Author Topic: Odd good news  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Odd good news
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:43 AM »
Dawn said that Braeden pooped last night. Seeing he hasn't since January 17 this means that the digestive system may finally be kicking in. She said she can hear gurgling sounds coming from his belly which indicates that something good is going on finally. That also is why he hasn't been hungry probably. She said he's been eating cocoa puffs. He has had a very odd appetite. But hasn't been eating the stuff he asked for.

I don't know what's happening because instead of going downhill in his health, he's getting better, not much but at least his heart, blood pressure, kidney and other levels are about normal. He still has a lot of pain which is being controlled by the meds though. This is so odd because a month or so ago, we only thought we'd have him for a couple of weeks. We can only hope and pray that he may be one of the few to "fail" Hospice.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Odd good news
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
Thank Goodness!  @O@  O0   :hug:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:07:02 AM »
My thoughts too Joyce!  And it also proves once again that NO doctor, however good he may be, can say when you are going to die.  Prayers to you Braedon, hopefully you will outlive us all  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:46:13 AM »
That is indeed good news.  May he continue to improve.
emm

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »
And some people say your kids shouldn't play video games.

I am so happy to hear of his progress. Being home, being happy, feeling alive means a bunch to everyone that is down. You and your family have so much to do with his progress. I hope he continues to improve and I will pray for him the same as I have been doing. Does you family have a Playstation 2 or 3? If so I will send you some games that we have here for your continued enjoyment. I have some dvd's also, (CHildrens videos I could send if you pm me)

Congratulations on Braeddens progress. We all love you bud. Your heart has to feel the love you are sent.  I hope we all can send more love/prayers to help you on your way to recovery.

Thank you Lord for your help. Thank you for seeing to Braedens recovery.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:39:55 AM »
 @O@  That little guy is sure a fighter!  He and your family have shown such faith, determination and courage.  Continued prayers for Braden and your family and wishes for more little miracles!
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »
YEEHAHAHH!!!!!

And tomorrow- he can poop again.  @O@

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
Prayers work.

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
What a gift for your family will have these happy times to remember.... and wouldn't it be great if you got a miracle and the happy times lasted for many years.  They do happen.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
Amen! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
That's wonderful.  @O@ You go Braedon !

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
LOL @ Nancy. I'm going to steal that one and use it on his Care Pages. I don't think that it is normal for a person on IV nutrients to poop like people who have a regular food intake. Not being a medical person hinders me a bit. Otherwise he would have exploded if he didn't go since the 17th of Jan. That's well over a month. We just don't know what to think so still are hanging on for the ride.

I'll check on the Play Station and let you know Reddad. Dawn says they have a "game cube" whatever that is, no Playstation. And they have the Wii now. Yes, children's DVDs would be welcome. He seems to like to watch them over and over. So that is good. I'll PM their address.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
That is Good news , Esther... @O@ @O@

bonnie

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Nothing like a good crap!

Bart

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
Oh how wonderful, thanks for the great progress report......my prayers for continued improvement
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »
That is good news, Esther! Believe it or not (I'm a nutrition junkie), I've been reading a lot of studies recently that show that a diet high in nutrients that are easily absorbed produces smaller, less frequent waste. To me, that means that Braeden's body is using all the nutrients up, so the waste is less. That can only mean that the nutrition the tubes are providing is good nutrition.

On the other hand, sugar feeds cancer, so "CoCoa Puffs" shouldn't be on the menu. I've been there though, and getting someone to eat anything often means feeding them sugar just to survive. The muscle cells are starving and the sugar is all going to feed the cancer cells. It's a vicious cycle. I've had to feed my loved ones as well who couldn't tolerate anything but sugar. As far as I can figure, the cancer tricks the body into craving sugar at the expense of real food so that the cancer can survive. All the rest of the normal body cells are starving for protein and fat, yet the cancer cells are just thriving in the presence of any amount of sugar.
Awful stuff.

I'm so glad Braden is not in any pain.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:36 AM »
It's kinda funny. Dawn is rather close to being a vegetarian, only because she just doesn't prefer meat. But she eats a lot of carbs, breads and pastas. But the problem with Braeden is that he doesn't want or eat anything. I saw him ask for a sloppy joe and didn't take more than a nibble. He ate a slice of dill pickle. Then he asked for pizza which we were eating and didn't eat any of it. So when he asks for something and actually eats it, she is happy. They typically are not sugar junkies but he gets what he wants. I don't think he is hungry as his nutritional needs are being met by the IV stuff.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 06:51:48 AM »
If Braden doesn't have an appetite to eat solid food do you think he would drink juice?  I mean the kind that you make with a juicer from combinations of fruits and vegetables, not the stuff you buy in the stores.  Apples and other fruits and carrots would provide the sweetness that he desires and vegetables thrown in wouldn't even be tasted.  He would get even more nutririon plus all of the anti oxidents that the fruits & vegetables provide.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
He does drink a lot and prefers ice water. They were on the WIC program so bought the juices that were allowed on that which was apple and grape juice but I'm not sure they are any better than cocoa puffs. What we are dealing with here though is his mom. As much as I love and respect Dawn, if the new idea isn't something she has discovered, she doesn't accept it very well. I would be willing to purchase a juicer for them if she would use it. Come to think of it, I could buy the juicer and the stuff to "juice". Kevin works about 3 miles from here so it would be easy to fix up some juice and the drop it off to him at work. Wonder if he minds fiber or maybe I'd have to strain it. I'll call her and see if she thinks he would accept it.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
Another idea would be to get him into the sugarfree ultra energy drinks.
They come in Chocolate...sugarfree...tastes YUMMY like chocolate milk.

You can find these just about anywhere, from prepared in cans, to canisters of the powder mix.  8)

Don't let him know what they are, just put them in a glass in front of him and tell him its chocolate milk.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
Great News! Glad to hear he is doing some better. Please keep us posted! :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
It is so nice to hear some good news, Esther!  Thanks so much for letting us know, I think about Braeden every single day.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »
Esther

The juicers remove all the pulp in a seperate container you can just empty later and just the juice comes out.  Look at the kind of juicers that you can put whole apples, carrots, etc. in, not the type you would typically use for orange juice.

I did a search and found a Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer  at Walgreens for $99.99.  I've seen his infomercial on sleepless nights (haha) and it sounds like it has good features for less money than some others but I don't have one so I can't recommend a brand.

It would be a big investment if the little stinker decided he didn't feel like juice.  :no:  Is there a restaurant (usually middleastern) or a Whole Foods near you that might have a juice bar?  You could just buy a glass to see if he likes it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
Well just what I expected. I just talked to Dawn about juice or the supplement drinks and she said not to bother with the juicer. So I gently said, "ok". :redface:  Well I tried.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
I'm sorry, Esther.  I know it's hard for you.  {{{hug}}}

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »
The trouble with those juicers is that carrots, peas, fruits... whatever you put in them produces nothing but sugar. Yes, a few antioxidants, and maybe a few vitamins (few). But it ends there. Sugar FEEDS cancer. Where is the protein and fat? There is nothing that compares to the essential protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients available and absorbable in meat. Kids need good quality protein and fat.. no matter if they have cancer or not. They don't need veggies and fruits. There is no essential need for sugar, potatoes, breads, pasta, ice cream, cookies, popsicles, cake, etc.
Vegetarians (sorry if you love animals) do not get enough good quality proteins and fats, and it has been proven many times over that vegetarian diets cause cancer (look at India, vegetarian and currently suffering from the worst epidemic of diabetes and cancer on the planet).
I understand the ethical and moral problems associated with being a vegetarian... but at the expense of human life? We evolved to eat meat, and are being told to eat bird food. That is wrong and it is causing cancer.

Here is a post by my favorite Doc about terminal cancer and the addiction to the carbs that cause it:

You think carbohydrates aren’t addictive?  You think it’s easy to give them up?  You don’t think it possible that people might prefer carbs to life?

Think again.

A story appeared in the online version of Time Magazine last year that I read when it came out, put aside to blog about later, then got sidetracked.  A reader sent me a link to it a few days ago, which brought it back to the front of my mind.

The article discusses a study being done in Germany using a carb-restricted diet to fight cancer.  In pre-WWII days, a German scientist, Otto Warburg, received a Nobel Prize for his work in sussing out the fact that cancer cells don’t generate energy the same way that normal cells do.  Cancer cells get their energy, not like normal cells, from the mitochondrial oxidation of fat, but from glycolysis, the breakdown of glucose withing the cytoplasm (the liquid part of the cell).  This different metabolism of cancer cells that sets them apart from normal cells is called the Warburg effect.  Warburg thought until his dying day that this difference is what causes cancer, and although it is true that people with elevated levels of insulin and glucose do develop more cancers, most scientists in the field don’t believe that the Warburg effect is the driving force behind the development of cancer.

But it stands to reason that it can be used to treat cancer that is already growing.  Since cancers can’t really get nourishment from anything but glucose, it stands to reason that cutting off this supply would, at the very least, slow down tumor growth, especially in aggressive, fast-growing cancers requiring a lot of glucose to fuel their rapid growth.

Thomas Seyfried (the same Thomas Seyfried mentioned in the article) has shown that ketogenic diets in animals and humans can stop malignant brain tumors.  There is no reason to believe they wouldn’t work in humans as well.

A group in Germany is looking at such diets in a small pilot study.  Patients are only admitted to the study when all standard therapies - chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, etc. - have failed and they have basically been sent home to die.  In fact, a few were so far gone that they died within the first week of starting the study. You couldn’t ask for a study group more destined for failure, but, according to the Times article

The good news is that for five patients who were able to endure three months of carb-free eating, the results were positive: the patients stayed alive, their physical condition stabilized or improved and their tumors slowed or stopped growing, or shrunk.

If you understand the Warburg effect and the metabolism of cancer cells, it’s easy to see why this therapy works, even in patients who at at death’s door.  Since the cancers can use only glucose, and since glucose is made in the cancer cells slowly and inefficiently, the cancer cells have to rely on outside glucose to provide nourishment for their rapid growth and replication.  People on very-low-carb diets produce ketones, which take the place of glucose in other cells that can use these ketones for fuel.  But cancer cells can’t use the ketones since ketones have to be burned in the mitochondria, which are dysfunctional in cancer cells.  If you can keep blood sugar low, then growth of the cancer cells may be held in check long enough for the body’s own previously overwhelmed immune system to rally and beat the vulnerable cancer back.

Now, given all this, if you had a big cancer eating you alive and you were offered a chance for salvation by doing nothing more than following a low-carb diet, would you take it?  I certainly would.  But, not everyone does. I was stunned to read the comments of Dr. Melanie Schmidt, one of the researchers, about people dropping out of the study.

[Some] dropped out because they found it hard to stick to the no-sweets diet: “We didn’t expect this to be such a big problem, but a considerable number of patients left the study because they were unable or unwilling to renounce soft drinks, chocolate and so on.”

Let me see if I’ve got this right.  A lifesaving therapy is offered to patients who have undergone the misery of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and surgery, and who are beyond hope, and this therapy requires nothing more than eating a lot of butter, meat, cream, cheese, etc. while avoiding most carbohydrates.  And a considerable number” drop out because they can’t give up carbs?

I say it again.  And you don’t think carbs are addictive?

As a coda to this post, I’ve got to tell you that MD at this very moment is rolling out a fondant that she made a couple of days ago.  She was dragooned into making the birthday cake for our granddaughter whose party is tomorrow.  The kid doesn’t want a store-bought birthday cake, she wants a custom-made cake by her Nanny, which has become a tradition.  She wants a Razor (a Swat Kat) cake, so MD is having to free-hand it.  Although she’s never made a fondant before, she figured that would be the easiest way to frost and decorate the cake she has in mind.  I wandered over to get a cup of coffee and pulled off a tiny piece of the stuff and popped in my mouth just to see what it tasted like.  Her fondant is made with powdered sugar, corn syrup, and lard (not the vegetable shortening called for in the recipe), and it is good beyond belief.  I’m sitting here writing this post, and after a tiny, tiny piece (maybe 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch) of fondant, I am obsessing over how easy it would be to walk the 10 feet to where it is and start throwing it down by the handfuls.  So, yes, carbs are addictive.  Especially the carb-fat combo.

Lest you get the wrong idea, our granddaughter’s parents keep her on a kid’s version of the low-carb diet most of the time.  The cake is a once a year deal.  Thank God.

Otto Warburg got that Nobel prize over 80 years ago. So we've known for over 80 years now that sugar feeds cancer. Why feed the cancer???

It makes me angry- because the US government is who wants to feed us sugar. Corn, wheat, soy, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup. If it weren't for this CRAP, it's entirely possible that Braden woudn't have this cancer in the first place.  >:( :( :'(
Karen

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »
Esther, thanks again for the update.  Good job Braeden!   O0  Keep it up!!  I'm glad to hear that the big guy is doing so amazingly well.   o(:-)

Kuan

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:27 AM »
I am so optimistic for Braeden.  @O@
An old fashioned glass of milk is a good way to get fats and protein into him.  :)

Karen, my own theory is that ADD/ADHD is caused by high sugar/starch diets too. Take the sugar and starches away from these type children for a few months...and no more problems.
We had a cadet in Bills NJROTC that was over medicated for ADD (or whatever) and was a walking Zombie. His parents were pill poppers, and just didn't care about diet, let their kids eat whatever they wanted and bought crap when they went food shopping. The house was one big junk food pantry. Also had been brainwashed by his parents that he was uselss due to ADD (or whatever). He was SEVERELY overweight. Another sibling is a bean pole, anorexic looking, also being medicated for hyperactivity....aka ADD ( or whatever) I convinced the child himself to eat meats, cheeses and green veggies only. He was old enough to take himself off drugs against his parents wishes...they didn't mind having a couch potato child who didn't make them look any different, cuz there's very little or no parenting responsibilities when your child is drugged. (he had been left back so many times he was 18 as a junior so he was an adult) Within 4 weeks...and lots of pep talks, late nights, like a drug addict going through DTs...he got through it...weaned himself off the sugar-starch diet. He lost 12 pounds in a month. By the end of the year, you could not recognize him. He was a lean and mean 160. Took up golfing. Walked 2 miles each way to our house just to visit. No more zits. No more BO. Was on the honor roll...all by himself. He graduated, went to college. And guess what? He is now a substitute teacher here at his hometown high school. Jamie has had him for a sub a few times this year already. Everyone is hoping he gets hired full time.  (8:-)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:21:40 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
Joyce, I agree with that. I have a nephew who is 17 now, and the effects of his years of ADD drugs is really showing- the kid is a mess. He's in the hospital now because they can't get the meds adjusted correctly anymore.
Another thing to ponder is whether wheat consumption (Leaky gut disorder, Celiac) is causing a lot of ADD cases.
I'll never forget when my brother was dying of cancer. The nurse said of course he could have ice cream, he was going to die anyway.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:12:03 AM by karen J »
Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I am very happy Braeden has good news.  There are many heart felt messages here that mirror all our sentiments towards this little guy.  I must say there are many generous Ponders here too.

Go, Braeden, go!   :clap:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"