right now.  I may be nuts enough to go out in freezing rain to take pictures, but I'm not nuts enough to crawl through frozen garden ground to try to cut the branches loose and get them out of the pond. 

Thanks for the compliments on the pix, Sav....I really like the one of the redbark maple branch.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »
We're not expecting any ice or snow here but it is suppose to get back down into the 20's for our lows this weekend. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
I'll take some pics tomorrow.  I took a few tonight, wild looking.  Can't even stand on our deck.  I'll craw out there tomorrow if I have too.  Gotta get some pics of the pond and the deck.  Its wicked looking.  Hundreds of icecicles hanging down.   Its been many years since I've seen anything like this.

I'm not going to work tomorrow, don't care what they say.  Well, I'll go if they come get me.  Its not worth me 8.00 hour for 5 hours and taking a chance of getting killed.

We walked out on our front porch tonight (we have it salted), and you can here tree branches cracking, tree's falling in the distance.  Glad none of my trees are big.  Going to be a long night.  The power keeps flickering.  They just advised people to turn up their heat and get the houses good and warm, and have extra blankets on the beds in case the power goes off.

I'll be fine, I've been sleeping with the window opened about 5 inches every night all winter long, dang those night sweats. I also have the heat vent closed off.  I freeze during the day, burn up all night.  We decided if we loose power, we'll hang out in the boys bedroom.  Its a 14x16, they have their bunk beds, and there is a love seat back there.  So my daughter can sleep on it.  We can take her matress off her twin bed and throw it in the floor and the cushions off the couch and lite the kerosene heater.  So, we do have a plan to stay warm if it needs to be.  Hopefully Not! I really don't want to loose power, had enough of that during IKE.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:29:13 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:53:51 AM »
Hey - Kim
Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?

Have to ask Roark, some of those heaters create CO - and its dangerous.
I know propane is safe, but I don't know about kerosene.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 04:16:55 AM »
Snowing here now, to turn into 'Wintry Mix' late afternoon.
Jamie and I have been home all week so far with the dreaded Rhino Virus.  :(
Might as well take another sick day...plus Jamie still has a fever.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 05:53:43 AM »
The ice storm came and went, almost missed us but not quite.  Majority of the ice storm did go South so we were not in too bad of a shape.  The streets were bad yesterday, just sheet of ice.  Cars went into the ditch or the river.  A tow truck driver had to come back to the same spot an hour later after he towed the first vehicle because another 8-car pile up happened right after that.  The city crew did a great job last night and the communite this morning was much better; streets have been cleared, salted, and sanded.  The storm is now heading East so for those of you who are in the path, be careful driving on the streets.  For the last 2 days, temp was in the teens but today, we are actually going to be in the low 30s, woohoo!!   O0

Kuan

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:19 AM »
It was about 80* yesterday as I took a fast bike ride around the Buffalo Bayou trail.  Then last night it dropped to 34*, with a little rain.

Luckily for us, no snow and no ice.

Kim and others - don't drive if you don't have to.  They'll have everthing cleared in a day or two; just sit home for for today and go out once it's safer. 

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
Yes, snow all day yesterday and ice today. 2nd snow day for the kids today. They actually called me today from the bank and told me to stay home. Woohoo!!!  @O@ Snow day for me, too!!! @O@ They only opened a few of the branches and mine was one of the ones that stayed closed!!!! We got probably 3 or 4 inches of snow yesterday and ice on top of that today. We lost part of a tree in our side yard. And we have a small birch tree in our front yard completely doubled over but it hasn't snapped yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for it!!!
Becky

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »
Very pretty Lynda but sorry to hear that it's damaging..
We've got approx. 1/2-3/4" of ice here along with approx. 10"-12" of snow.

Just came in from taking the 4 wheelers in the woods which is just beautiful right now but we have a few trees down due to the ice and LOTS of droopy ones.  Probably not a really smart thing to be doing though due to the fact that the trees can snap without notice!
LUCKILY we haven't lost power this time 'round but some aren't that fortunate.  Last I heard, approx. 40,000 in the area were w/o power.
Sure hope we don't this time because DH doesn't have either of his generators for work right now!

Stay Safe and Warm Everyone!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »
I have so much ice in my yard too!!!  The ice maker in my freezer will not stop making ice.   :D  It keeps making ice and I have to empty the container outside into the garden beds once in the morning and once before I go to bed.  I also keep the melted ice for my container plants outside since I've turned the sprinklers off.

Beautiful photos, Lynda.  Sorry the beauty is so destructive.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »
Snow and FOG....

8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
No ice here, just snow.

I have two nephews that work for Duke Energy and they were both sent to Kentucky on Tuesday.

Lynda, beautiful pics of the ice, love the holly. o(:-)

Annette, you're a nut :D

Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:56 AM »
Just checking in.  We're OK, my parents got the electric back on Tuesday afternoon.  We're still out at home. 

Said its going to be anywhere from a week to ten days, lines are still falling.  My work has no power, but they are still having us come in.  Talk about a cold day.  So, far I've been lucky they sent me back home.  I stay at my parents house for awhile, enough to get out of the kerosene heater and go back at night.  Trying to keep it warm enough to the pipes don't freeze.  My sister has no power, but she won't leave her pets.  I'm not all that worried about mine.  When I got home last night it was 48 degrees in the house, they're not going to freeze in that.  We burn the kerosene heater during the night on low with a window cracked a little.  That keeps the living room good and warm, rest of the house gets some of the chill knocked out.  I just threw on that koi quilt that I made several years ago.  Found out how warm it is.

Hopefully we'll get power back soon.  Still 170,000 people without.  What they have fixed said some of it keeps going back out again.  The tree branches are still falling.  Said there are more powerlines down now, than during Ike and they keep coming down.  Now I'm really ready for spring and warmer weather.  Take care all.  I'll check in when I can.

Kim

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »
 lol lol lol Annette, too funny.  Better get that fixed

I'm so glad we didn't get anything, air to dry and cold for snow, I've had enough of winter and it's not even half over.  Those that got hit, stay safe and warm.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
Kim - I checked with Roark, Kerosene does make carbon monoxide.
:(

Switch to propane if you can.

Annette - you are going to freeze if you keep that up!  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
All fuels that burn give off a mixture of gases and carbon monoxide is one of them.  It's colorless and odorless.  You may smell fumes from a kerosene heater, but those are not the monoxide.  Remember to have a fresh air source when burning kerosene heaters in the house and don't fill them when they are still hot and remember to TAKE THEM OUTSIDE TO DO IT.  The best way to insure against monoxide poisoning is to have your CO detector in the room with you.  If it's electric and hooked up to a home system, then go buy one at Wally World that has batteries and put it in the room with you.  It WILL go off it the reading gets high enough. 

We had some ice but not like Kentucky.  Just 14" of snow.  No power outages this time around that I know of.  Please stay safe!  :)  It's gonna be a looooong winter  :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 06:32:44 PM »
We finally got our electric on this morning.... @O@....after 3 days with out .

Thank God for generators !  @O@ or I would've been milking the cows by hand !
And we're milking 42 right now !

bonnie

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
We kept a couple windows open while the kerosene heater was going. We were very careful.  Another reason I would go and visit my parents during the day was just to get away from it for a little while too.  They kept the kids there.

I am at home typing this, with my kids at home too.  Yes, we have our power back.  My sister still doesn't.  Everyone on her street does except her.  A branch took out their electric box, and they have to get someone to come out and fix that before they can have their power restored.  We took them over 5 gallons of kerosene.  Hard to find here right now.  My husbands work sent 5 gallons home to us today and we had 5 gallons, so we split it with them.  They can always have our remainder, just keeping it on hand for now incase more trees fall. 

It looks like IKE all over again, I think there are more trees down now than during that and it was bad.  They did say there were more downed powerlines now than then.  The main highways are in good shape.  My work still has no power.  I missed wed-fri, oh well...life goes on.  Hopefully it will be back soon.

Glad to be back.............

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 06:41:38 AM »
It's times like these that make you really appreciate the little things huh, Kim?   ;)  When the power goes out here, we still have heat cuz we heat with a wood burning stove.  It's toasty all the time.  But I HATE (with a capital H!) it when I can't flush the toilet!!!!  :P   >:(-  That's when the generator comes down from his parents' house where they used to milk and we hook it up so we can have power for water.  The barns here have cattle in them too, and cattle can't go long without water.  I hate being so energy dependent!! 
LuAnn

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
LuAnn - generators!
We have a big one at the office, and a little portable that goes wherever we need it.
We are on a well, so with the genny, we have all the conveniences that careful conservation of uses can bring - can't run the microwave and the dishwasher at the same time.
We have a functional fireplace, but its not as useful as a wood burning stove. It gets smokey at times, and doesn't radiate heat as well.

When it gets cold here, which is rare enough, we smush all the cattle and horses into close quarters in the barn - too close to kick or gore each other, and their shared body heat keeps them well.
Its a little awkward to do that with humans. They tend to complain.  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »
Yes Sunbeam, we don't run them 24/7 but for a few hours each day to keep freezers from unthawing, water running, etc.  I used to think I'd be good at living back in the 1800's---nah, give me modern conveniences, flush toilets and my computer.  And I love my family but after 9 days with no electricity and playing cards and board games by candlelight, I felt like I'd entered the "Land of the Living" when the lights came back on!  lol  I almost flew out the door when I saw the power crews coming down the road and hugged the guys in the truck (my DH was mortified) but then he doesn't see it from a female's point of view..... ::)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"