Author Topic: I want more lillies!!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline PondJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I want more lillies!!
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:56 AM »
ok, so I have had about 3 water lillies that I got at Lowe's.  They are pretty and come up every year, but you guys have made me want to get more and I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with just white and yellow now.  SO....where is the best place to get them from???  Come on now, I know everyone out there has an opinion, so let's hear it.  Thanks!!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I want more lillies!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
Nelson's, in Katy, Texas.

There are also a few places in town that sell water lilies (the Backyard Gardener, in the Heights, is one), but the selection and quality is limited.

There are plenty of mail-order places, including people right on this site.  Hopefully they'll chime in.

We also have a waterlily forum, and a plant exchange forum... check the box in the lower right corner and scroll.....

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
HERE!! The Aquatic and Terrestrial Plant Exchange sub-forum.  Come spring there will be lots of people selling, trading and giving away (usually for postage) lilies.  I have done all on that forum, most everyone here that I have bought or traded with have been great and lilies are great also.  Even I will probably have some on this year as all need dividing.  There are a few members here that this is what they do sell lilies, Kat and Lawana are just two.  Make a wish list and post it in the spring.  Here is a link to the picture gallery on the Victoria Adventures page, a great place to view lily pictures and maybe see what you like.....both hardies and tropicals   
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies/waterlilies_galleries_main.html
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
Julles,
I knew that Nelson's had some, but I thought they were way too expensive? 

Marla,
Had no idea there were so many options on this site!! I'll start looking around here.  Thanks.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
I get all of my plants here.  Great people to do business with.
Alfonso

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
Better watch out ... lily fever causes you to buy MANY lilies & to build more ponds to keep the lilies in  ;D ;) :D O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
Oh yes that is what happened to me.....this year it will be a lotus pond if my DH has his way.    Now I don't think I'll have as many as you ever Kat, but they are addicting......I'll probably find the ones that bloom best for me and I like the best and give the rest away....Maybe.
Her secret is patience.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
I plan on down sizeing this year....I've got too many ponds to take care of...LOL

bonnie

Offline Lily

• Members
  • With us since: 22/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
ok, so I have had about 3 water lillies that I got at Lowe's.  They are pretty and come up every year, but you guys have made me want to get more and I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with just white and yellow now.  SO....where is the best place to get them from???  Come on now, I know everyone out there has an opinion, so let's hear it.  Thanks!!

I have a pond store, www.dragonflyaquatics.com.  I guarantee all my plants and do business all over the US.  Your welcome to take a look and see the pictures of all the different lilies available.  Most of the pictures I've taken myself.  I recommend to my customers that if you stick with hardy lilies, hardy bog plants and lotus they will come back yearly for you.  If you sign up to receive my newsletter I often offer coupons throughout the year such as free shipping, percent off etc. plus helpful plants tips.  I'll be offering free shipping in Feb. for all preorders.  I've had a pond for over 20 years prior to them getting so popular.  Its quite an enjoyment that's why I started my own business.  Another great way to get hardy lilies is to trade plants with someone.  We all have to divide our lilies after a few years and end up with extras.  Ask around.

Lily

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »
Lily, wow thanks for posting your site....It is very nicely set up, easy to follow.....you have quite a few lilies that are still on my wish list.  It is always great to find sites reccommended.
Her secret is patience.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
Lily, why do you put snails in the pond? I noticed you included them in some of your packages. I have a wish list made up and I am almost ready to hit send.

Offline Lily

• Members
  • With us since: 22/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
Snails are the natural way to help keep algae under control by consuming algae along sides and bottom of your pond.  Also on rocks, containers etc in your pond.  They also eat decaying matter such as leaves and fish food.  Although it  takes alot of snails to control the algae alone. In order for them to have a positive effect in a pond you need at least 25 for a small pond and 50 or more for a larger pond.  I always suggest to customers to start out with a few and keep adding.  They do multiply but only breed a couple times a year so don't expect them to multiply fast.  Once you place them in your pond you may only occasionally see them as they are dark brown in color and disappear in your pond. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"