Author Topic: why do people who have no clue argue their point???  (Read 3529 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
why do people who have no clue argue their point???
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »
I recently saw a post on YouTube regarding a Cockatoo.  Someone asked about the bird and some kid pipes in with the following:
"Cockatoos are from South America, retard"

Obviously a punk kid without a clue, and I could have deservedly blasted him, but I simply chose to inform him that he needs to do his research before he calls someone else "retarded".

Then he fires back at me, "oh, sooooorrry.  Indonesia, wrong damn bird.  close enough, just let it go".

Apparently he has a chip on his shoulder, but I refrained from telling him off and informed him that most cockatoos are from Australia while others species are from Indonesia, New Guinnea and other South Pacific Islands, and that there are no cockatoos that are from South America.

Then he fires back at me again, "no they aren't from Australia" and begins to insult me, asking if I even know anything about them, etc., because he's had one for 8 years (he's 17)

What is it with all the angry kids calling people names on the internet, and arguing facts that they obviously know nothing about?

Kids like this one bring to mind the saying: "Children should be seen and not heard!" {nono}
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: why do people who have no clue argue their point???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »
The internet is the great equalizer and the great anonymizer at the same time.

Anyone can have a voice... even those who should not often open their mouths.

Since you are for most intents anonymous, people have no qualms of blurting (typing) the first thing that pops into their heads.
If he was standing in front of you my bet is that he would be more restrained.
If hs was not more restrained then he is just an @55H0L3... if you get the geek speak.
LOL
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
I realize that internet breeds the cyber tough guy at times, but still...not just on the internet....why do people argue a point they know nothing about?  I see it all the time.

The only thing is, with the internet you have the world of knowledge at your disposal to find out the facts before you make yourself look foolish...so why argue if you haven't bothered to look it up!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »
You ought to try hanging out on the ASPCA forums for awhile. Its full of know it all lippy kids. its incredible how they will spout off about what they think they know. Even more incredible how they will openly threaten others. ::)
Then there are some of the adults that are just as bad. ;)
Thank goodness they finally started moderating their forums so its somewhat better now.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »
Maybe the bird told him wrong? @O@

I agree Michael. It's true on fishing sites too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:23:17 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
Maybe the bird told him wrong? @O@

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »
It's true on ponding sites too.  ::)  ;)

There are idiots who will argue ANYTHING that 'certain people' say...
even though these 'certain people' may happen to be a world famous water lily developer and grower.  8)
These idiots will immediately jump in and create an argument, as a wannabe expert,
even while making themselves look like crazed idiots because what they say is so irrational. :tease:
It's a shame when the green monster of envy can do to a person.  :o

You've gotta realize, no matter what forum you are on, most of us recognize these types as crazed (and often immature, mentally deficient) idiots.
Many of these crazed idiots get themselves banned with their crazed, irrational and often malicious behavior.  @O@ 
And most get ignored...cuz they're just not worth anyone's time.  :no:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
The sad part is that the one who doesn't have a clue, doesn't know that. They think they know. Or something within their makeup has to have a say. If they "don't have a clue" then there is no way the person who does, can get across to them. Clueless isn't there to listen or learn. They only want to press their own opinion or ideas.

Now this is going to sound mean of me to say but I have seen this in my X husband. He wasn't interested in my opinion or even letting me have one. He could only be satisfied when I had changed my opinion to agree with his.  If we know the other guy is wrong, and once we have stated our opinion or the facts, why don't we let it drop and let the other guy go on his happy way, WRONG? Usually it is pretty obvious after a few sentences which way the wind is blowing. Why waste our time and energy on them? (SHHHH said in a whisper) Or are we just as determined to change Clueless's mind as he is to change ours?

Also BT, that guy calling you names is his way of putting you down when he doesn't have facts or know what he's talking about. It is a weak way of trying to be superior. That particular word was NEVER used in this household to put somebody down, at least not in front of me. Nothing curls granny's hair any quicker than hear someone call someone else stupid or retarded. I had a baby born 33 years ago with Spina Bifida. She died at 6 months from Meningitis. They did an autopsey and it was determined she was very retarded. I guess that is why I am so sensitive to that. For a normal person to call someone retarded is the lowest, weakest, form of meanness I can think of. After all, it's only by chance that we have the brain we have. It's nothing we have done to gain our capabilities. Sure we can learn to become more knowledgeable but the retarded person is handicapped and he didn't choose that or do anything to get that way. So being called retarded really shouldn't be a slap to our credibility. I know I'm babbling on but that kid touched a sore spot.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
why do people who have no clue argue their point???
The answer is of course in your question.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Arey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
As Robert Heinlein said many years ago "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig".

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »
It's disappointing, too, that people won't stop their tirade to at least listen to the other person's point.  You can watch the person, and you can see that he is not listening at all, but simply waiting for a break in the conversation, so he can start talking again and push his opinion again.

Oh, I'm as guilty as the next person of being opinionated.  But I hope that, if the other person has a valid point, that I take the time to listen and consider it.  I know that I have changed my own opinion a good number of times, after listening to someone else's arguement.

Capital punishment is one - used to be for it; now I'm dead against it.  (to use a rather poor choice of words  {:-P;;   )

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »
lol @ Mikey!! 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
LOL @ Arey.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
As Robert Heinlein said many years ago "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig".

LOL! So perfect a quote.

Arey, I notice you live on the Jersey coast. I love the Jersey coast!!! My mom lives there, and whenever we visit we love going out on the Barnegut bay. Hope I spelled that right.

Ummm I can taste the fresh crabs...  :)

The traffic is horrible in summer. There's a name for those summer folks who clog up the roads, can't remember it though.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:50 PM »
BLUE CRAB!!!!   I grew up in Maryland....and every year I went back to visit my grandmother and we'd get a couple dozen blue crabs.  One day she told me, "I like it when you come to visit...you're the only one who let's me have blue crab!"    I miss it so much, but found out a friend of mine knows a market owner that can get it when it's in season...so this fall I'm having a Blue Crab Party!!

I'm going to go and look at the pictures again....here's a couple of mine...

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »
My dad and I would take the dingy and pole through the creeks at night with a kerosene lamp...'fire-lighting' is what we called it.
and the bottom of the dingy would be filled with 'blue claws' in an hour or 2. Better than lobster!  @O@
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
I've only eaten fresh crab once.  It seemed like a lot of work for little return.  Perhaps I was doing it wrong.  I think if it comes in a shell I will stick to lobster.........or crab out of a can.... :D  :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Same thought here Mikey.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
if you haven't had Blue Crab, then it probably wasn't worth it.  But with Blue Crab...it's just not the same if you don't get to dump the crabs on the table and break 'em apart with your hands and devour them.  It is an east coast thing....and people who love Blue Crab will get mad if you don't let them crack and clean 'em themselves!   

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
I've never had Blue Crabs but I have had our native Dungeness Crabs many times and LOVE them. I prefer crab over lobster. King Crabs are great too but Snow Crabs are a lot more work.

Mikey, go to Joe's Crab Shack and order the Dungeness Crab BBQ'd, it is fabulous.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Arey

• Members
  • With us since: 10/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
I went to a crab house in Maryland once. It was the traditional brown paper covered tables on the place and they dumped baskets of cooked crabs on the table.  All around were bits and pieces of crab flying through the air as a horde of hungry crab eaters pounded away with their little wooden hammers making an awful din.   I had crab cakes myself, but the person I was with took part in the crustacean carnage.

Now a lobster is very different.  A nice 1 1/2 to 2 lb lobster will reward your effort at dismantling it.  This winter live lobster was down to $8.99 a lb around here.   So one day I cooked two that were a bit over 2 lbs each and didn't even feel I was being extravagant.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:02:16 PM by Arey »

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 02:27:13 PM »
Arey - that's the Blue Crab experience!  Nothing like it anywhere else.  Cover the table, dump the crabs, and drink a beer with your crabs!  They boil them with Old Bay Seasoning....it's good stuff!  I use it a lot out here on seafood and steaks.

I have a friend who loves seafood and never had Blue Crab, but loves Dungeoness.  He said his friend can get Blue Crab and I told him he'd like it better, but he thought they would taste the same, if not worse.  He got some and after we devoured both types of crab and all the other food...he told me, "you know...I do like Blue Crab better than Dungeoness!!".

He's hooked!

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
My cousin in Silver Spring MD took us to a place in Chesapeake bay.  It was as you described.
I have seen the place in a few movies too O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »
Yeppir, Jerry, that's where I lived - Silver Spring.  You can see them eating crabs like that (I think) in Jerry MaGuire and maybe A Few Good Men.  Pretty much any movie that takes place around the DC area will have that since it's a regular scene there.

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 06:49:17 PM »
Had A girlfriend in South Florida that loved blue crabs. Her and her Grandmother would eat buckets of them. I never tried them. I had just moved to Florida and wasn't turned onto the sefood scene. I have since found out crab is my favorite I have had all kinds and love them more than Lobster. My wife and I went to a nice seafood buffet in South Florida that served Akaskan King shaved in half. Sounds crazy but the eating was faster and more.  Good value.. and ease. We talk of that place often.

I will get the Blue next time we are up in the northeast. I will look for paper on the tables before we sit down.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
Had A girlfriend in South Florida that loved blue crabs. Her and her Grandmother would eat buckets of them. I never tried them. I had just moved to Florida and wasn't turned onto the sefood scene. I have since found out crab is my favorite I have had all kinds and love them more than Lobster. My wife and I went to a nice seafood buffet in South Florida that served Akaskan King shaved in half. Sounds crazy but the eating was faster and more.  Good value.. and ease. We talk of that place often.

I will get the Blue next time we are up in the northeast. I will look for paper on the tables before we sit down.

You won't regret it!  We had a place in San Diego that I found and when I went there the first time I stopped at the door and asked about the owner and where the owner was from.  He happened to be at the door at the time, and could tell that I had been disappointed with the local offering of BC.  He told me he was from Md, and told me that I wouldn't be disappointed.  He was right.

A couple years later I brought two friends who were also from Md and we sat for almost 4 hours eating BC and watching football.  The owner finally came over and reminded us that there was a 2 hour limit, so we offered to pay double, but he wouldn't have it.  He said he didn't often see true crab lovers in there and it reminded him of home!  I think I've eaten about 3-4 dozen in a sitting before...good size crabs, too.  But I was younger then.  Those were the days....

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
Now here's a crab that I think would be worth the effort....

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »
yikes!  that crab could lay YOU out on the table and chow down with a few beers!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
Blind'Too knows his blue crab alright and the proper way to eat'em.  Now I'm feeling the urge to get some blue crab!! 

Mikey, what the heck?!?!?

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:25 PM »
Annette - I'm planning on having a party here this summer just for people who will eat blue crab.  Since I now know of a place to get them live...we are making the plans!!  I'll keep you in mind when the time comes, will probably be late summer when the catch is good!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"