Author Topic: Ice Storm pics  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ice Storm pics
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Ventured out and took some more pics.  I didnt' get many before the power outage, and with it being so cold in the house my batteries lost charge pretty quick.

I went out a few minutes ago, and took some.  Everything is melting, giant ice chunks falling off of trees, gutters etc...so I didn't get to close and personal with the pics.  Had to keep a heads up.  Its really warm feeling outside, everything is melting, yeah...but they are watching another storm system coming in....but not talking about ice.  I can deal with the snow, but not the ice.

We're already checking into having some kind of generator thingy put outside, so when we have the wind storms, or like this we will be prepared.  I have a feeling with the winds we had before, and this....the power lines will have problems for a long time.

No that's not our car, a neighbors..

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Storm pics
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
Some more...

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
How do you like the ones of the porch over the deck....I know I won't walk under there right now.  The icicles are bigger than they were in that pic..That's from when  the storm was just about 2 hours old.

The poor kwanson cherry tree, looks more like a weeping cherry tree now.  Hope it springs back.

Ice cicles on the neighbors house. 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:48:39 AM by Ky Kim »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »
Amazing.

What is an ice storm, anyway?  Lots of rain, but at freezing temperatures, so it all turns to sheet ice and icicles?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
You got it Julles.  Everything here was covered by an inch of ice.  It weighted down the power lines and trees, causeing alot of damage.  Our light have been back on for 24 hours now, but they went back out a bit ago for about 30 minutes.  While typing this they just flashed....

This don't happen here often, about every 5 years or so we'll be snow dumped on us.  We did get alot of snow once last year, but it didn't last long.  Last ice storm they said was back in 2003, that was anything really bad.

Kim

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
Yup , that's how it looks here too.
Nice pictures , Kim   O0

bonnie

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »
Kim, We lost power for 2 1/2 days. We are back up and running. Wow what a storm. I missed wednesday through Friday at work. Two of those days I wasn't even allowed to cross the ohio river bridge into Owensboro to go to work. I have a couple of pergola pictures that look like yours.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
It does look like mine.  At first, I was just glancing through and thought I don't remember posting that.  What a minute, that not mine..LOL, then I went back and read.

Its been rough huh. I would rather be out like it was during the winds, than now.

My sister still doesn't have power.  They had it restored for about 6 hours, and its been out again for 2 days.  So they have really been out since it started.  She hasn't been working because of her dogs, and her Grandson that she is raising.  So, I'm off tomorrow...I have volunteered to either, puppy sit, house sit, generator sit, or laundry service for them.  So far she hasn't called.  She was watching the UofL game, and had fell asleep.  Still waiting for a call.

Kim

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Great pictures you two!!!!!!!!! amazing what mother nature does.....not a fan of ice storms, so much devistation.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »
Been there and done that more than once. I feel your pain. Great photos it is beautiful but so deadly.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Pretty but glad to see it going up in the 60's this weekend

Offline lindaky

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Great Pix!  >:(-  ;) We knew it was going to be bad when the guy from the weather channel came and started airing from here a day before the storm. We are still without power. They are saying it could be 2 weeks or more. We stayed in our sons garage with wood burning stove for 10 days. We got a bigger generator and gas heater and came home Fri. night. OMG it's so good to be home. We couldn't get gas or groceries for 3-4 days. There was not a single place with power in this area for 2 days. They were just trying to get the hospitals and nursing homes etc. back on. Finally a few gas stations and groceries got turned back on. The roads were blocked by power lines and trees. We are still driving over dead power lines to get out. FEMA, Red Cross and the National Guard are here helping. We were ok because we had camping stoves, lanterns and fire wood. We had lots of good food from our freezers and lots of company because we were warm. We played cards every night. It was kinda fun for a couple days but got old fast. :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
What difference a week can make.  Its beautiful outside today and around 60, everything has melted.   @O@

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:18:29 AM »
Yeaaaay!

do you guys have power yet?

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
Wow...that's just amazing.   :o
And I griped yesterday because a little rain kept me out of my pond!  Pardon me while I go and count my blessings.......

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »
Beautiful photos of snow scenes and my favorites, the icicles!  The winter wonderland to me is definitely not nice to you.

Love the snow fountain Reddad!

Me too PondJoy.  Been raing for the past few days and I know my fishies are wondering where dinner is!  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"