Author Topic: It sounds like Braeden may go home  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
It sounds like Braeden may go home
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
for a while. Dawn said this morning that they are doing their best to pull it off. I know nothing more than that. I asked her if he could walk and she said she doubted it as he's been in the hospital bed for about 5 weeks.

The Disney Make a Wish trip of course is off but they said to try to think of something local or even something at home. He cannot travel so the Social Worker asked if he had ever played with a (is it) Wii? Sounds like weeee. Dawn said that someone brought one into their room about a month ago and he played it then. The SW suggested they request the Wii and a flat screen TV. They are looking into it.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: It sounds like Braeden may go home
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »
I simply cannot believe how strong you and all the family have managed to be.  Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and have been with you all thru this . . . . I do hope he gets to go home.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
That is wonderful, Esther.  He will be so much more comfortable at home.  No harsh white walls and nurses barging in prodding and pricking.  There's a lot more to keep him occupied at home, too.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
That is good news , Esther !
He'll probley be happier at home with his family all around him

bonnie

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
yes Bunny is so right. o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:16:02 PM »
WOO HOO~!  @O@ @O@ @O@

Live or die, its better to be home.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:37:48 AM »
Well I sure hope Dawn and Kevin can pull this off.  It will be so much nicer for everyone to have Braeden at home. 

Continued warm thoughts to all.
emm

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
I'm so happy for Braeden and your family, I truly hope he gets to come home.  It will be much nicer for everyone.  You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, Esther.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »
 I hope this helps Breaden rest and enjoy himself at the comfort of his home.

Esther, this is where hospice is at its best. I know you had a bad time with them. At the home environment they are able to come in and help more than at a hospital setting. At the hospital they are more in the way of the doctors and nurses. At home they are able to do things for Breaden and the family a little better.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
This is good to hear and I was going to post the same thing that reddad did about hospice.

If you aren't happy with the hospice service the hospital provides, select another and use them.. Home Healthcare can be a very good thing too.

Hugs, thoughts and prayers to all,
Bonnie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
I wonder if that is what is happening. I have not been at their house since a week ago yesterday so don't get the daily updates like when I'm there. But I do know they had another meeting scheduled last week with Hospice. So maybe they will help out with him being home. I didn't mean to make it sound like Hospice was bad or anything. We had a wonderful experience with them when Pete's dad died.

Dawn's stepmom and dad took baby Owen to Detroit to stay with them for the week. I think he came back today. So if they can arrange for Braeden to come home, then maybe they won't need me any more, at least not to stay 24/7. 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
Esther, it is so nice to hear that the big guy is going home.  I know how much I didn't like the hospital when I had to stay there (3 days only) so I can only imagine how much better it is to be home with family.  I will continue to pray for you and family.

Kuan

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »
Good news, yes being at home is a nice option and with hospice care things could me more relaxed for all.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
then maybe they won't need me any more, at least not to stay 24/7.

Esther you are part of the family. You are one of the main cogs in the wheel of family. You are doing a great job. Hang in there. Your rewards come from knowing the amount of help you have given. It is a selfless task. You have been a strong woman throughout this. Breaden still needs you. You will get your rest through these posts. You will get your rest through knowing you have done all you can. You are doing a fabulous job of being a mother and a loving grandmother. Your thoughts are always expanded twofold when you post here. We all have you, Braeden, family in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. Be strong and know you have a wall of faith behind you.

Love to your family, Jim

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
I'm so happy and relieved for Braeden. :)

We used Hospice for my stepfather too...was wonderful.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
After church this morning, we drove down to the hospital. Braeden was a little grumpy and pulling all of our strings. "Mommy, hold my drink bottle." "Grandpa, I want grape juice." "No Grandma, you can't sit on my bed." All this was with those little frown wrinkles in his forehead. Mommy said that he had slept very well last night so she thought he'd be in a good mood today. Not to be!! Let's see, his nose hose has been removed. The tummy drain was removed because the tumor for some reason is no longer giving off fluids like crazy. And some other tube is no longer being used. I can't remember. We stayed for about an hour and Pete held the little bath pan so Braeden could shoot his sponge rockets into it with his sponge gun. The nurse came in and said that because it was so beautiful outside today and getting a lot warmer, they would bundle him up and take him OUTSIDE in the wagon a little later. I was surprised that they went out yesterday too.

Dawn said that they are trying to get things arranged for him to go home tomorrow. I guess Hospice arranges for the equipment and brings it to the hospital with a portable pump. Then they can go home and make the transition. Kevin is taking this week off from work to help out. They are setting up a bed in their bedroom so that if he is up in the night, he won't wake the baby and vice versa. They're hoping that someone who lives near them will be able to take Eliana back and forth to school. They live in the country and the busstop is about an eighth of a mile from their house so as long as they have to get the car and baby out anyway, Dawn just goes on to school about 3 miles farther.

By the way, Kevin's boss came to him and said that if he felt that it was necessary, he could "just not come in" until this is over. Can you imagine??? They have had several people offer to give him vacation days so he doesn't get short paychecks for missed days. I guess a lot of what Kevin does is accomplished on the computer so he can still work whether he is at home or the hospital or work.

This has worked out so well. I mean the timing of when they needed us to live at their house and when Pete needed to start working at the duplex. Even now, he was getting to the point where the things needing to be done were the things I always either did or helped him with. For instance it is my job to clean the kitchen appliances, cupboards, tubs/sinks, wash windows, fix little things that need caulking, tightening, or replacing, replace switch/plug plates, haul out trash, keep things organized and track of what we need to buy. We work together on tiling. I measure and he cuts the tile. He butters the tile and I lay it. Then when it's ready to grout, we do it together. He does 99% of the painting and of course any construction or deconstruction of any sort. This time he had to tear up the bathroom floor clear down to the floor joists because it was rotting out. I'll tell ya, if this floor rots out in 5 years, I just give up. First he put down plywood and then a layer of cement board (Hardybacker) and then we caulked the seams and all around the edges. Then we tiled, using a thick layer of mortar/glue. I caulked along the tub and between the tile the goes up the side of the tub and along the surround on each side. Then we tiled between the surround and the ceiling. I caulked there too. Then I grouted all the rest. I bought the expensive sealer for the grout. It says to use two coats and it's good for 20 years. I just soaked it. In fact so much, it was hard to get the excess off the tiles. I was determined that the next family who let their little kids swim in the tub wasn't going to ruin that floor again.

Speaking of the next family, I think we have someone already. They want it by the end of the month......AND YAYAYAYAY, they are willing to pay---get this----$10 a month in order to have a dog. ANDANDAND, they don't have little kids, just one 14 year old. ANDANDNANNDNNANANNDANNNNDDDDDD, the husband and wife both have real jobs and aren't on welfare or assistance. Oh and they were concerned about the folks in the other side. Would they be a problem or noisy? They are about 75 so thus far haven't been either. The new guy offered to mow both lawns. I told him that was between the two families.

Pete and I have come to the conclusion that the main problems with tenants is, #1. small children, #2. pets, #3. water, and #4. fire. Obviously the kids spill on the carpet, clog the toilet, slop water in the bathroom, write on the walls, leave bits of toys and papers in the yard. The pets (and their owners) leave behind fleas, scratched and damaged doors and woodwork, and animal feces. We already covered the water problem. But these folks had leaking traps in both the kitchen and bathroom and never told us. The water bill had skyrocketd from the last quarter but it was because the toilet would stick and run and run. Jiggle the handle you say??? Why do that??? And supposedly both units were being lived in by people who didn't smoke in the house. The tub has burn stains on the edge and in the other unit the sink has burn marks. It is one of those one piece vanity tops. These folks would take things apart that was to the house and then not keep the pieces so instead of our being able to fix it, we have to buy new stuff.

Enough of my rant. This started to be about Braeden. LOL. I just was saying that last week Dawn's stepmom took baby Owen for the whole week and freed me up to work on the duplex and now it looks like Dawn and Kevin won't need me this week either so we can get the duplex done with Pete's son's help.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
Wow Esther, to everything!!   :D  Your are lucky to have Pete and your family and they are so lucky to have you!  There's just no accounting for the way people live is there?  Again, love and prayers.. :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the update Esther.  O0

It's good that you have that apartment renovation project to keep you busy during all this stess and heartbreaking times.
And wont it be nice to have a decent family in there for once!  8)
You're motivating me to 'consider' doing our bathroom renovations myself.  ;)

Hope all goes smoothly tomorrow!   :thumbup:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 05:17:13 AM »
Well they were scheduled to go home yesterday but about noon they learned that the home care company that provides all their equipment and meds, does not carry some of the meds Braeden needs. But fortunately, it can be ordered but won't be in until probably Wednesday. Dawn said that one thing she has learned through all this is to make their plans loosely and then be ready to flex. Oddly enough, that is one thing she has needed to learn. She's doesn't flex very well. LOL. I had to learn that too when I had young kids.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
Just got a phone call from Dawn saying they made it home this afternoon. She will have to handle some equipment and meds that she is not familiar with so is a little nervous about it. But she is very good with stuff like this and has had experience working in the drug area of a pharmacy during college so has had some exposure.

The social worker advised them to tell Ian and Eliana that Braeden will probably die at home so they won't be so shocked when it happens. She also said that often the sick children die at night. She wondered if it is so the family isn't so upset to see it happen.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »
This is wonderful news, Esther.  I know he, as well as the whole family, is much more comfortable. 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »
Esther, so glad to hear that Braeden is finally home.  I'm sure he is happier in his own home with familiar surroundings.  Thanks for the update.  Sending lots of prayers and comforting thoughts to the family.

Kuan

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »
Good news Esther.  I hope this works out for them and they can all be a little more comfortable and relaxed.  I sincerely hope that Braeden's last days with his family pass gently. 

Did a Wii game ever arrive?  Everyone I've seen play with it has so much fun (small children right up to my 87 year old mum).  Even if Braeden is not up to playing with it himself kids seem to enjoy watching others play.  I don't get that but that seems to be the way it is. 

My thoughts remain with you and all of your very special family.  emm

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
Esther, I'm glad Braeden made it home sweet home.  Please make sure the family makes good use of the hospice people.  They are usually very good and help alot at home.  May take some of the burden off the parents so they can spend more time with each other.  Talking is good.

My prayers are for you and your family and especially Braeden.  May all be well....

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
Glad to hear they are home!

Be sure that Dawn asks many of questions until she understands.

One thing to ask if they aren't told is who to call and what to do if Braeden does pass away at home..
When my first FIL (step) passed away it was a nightmare, we couldn't get ahold of the hospice nurse and it took a couple of hours before the guys at the funeral home came.
Now when my other FIL passed away, it was totally different.  One thing because we had already gone thru it plus this hospice service was Excellent unlike the one that we had before.

Thoughts, Hugs and Prayers continue,
Bonnie

Just got a phone call from Dawn saying they made it home this afternoon. She will have to handle some equipment and meds that she is not familiar with so is a little nervous about it. But she is very good with stuff like this and has had experience working in the drug area of a pharmacy during college so has had some exposure.

The social worker advised them to tell Ian and Eliana that Braeden will probably die at home so they won't be so shocked when it happens. She also said that often the sick children die at night. She wondered if it is so the family isn't so upset to see it happen.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they were able to take him home. I'm sure he'll be much more comfortable there in familiar surroundings as well as the rest of the family.
Hospice should know what to do when he does pass. How its handled depends on laws in your area.
In some states EMS must be called to confirm the death or if no one was present when the person passed.
I'm not sure why but it does seem that people in general tend to pass away at night or very early morning hours. More often that not we get paged out for a CORE or expected death in the very early morning hours, seems like usually between 3:00 and 6:00 am.
I know this isn't easy for all of you but I do hope his passing is as peaceful as possible. :'(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
Yup, I have had all the same thoughts as your comments. As for the kids, they are used to their dad explaining stuff. He's good that way. I know that I talked to Ian about how desperate this situation was and he said he figured it out himself because of how much they had to be in the hospital and all the fuss all the time. I asked him if he thought Eliana understood and he said he didn't think so. But she's only 7 and it's sad that she has to learn the reality of life and death in such a short time.

Yes Hospice is involved but I don't know how much. They live about a hour drive from Grand Rapids so I don't think they are going to want to be running up there every day but I don't know. Maybe they have people closer to them than GR. Besides, Dawn isn't real quick to admit she needs help. I told her today that the duplex is about done and then I can come up and sit with the kids while she goes out or just be there to help with laundry or Owen. She didn't say anything to that.

I asked her how they were doing (Kevin took the week off work) and she said she was surprised at how well the night had gone. I hope it continues. She said she's nervous about one of the meds as it has to be mixed and she has to be very meticulous about it.

Here's the update from today's Care Pages:
Well, after much rearranging of meds and schedules and many teary goodbyes, we FINALLY came home yesterday!!!!!!!

We arrived home around 3:30. Ian was already home, so he and Bub headed to Bub's room to make sure all his toys were still there and have some play time. Braeden was also so excited to see Eliana when she got home from school. He was only mildly pleased to see Owen (little jealousy going on there!). One of our hospice nurses met us here along with a nurse from the home care company to finish getting Braeden's "stuff" set up and go over things with us. Fortunately, it's pretty simple. ;-)
Sarah (hospice nurse) came back about 9 to do his meds with us, and we settled him in to his bed, which is now in mom and dad's room. He went to sleep pretty fast and had a good night. Owen had a good night too!
This morning, Sarah came to check Braeden's blood pressure and go over changing his IV fluid bags and programimg his pumps. I get to play pharmacist now as well as nurse, but I think I've got the jobs down.
All in all, Braeden so far is doing very well at home, and we are so thrilled to have him here.

It's been a very emotional week, lots of highs and lows--getting here being THE high, and saying so many goodbyes being a big low. We have been so blessed to have had so many wonderful caregivers in our lives and will forever appreciate all they have done for Braeden and for us. We love you guys--take a picture of your Blue Moon tongues for me!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:56:35 PM by Esther »

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
Yes Esther, it is so sad that the kids have to experience this at a young age.. heck as adults we can't even understand at times WHY??!!

Hopefully Dawn will ask for additional help when needed, just the mental stuff is bad enough for her to be going thru right now, caring for someone around the clock can be very exhausting.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"