Author Topic: Caltha palustris  (Read 916 times)

Offline cc

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Caltha palustris
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
Caltha palustris, some kind of water marigold and Nopalxochia phyllamthoides, also called German empress or pondlily cactus. Hoping some of you have these two plants, they
are so pretty but nurseries over here don't have them.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Caltha palustris
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »
Marsh Marigolds are common here wild in most any marshy area (spring blooming), they can be located at most nurseries carrying pond plants, however the picture you have seems to have a double flower, more common is the single which looks more like a buttercup.  As for the other it looks a lot like a Christmas Cactus, but by the name I think maybe an Orchid of some type, I would think it would be tropical, and if a cati not wanting to have wet feet in a pond.  Maybe Joyce will give you a better answer.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »
single blooming Marsh Marigold is common here in pond plant sections at nurseries and I have one. Love that double bloom, have never seen that one here nor the white one.

The orchid cactus is not common here but I know that there are pond forum members who have them and who might share a segment. I killed mine that I received :(  greenhouse wasn't warm enough or sunny enough and it rotted.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:35 AM »
Caltha palustris 'Flore Plena' is the name of the double Marsh Marigold.  I'm sure I've seen it offered for sale in the US, but can't remember where.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"