Author Topic: photos of my living room remodel  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
photos of my living room remodel
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
All the others were previously posted months ago.  This is the last of them.

A reminder that the before side of the photo was all the previous owners stuff that went with them.  Unfortunately, they didn't take the wheelbarrow full of dirt that I have since cleaned out of this place.

My friend's wife helped me with almost all of this.  She was able to translate my general ideas on colours and styles into something I could work with that wouldn't break the bang.  My touches were the art and table.  Some of this just started to come together in the last month as the right pieces were found.

The table needs accessories yet.  I have an idea about some form of glass artwork.  I will, hopefully, be going out to B.C. this summer and want to stop at a glass blowing place while there.  I was there before and admired a bunch of pieces they had, but at the time my living room wasn't really ready for art.  I really would like to find the right piece out there as it would be totally unique.  I'm also open to ideas from anyone who as the eye for it.

The corner between the sofa and the wall also needs a vertical element.  I an thinking of a lamp, but also lean towards softening it which a lamp will not do.  I had plants, but after 18 months they started to die and the replacements only lasted six months so I'm off the plant kick.  I don't think I want fake ones in there, but haven't ruled it out.

The square photos are my own design of the frames and right now they have photos taken by myself and one of my friends from the garden at the farm.  They are do for a change as that was also the intent, but for two years I've been so busy here with whipping this place into shape I have not had time.  I have a lot of neat ideas for those four frames.

The next big project is a contemporary fireplace under those four photos.  No mantle or hearth, just a sleek flame in the wall using up no space.

I really like how this room turned out.  It is probably my favorite.

Bart

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: photos of my living room remodel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
Looks great

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »
I really like your use of earth tones Bart, and modern style.  Man, the people before you really like BLUE didn't they?  :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Looks spiffy! O0

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
WOW...it looks so much better now...LOVE the warm colors!  :clap:

Sean, if you have Michaels up there, they have these killer fake ferns now in real terra cotta pots.
I bought 4, and they fool everyone who sees them.
There are not huge, but there are VERY realistic.
Have one in each bathroom, one here in the computer room, and one in the living room, as little accents.
I'll take pix if you want.

Another thing you can try and would fit in nice with your color scheme is large containers with bamboo pole arrangements in them.
Also twigs and branches in big clay pots look good. Pier One Imports has a lot on display if you need to get any ideas.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
Fabulous makeover!  Looks so much more comfortable for relaxing or entertaining (hint-hint).  Missing the blue though....NOT!!!  ;D

Ya done good!  O0

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »
Great job Bart O0

Looks very comfy. And I like to use color like you.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »
It looks great!  I love the red wall, with the horizontal row of pictures.  And glad to see someone using wallpaper (that's how I earn my living!!).

For a tall vertical element, there is something called a "leaner."  It's not one definate thing, but any object that is long and slender that is leaned against a wall.  Skis, bamboo stalks, part of an old door, etc.  Also there is the idea of taking an old ladder and either spreading the legs or leaning it against the wall, and using it for display space.  Say, for those faux ferns Joyce is talking about.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah, the "blue".  Glad you guys noticed!

The wallpaper must have been 30 years old.  Came off not too bad.  The wall was in bad shape so it made sense why they covered it.  The worst part was steaming it off since every smell for 30 years was released out of that wallpaper!  I didn't think the place would ever smell like my own house.  My brother would come in and find it revolting for the first month of destruction.

I'm interested in the photo of those ferns Joyce.  How tall are they?  I don't have a Michaels in this city, but get to one every now and again.  If you have them in your house then I'd have them in mine.  I was turned off by the fake look of so many of the plants.  If you use them when you would be more than capable of keeping a real plant alive then that is the selling feature.  I'm not sure about terra cotta pots or bamboo though.  I don't know if I want to introduce anymore sticks either.  It is a difficult corner as the room is already full and only one chair really sees what might sit on the floor for pots, yet it all must fit my idea of the style.  A taller funky lamp might work with a shorter vase in front with something sticking out of it.  I have yet to get the feeling of something being "right" as I've browsed around.

Bart

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
What a HUGE improvement!  You really brought it up to date and it looks so much better!  I think old wallpaper comes off better than the new improved variety, especially if they didn't add extra paste . . . but I know what you mean about the smells in it.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
Teresa!  How are you?  Long time no see!

Bart

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »
Thanks Bart. You sure have been working your buns off and with good results. Did you ever do the spare bedroom? It seemed like you were thinking toward some Asian influence in there.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
Your living room looks great Bart!  You've got great ideas and you've done a good job pulling it together.  It's a very welcoming room you've created.  emm

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Looks GREAT!!!!! O0  The wall color looks like the color we just put on our den walls, now we are waiting for the carpet.  In the meantime I'm removing wallpaper from the downstairs hall and foyer.....thought it was a good idea 20+yrs ago, but take down is not fun.   When that is done I will get the wallpaper off the small bathroom and paint in there.  Dh wants me to leave the paper above the chair rail, he likes it, and only remove the lower paper, but I may win this one and remove it all.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »
Wow Bart - didn't you just jump decades!
Especially like the floor.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
Very nice.  I like the spot lights on your paintings and the wood floors.  Did you put the wood floor in yourself?  If so, how long did it take?
Alfonso

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
Looks rich, warm and inviting.  Outstanding job.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 10:56:10 AM »
Wow, what a difference.  You did a great job.

I love blue, but not that much.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »
Bart, it looks fantastic. Love the colors on the walls and the art/photos. What a huge change for the better.

Joyce, pic of fake ferns please? I am sad that my house does not have good windows for plants and we are so dark here for so many months that keeping houseplants is really hard.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
Thanks.

I really like the dark floor although it shows everything really easy.  I did get a professional decorator in to consult on the floor.  Initially I was thinking lighter to match the oak cabinets in the kitchen to try and tie it all together, but after looking at many samples of colours we just kept going back to the rich It's all just laminate.  I had it professionally done.  The whole main floor is done with the same pattern and that meant a realy long run down the hallway not to mention every room has its own issues to deal with so I didn't want to tackle it at all.  It was stressfull enough just waiting for it to be done never mind doing it!  It took the guy only a day to do the living room an hallway and a couple hours each for the bedrooms and computer room.  When you know what you're doing it goes fast.  I'd have slave away at it for days.

The spare bedroom was going to have a total Asian theme to it, but that was changed.  Having one "fantasy" room in the house really didn't fit so it ended up pretty much neutral browns and blues (so not all the blue left the house, two rooms just got different shades from the baby blue that was there).  I posted pictures of that room a few months ago.  I call it the "earth and sky" room now with the colours.

Bart  

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
Here are the ferns.
I love ferns but they always drop leaves as soon as you bring them inside...not enough humidity.
They are only about 12-15" wide deoending on how you fluff the fronds.
They are in real terra cotta pots, with dried green spagnum moss groundcover glued over the foam 'soil'..
Bathroom Fern...

Coffee Table Fern...

I need to go back to Michaels and get one more for my office. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Looks Great ! Nice warm colors... o(:-) .
I like blue but not that much in one room  {nono}

bonnie

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »
Those ferns are great.  O0

Bart, I have laminate in the kitchen and laundry room that looks like stone. It is so easy to care for and ten years old now seems new. We have hardwood in the rest of the house and it is so easy to scratch or dent. I prefer the laminate.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
My kitchen laminate looks like tile.  It shows very little in the way of scratches, etc..  The dark wood look, on the other hand, seems to scratch pretty easy.  Thankfully I have no kids running around or I think it would really show the worst.  Overall, though, it looks good and I know no floor will look like new forever.  It is a floor afterall.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"