Author Topic: I saw my first  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I saw my first
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
ROBINS, and a VULTURE today!!  @O@  I took a short walk (cuz the wind was STILL blowing) at 40 mph, but it felt good to be outside!!  My coat sounded like a paper bag in a wind tunnel but the air smelled so good (like dirt) and flocks of birds were landing in the fields eating insects and worms I'll bet.  I was glad to see my fish again too:  this morning they stayed tight to the bottom but this afternoon they were following me around the top of the pond.  One of my cats is very curious about them, I even saw her try to "paw" one as it swam by...I swatted her behind and it scared her.  Hopefully, she doesn't "hook" one with a claw... >:( 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I saw my first
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
It seemed like the Robins stayed around alot longer this year..
Hummm maybe all of the wind we had blew them in!

Guess I can't use that excuse though because  my Dad was just telling me last week that he saw Vultures and was wondering why they were around.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
I've seen robins but yesterday, I saw a huge Bald Eagle. It was as big, if not bigger, than a turkey buzzard.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »
I would love to see an eagle around here, we do have them.  I see a lot of hawks instead, though.  A few days ago my 17 year old dd said the front yard was FULL of robins, the first of the year.  I haven't seen one myself yet.  I feel badly for them, because it's still quite cold here. 

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:00:51 AM »
That's a good sight. I wonder if seeing them is even more important than a groundhog seeing his shadow?

I love it when the air smells of dirt. To me that means spring.  @O@
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
Karen, I surely think seeing robins is a better sign of spring than that blasted groundhog.  OF COURSE we're going to have 6 more weeks of winter, it's only Feb. 2!!!!   :D   ;)  Many robins never leave here, instead they go deep into the woods and in thick pine woods.  I've taken walks and seen them in the woods in the dead of winter with lots of snow on the ground.  I don't know what they eat, but if there's running water I'm sure they hang tight and try to find any open ground they can.  Of course, they are berry eaters too.   :)  Everything here smells of dirt, such a primal smell!!  Oh and of course at my house--cow poop too!   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »
No robins here yet.  I was on my annual Sisters week at my parents cabin in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan...they have a resident eagle that pearches in the tall pine that we have the tarzan swing on by the dock.......got a chance to see it, but I went to get my camera and my sister got to close to fast to the large picture window and scared it away to it flew to the other side of the river, I took one picture but it was pretty far away to get a good one

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"