Author Topic: Will Koi Eat a Dead Koi? - New Injury  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Will Koi Eat a Dead Koi? - New Injury
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
I've had another death in the pond.  This time a large silver koi with those huge Deutch scales.  No signs of illness or distress, perfectly fine the day before.

The fish had been dead probably most of a full day when I found him.  His stomach had been cut open and some innards eaten.

Question:  Do you think it was the other fish who did this?

The thing is, the cut looked deep and smooth, and not what I would envision being done by fish pecking away at the dead fish with their mouths.  The pond is mostly covered with chicken wire, so I doubt that a bird or mammal got to the fish - also, there were no marks on the top of the fish, only his stomach.

The only other possibility is a turtle, which could make a clean sharp cut in the belly.  But to my knowledge, there are no turtles in the koi pond.  Even so, I can't imagine a turtle attacking and killing with one bite a strong 14" koi.

One fish has died of dropsy.

Now two have up and died suddenly of unexplained causes.

Starting to get upset.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:45:03 AM by Julles »

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Will Koi Eat a Dead Koi?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
I have no answers for you, but I'd agree that it's not another fish.... sorry for the losses  :'(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
I do know that fish will eat dead fish if it were in the water for a while.  How your fish got a slice cut I can't imagine.  Sorry you are finding sick fish.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
Oh, definitely - I meant that the slice didn't come from pecking.  I've seen that in my cichlid tanks  :P

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »
I'm a newbie here so pardon me for butting in here. I would wonder if the fish caught it's underside on something in the pond like around your pump or filter perhaps? Maybe a zip-tie or hose clamp?
Sorry you lost your fish :(

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Of course they will.  But pretty sure that they didn't slice him open to begin with.  Start searching for sharp edges EVERYWHERE.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
I would be inclined to think turtle.
We had a snapping turtle a couple years ago and it split large koi in half. :'(

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:32:09 AM »
I'm so sorry this is happening to you.....   :'(   Wish I had some answers.

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Will Koi Eat a Dead Koi? - 'Nother Fish w/Injury
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday I noticed ANOTHER fish with a bad abraisian / cut.

This time it COULD be caused by getting caught and rubbing against something rough.  But I am leaning more and more towards a turtle.  I do have turtles in an enclosure nearby, and possibly one escaped and got into the koi pond.

The new injury is a round blemish about 1/2" round, maybe a tad larger.  The scales are rubbed off, and there is damage to the tissue beneath; it looks fairly deep, although there is no blood.  The fish is swimming and eating and appears OK, but I'm going to try to catch him and get him into some saltwater.

It is on the flat side of the fish, so it's hard to envision a turtle getting a bite out of that area.  A turtle would need an edge or corner to get a bite into.  I also don't see why a turtle would go after large koi, when there are smaller, bite sized, slow moving fan tails much easier to catch.

Nonetheless, I'm worried that it's a turtle.  Am planning to break the whole pond down Saturday and go huntin' for whatever is attacking my fish.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
Re: Will Koi Eat a Dead Koi? - New Injury
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
Julles, are your fish spawning???  Just asked as you are in a warmer area.  If so they may be spawning injuries, they can get pretty aggressive during the spawn and if you have rocks in the pond they can easily become banged up.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
That's a point, Marla.  The females are getting fat, but don't appear quite fat enough yet.    I have not observed any spawning behavior as of yet.  But you never know what they do when you're not looking!   ;)

If I empty the pond on Saturday, as I am thinking of doing, to find the turtle, the change of water and temp shock has, in the past, caused them to go into spawn the next day. 

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Sounds like a snapping turtle to me. They wander on land quite a bit looking for places to lay eggs and find new ponds to live in.  I have lots of big sliders but I don't have any koi. my sliders don't chase my shiners or fat head minnows but will eat a dead one.   But snappers are ambushers.  they bury themselves and will bite anything that gets close enough and isn't fast enough to get away.     If you have a turtle they will leave turtle head shaped bite marks in your lily leaves. and your fish.         they leave a pretty smooth edged triangular bite but you might see torn skin and scales to either side of the bite where the turtle used its claws to tear the bite out of the fish. they always use there claws this way especially on big prey.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »
That pretty well describes the mark on my dead silver koi, Mike. 

I was going to tear the whole pond down yesterday and look for a turtle, but we had "weather" coming in, and I decided to put it off.  Didn't want to get half way through and then be forced indoors by a storm.

Now I'll have to wait a while until I get another day when I can devote to draining and cleaning and refilling it.   

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »
Why not put your koi in a tub or small pool and set a turtle trap to catch the turtle. It might be less work unless you want to overhaul the pond anyway.   A friend of mine made a box trap to rid her half acre pond of snappers because they were eating her lilies so bad they couldn't get ahead of the turtles.    It's basically a wood framed box with, I think 1 in. dia. chicken wire for walls about 2 ft. long and as wide as any turtle you want to trap. I think that all she had was an inward swinging door hinged at the top that couldn't open outwards. This was propped up with a stick and weighted so it would just sink. That way it won't come down hard on the turtles back and scare it as it crawls to the bait tied at the other end of the box. The turtle knocks down the supporting stick and the door slowly closes behind him.   Make SURE you secure the trap well with the bait end slanting up and extending ABOVE THE WATER or the turtle will DROWN.   Make sure it cant move into deeper water with a struggling turtle rocking the cage trying to get out.   I would say to bait it with chicken or liver.    Oh yea the trap worked for my friend and she said the snappers where delicious.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"