Author Topic: My Neighbor got a MAC !  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
My Neighbor got a MAC !
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
I am actually more computer literate than he (hard to believe huh?)
He plugged it in and bingo!  he took to it like a duck to water.  NO tower, it is built into the 24 inch Monitor.  Very impressive.  My DELL is not 2 years old, but when it dies, i must consider MAC! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Neighbor got a MAC !
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »
I was at a 10-anniversary-renewal-of-vows last Saturday, and the discussion got around to computers, and the consensus was that Macs are still holding their own, and will soon out place PCs, because they are so user-friendly, and also you don't have to buy brand-specific stuff to make them work.

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »
 O0 You are all dead on!!! We have Mac computers and love them, I am a puter dummy for the most part but I learned this one no sweat. Cool thing is you can run any PC & IBM stuff  on a Mac with one attachment. Easy, Easy LOVE IT. Cheaper to  @O@
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
 :D OH and most viruses are aimed at IBM compatables. Seldom get on on a Mac. Not never but a lot less often. FYI.  lol
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline Jerry

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:39:35 PM »
Won't we lose a few favored programs?   Can I get my photo in to the MAC from my DELL?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »
I would like to get a Mac but I would have to purchase so many new programs that more than doubles the price..... :(

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
I hate to burst your bubbles, but PC computers are in no danger of being overtaken by Apple anytime on the saturation level.  I have no problem with Apple and MACs at all but PC is the way of 99% of the business world and that will always keep them on top.

I priced out a MAC when I got a new system and for the same price I got twice as much computer in the PC and had many options for what configurations I wanted and price levels for the options because there are so many people making things for the PC world unlike the mostly propritary world of Apple.  Where is the idea coming from that you need to buy brand specific stuff for the PC?  The exact opposite is true.

The reason most viruses are aimed at the PC world is because there are so many PCs.  If you are going to do damage and that is your intent with the virus why waste your time infecting a few Apple computers when you can wreck thousands of PC based machines?

So people by an Apple machine then buy something else so they can run the PC software (again, zillions of software packages for PC compared to Apple) so why didn't you just buy a PC to run PC software?  Easier to run PC software on a MAC?  Don't see how.  You take a performance hit when you do that on top of it so everything is slower.

No Apple computers for me, but enjoy yours if you have it!

Bart

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »
Back when companies needed hundreds of computers for their employees, Apple didn't budge on the price so they bought PC's.  Now companies need thousands of computers for employees (many at my company have two PC's on their desk...some three or more) and it's so much more cost effective to buy 4,000 PC's than Mac's.  The way I see it, Apple missed out...it was a budget decision and I don't think too many large companies are going to transition from PC to Mac.

On the other hand, I find a bit of humor in the "no viruses" argument.  Of course there are more viruses for the PC...there are tenfold more PC's to infect and on a corporate level at that.  What's the fun in finding out that you crippled a couple home office nerds while your hacker buddies are out crippling corporations and industries, and keeping the virus software people busy?  It's a supply and demand issue...  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
My PC is only a year old, not changing in the foreseeable future
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
All Windows is, is a version of the Mac platform.  They simply are trying to build the PC to operate like a Mac...and with building it on the old format, it isn't as easy to operate as the Mac.
True, it is cheaper and there are a lot more applications for the PC, but the popular ones are readily available for both the PC and the Mac.  The Mac products seem to be more innovative...with Steve Jobs and his crew developing the Mac, that is expected.  There seems to be more bells and whistles with the Mac leading the way with new ideas and such.
I have both and by far, prefer the Mac.  It's pricier, but worth every penny.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
MJ, that is what MAC users say.  All I have met are very pleased.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
A friend is a new Mac user and she gave me a brief tour of how she uses the Mac primarily for scrap-booking and graphics.  It was absolutely amazing.  A pc just can't do what she did with her Mac.  With her Mac she got 52 weeks of personal training for an hour each week.

I will also ask this on the Techy forum.  We have two PCs and a laptop all networked for sharing files, music, printers etc.  If I got rid of my pc and replaced it with a Mac, would I loose all the networking abilities?

Offline Bartman

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
What did she do with her MAC that can't be done on a PC?  I'd love to know that.  I'm betting I can do it on my PC just as easy.  Why does it come with 52 hours of personal training if it is so easy to learn?

Yes, you can network a PC and a MAC.  I've never had reason to do that, but it can be done.

Bart

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »
All I can say Bart is that you would have to see it to believe it. 

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
A friend of mine owns a business and has one Mac and four PC's (cost, I imagine) and he networks them together and also with his home computers (which are PC's).  As for one being better than the other, a program is written by the software company so it's going to work the same on both platforms.  There are pros and cons to both, and whatever works for one may not work for another.  One of the biggest pet peeves by Mac users is the old "one-button" mouse.  Now they have a "PC-style" mouse!  lol

One day my friend was giving me the "no Mac viruses" argument and I went on line and searched.  In five minutes I found a Mac virus and the removal tool, and he just happened to have the virus on his Mac, and since he networked it spread to his PC's as well.  It was a pain to remove, but he finally removed it.  There are more PC viruses, sure....probably written by angry Mac users!  lol

The one thing that I find rather comical is the latest Mac ad campaign where they spend their time trashing the PC.  Why resort to that type of "political-type" mudslinging??  They should adopt the philosophy that Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's, put into policy: "Never mention the competition for any reason".   Makes sense....if your product is as good as you claim, why would you need to make the competition look bad by comparison?
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
Macs have their place. They are the industry standard in the graphic arts and print media industry and always have been. I've never really used anything but a MAC until I started with the fire dept. and had to do patient care reports on the PCs. I do far more swearing at the PC then the MAC. ;)
The advantages to the MAC is ease of use, they rarely have the operating problems and glitches that PCs do and they don't get viruses that destroy your hard drives.
The downside is yes, there is less software available and it is more expensive and file sharing with PCs users can be a challenge but that has improved in the last several years and will improve in the future.
I'm getting ready to buy a MAC laptop soon. :) I thought about getting a PC but decided I had better just stick with the MACs. :) Why change after 16 years. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Rick

• Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »
I have the same computer, 24 inch mac. They are fantastic
Thanks,
Rich

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"