Author Topic: Does having a pond make it hard to sell you house?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline PondJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Does having a pond make it hard to sell you house?
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  We would love to move close to work, but in this market an agent said we would have a lot of trouble, since most people wouldn't want the extra work. 

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Does having a pond make it hard to sell you house?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:02:52 PM »
It may. I've heard of people having to pull them out and fill them in. Could be a hazard for small kids.
Kind of  like a swimming pool in my area. " An attractive nuisance. "

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
This topic has been discussed. As I recall it works both ways.
I have had people over who went nuts for the pond and others who ask, "Isn't it a lot of trouble?"
You only need ONE buyer! o(:-)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:29:14 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
With all our gardens and ponds, it would take the right buyer so yes we have limited our possibilities that way, but then someone could always fill it all in if they wanted.  Before we added our last pond we thought long if we would stay long enough to make it worth it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:13:25 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »
I've not had a permanent home as of yet to answer that question but when we rented this place, there was a liner in the ground already. That was a plus for us.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
Being a pond builder I get asked that question at times by new clients.
From the clients I have worked for,.. speaking with real estate friends,... and discussing the matter with those with experience,.... Jerry is absolutely right.  IT CAN GO BOTH WAYS.

Some prospects look at a waterfeature/ pond as a wonderful asset to the landscape and a INCREASE in price demand when it comes to investment in landscape.   Some see it as a possible hazard for small children, or too much upkeep for what it's worth.
I've had folks sell the house with one of the TIPPING POINTS being the beautiful koi pond in the backyard,.. and others tack it to the list of "ohh gosh,,.. another issue with this house we have to maintain !"  :P 
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
When we put our house in Central Pennsylvania on the market last Summer we set up a deal with a landscaper, that if necessary, he would fill in the pond and re-seed, and as payment he would keep the fish. 

Of the people who came to see the place, no one openly objected to the pind, and the couple who bought it kept the pond.  Great ! 

It's probably a good idea to be able to tell prospective buyers that you, as the seller will pay for filling it in if necessary (really what's it going to cost compared to the selling price?).  Of course, you really don't need one more thing on your "to do" list at that time, but it would mean that the pond won't be a deal breaker.

Jim McD in SVAZ
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »
In my personal situation, it definately is a detriment to selling the place.

I live in a townhouse, and I have a yard, which is a big plus, as most townhomes here do not.  However, my pond takes up virtually the entire yard.  I'm small, and can walk around the 18" wide paths easily, but most people have trouble navigating around the yard. 

If I were to sell the place, I'm sure the pond would have to go. 

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses...lots to think about.  I told my DH that I would only move if I could have another pond....but it would be really hard to see this one filled in....too strange to think about right now. :o

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »
Do you remember the day after you finished the present pond -- when you first said "Gee, I wish we had done..."  And how many times you've said that since.  Well, here's your chance to do a lot of those things.  Which will give you a new day after you finish that new pond.

Good luck,
Jim McD in SVAZ
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
We will be putting our other house up for sale in the near future so hopefully my pond(s) will only add beauty and value.   It's one of the first things that people see as they drive up which is alittle different because alot of folks have ponds in the back yard.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
My house was on the market for 1 week down in Florida. I wish I asked for more. Every person that came through loved the pond. My pond was just outside my dining room windows which you could see day and night. The person I sold the house too wanted a "class" in filter and cleaning before he signed. I went back last year and the pond is looking great and my fish are huge. I am so happy I not only found someone that liked my home and pond, but enjoys the pond as much as I know he does.
  Heck its like I owned my own pond business building company for just a little bit. I made something that someone else wanted to pay for.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
You let the buyer keep your FISH, too??!

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
You let the buyer keep your FISH, too??!

I moved 1000 mies away and did not build another pond for 3 1/2 years.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
According to the real estate agent who is selling my father's house, yes.  Unless you find someone who specifically wants a pond, having one is a detriment.  Even if you do find someone looking for a pond, the chances of finding someone who falls head over heels with the way you built your pond are between slim and none.  And in the current market where nothing is selling, any negative is enough to leave your property sitting on the market for a very long time.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
Easy enough to fill in. >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »
I do know that the realtors around here in my area hate to see ponds. They usually advise to take them out to help sell.
Or, they suggest to modify and change it to a pondless water feature. They are more popular around here than ponds.

I know when my landlord at my previous place put it on the market the realtor didn't even like my stock tank and whiskey barrel water gardens there. She asked if we could get rid of them and I told her no. I know the people who ended up buying the place were pretty adamant that we make sure and take all the water gardens. They wanted nothing to do with them. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »
Our pond was part of why we bought this house.  We have always wanted one, but didn't have the right spot, the right motivation, or something.  There are probably those who don't want the extra work, but for animal lovers I think it's love a first sight.

Good luck with the sale.
Larry

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"