Author Topic: Just to get you thinking......  (Read 1057 times)

Offline PondJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just to get you thinking......
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
I realize that I don't have as long to wait for warm weather as a lot of you do, but I'd love to know just what you are planning in your mind for the upcoming spring.  Is anyone out there going to do something to/with their pond that they have been planning for all winter?  For me, I am desperate to do something about the perimeter.  It is just rocks that collect weeds and I'm so tired of pulling weeds!  Even in the winter they grow here!  So let us all in on your big exciting plans! :thinking:

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just to get you thinking......
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
We are planning to redo our small upper pond, not much bigger no room, but deeper and maybe some above grade.  DH also wants to put in a Lotus pond, as he is sick of hauling the large Whiskey barrells to the basement each fall.  Last year he built a large steel pole barn aka "the Man Shed" it is very close to the lily pond so I have to plan some gardens on the one side to camoflauge it a bit, I'm thinking sunflower varieties, maybe the dahlias or something else maybe something climbing.  I also have a few other flower beds to work at, the one around the main koi pond needs some work, the last few summers we have been busy with elderly relatives, who both passed this fall so now we can get some of our own yard work done.  I have lots of daylilies to split or transplant, so I was thinking of a garden mainly for them also.  One thing I don't lack is yard space to put things, just time to get it done.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »
Right now, I have the yard space and the time but no money. If my wife and I can get back on our feet and get an income coming in steadily again, there are a lot of things that I would like to finish before Spring that are for Spring.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »
Unfortunately it all comes down to time and money for everyone I think.  Right now my problem is time more than money, but I love making plans in my head for the day when (I dream) that I can spend hour after hour working outside in the sunshine!  (Let's see... work full time and away from home 12 hours a day or...not work and not have the money to have a pond at all.... )  Nope.  :-\

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
We need to do an "overhaul" of the entire system. Everything has become out of whack. There's a leak here or there, and the plumbing has shifted due to freeze-thaw. The skippy is not level any more. The skimmer has shifted and also isn't level any more. The mechanical filter box has sunken down at one end.

Everything worked last summer, but you could tell it was off.

What really scares me is that if we start fixing all these little things in the spring, maybe it's time to expand?  :-\
Little things quickly have a way of turning into big things.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:48:30 PM »
I did my biggest expansion last spring, and there's no room to go further.  The garden is pretty much done, too.  And I don't want to set up a temporary pond for spawn, 'cause it takes up too much room, and then - what do you do with the babies??

So I'm looking at a spring and summer with nothing to do but maintenance.  I really enjoy the jazzed feeling you get when you have a project in the works, so maybe I can think of SOMETHING.  Maybe just draining and cleaning the pond, although it really doesn't need it, and it's a stress on the fish. 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »
I'm going to close 4 ponds but make the 3 that I'll have left bigger /deeper .
2 of the 4 ponds are going to be turned into lotus bogs ... smaller lotus's .
Then I've got to redo the fence that's between the ponds & heifer pen ...darn heifer's
like to put their heads through the fence & eat my ornamental grasses . Think
I'll put up a privacy fence that should keep them out !
And I need to do some landscaping around the new house ....and the fun never
ends!

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"