Author Topic: I see lily pads!  (Read 3656 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I see lily pads!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »
Wow! mostly what I see in mine is green hair longer than mine and all the leaves I didn't get out last fall! Today I did see marsh merigolds and lettus comming. and it looks like my bog beans are comming to life. It's a for sure sign lillies arent far behind!!!!!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
My first lily pad hit the surface yesterday @O@

Kat, it makes me tired just reading what all you have done. :)

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
Desertpnder,

My pond water gets down to 50 degrees and I have never been able to overwinter a tropical until this year when i put them in a kiddie pool with aquarium heaters.  I just got tired of replacing them every summer.  Everyone seems to think that I should be able to keep them in without losing them I know I can't.  I used to wonder if it was because my pond/pool is a convert and for some reason the water gets colder but now know that's not true because I don't know anyone here who can overwinter.

Casey

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
when I drained my pond on saterday I found this little tropical that I thought was gone. The fish must have knocked it out of the pot.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »
Casey that is really odd that your tropicals aren't making tubers for you.  If you've not already read the tropical propagation articles on Victoria Adventure, that might help point you in the right direction.

Good looking tuber you've got there.  I'll sometimes find nightbloomer tubers that have been knocked out of the pots.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »
lucky for you it survived the winter.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »
Kat,

Are you kidding?  I have read all the tutorials and have about 125 tropicals started in Dixie cups (thank you Sean) in one heated kiddie pool and my own bigger parent plants in another kiddie pool.  Most of my starts are from vivips but a few are from tubers like Red Flare, Texas Shell, Albert Greenberg and Laura Frase.  However, I'm sure this success is due to the heated kiddie pools since it is the first year I both had success and used the heated pools.

Still learning in leaps and bounds, Casey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"