Author Topic: Koi messing in plants  (Read 1041 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi messing in plants
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
Julles,

I believe you are the person who asked if the Koi mess in my plants in the pool to pond conversion.  They try but I have gotten pretty good and winning the battle.    ::)

First, I plant in Kitty Litter so any mess does not promote algae growth and is easy to vacuum up.

Second, since my entire pond is 3' deep, my homemade PVC pipe stands regulate the height of my plants .  My bog plants are only about 1/2" below the water and the Koi do not try to go up there much.  My lilies are about 12" deep and I employ a number of tactics to win the war against the Koi corp,  :harhar: who range in size from about 4-18".

I top my hardy lilie pots with good big flat river rock, about 8" size.  I pile on several layers.  Since I repot my hardies every year, the tenacious Koi are able to suck out some of the litter from any little holes in the coverage early in the season before the roots anchor it.  Later in the season everything pretty much stays put and they aren't very happy about it.  I use these rocks on the hardies & my 2 night bloomers because of the way they like to grow in all directions and I don't want to discourage this growth.  My watergardeners group relies on these off-shoots for our big fundraising May plant sale.  ;D

Last summer I tried an experiment to protect my tropicals & it was very successful  :clap:.  I got the thinest flagstone I could find; pieces that were pretty cheap.  I made a template of the top shape/size of my pots.  I cut this circle into quarters and then used a grinder with a diamond bit to cut the 4 quarters out of the flagstone.  Then I cut off the "point " off each quarter.  When laid over the kitty litter & around the lily tuber they covered it perfectly while leaving the hole in the middle for the tuber.  The Koi could not move these flagstone slices and the cracks where the pieces abutted  each other were close enough to keep the koi from sucking the litter through them.   @O@

Another benefit of my tropical flagstone covers was that it was really easy to lift the sections to put the fertilizer tabs in.... much easier than moving all the rocks from the hardies.  :D

This years experiment I think will be another success.  I use oil-pan shaped pails from the dollar store for my lilies.  They are somewhat shallow but big around; a good shape for lilies.  I do fertilize a lot and it is a pain to dig down in the kitty litter to get the 2 tabs i use every 3 weeks into the bottom of each lily pot.  Last fall I repotted my tropicals for overwintering in a kiddie pool with aquarium heaters.  Before I moved each lily into its new pot, I lined the pot with a piece of shade cloth cut to fit and to just stick up an inch over the side rim of the pot.  Now, instead of digging down into the kitty litter to place the fertilizer tab, I can just lift the edge of the shade cloth liner and put the tab between it and the pot.   ;D  I can see that the roots will grow throw the shade cloth but that is fine.  Shade cloth is tough and I expect it will last several years at least.  I just want an easy way to access the bottom of the plant where I want the fertilizer tab.  I think I will do that will all my plants that I fertilize a lot and plant in those wide shallow pots, like my cannas.

Hope that answers your question, Julles, and I would love to hear what others do to solve Koi & fertilizing problems.

Casey

Offline miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi messing in plants
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Next time you replant take a 1 inch diamiter pvc pipe slot up half way to top and burry in pot . drop tabs in pipes and cap . if you sand the inside of the cap it will come off easy next time you need to fertilize. If you have a large pot use more pipes. David

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
David,

We thought about that but don't the roots grow up into the pipe to get the fertilizer and clog it?   We heard some other people comment about problems they had with that happening.

Casey

Offline miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »
It will not work for years .I repot my plants every year . If the roots get in the tube just twist it and pull it out clean and reinstall .

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
Okay, we may try it on a couple and compare it to our shade cloth idea.  Thanks.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:46:03 AM »
 miller, great idea with the PVC pipe, I'm repotting this year and think I will have to try that....usually I have a stick with me and make a hole and put the tabs in and recover.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:47 PM »
Miller, I wanted to Thank You too for the idea of using pvc pipe to insert fertilizer :)
Marla, do you have any pictures of your pond? Mine still has lots of ice on top. :( Just can't wait for spring to see pond plants growing @O@

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
Miller, I wanted to Thank You too for the idea of using pvc pipe to insert fertilizer :)
Marla, do you have any pictures of your pond? Mine still has lots of ice on top. :( Just can't wait for spring to see pond plants growing @O@

tootsie, mine is still iced also and as of today it now has 7" of fresh snow and more falling!  I do have pictures of my pond here, thanks for the intrest....I posted some this summer they are not the best because we were having such a drought but they are here   http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=7163.0 
and here is another one, where there is a bit more green, shortly after finishing the Lily Pond.....this year DH wants to add a Lotus Pond, not sure yet where it will go or if we will actually get to it.
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3301.msg34761#msg34761

And do you have yours posted on this forum??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:14:08 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"