Author Topic: How do you euthanise a fish?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How do you euthanise a fish?
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:04:01 AM »
I have been treating a 12" koi with a bad wound, but he's not getting better.  I think it's time to end his suffering.   

How would you suggest doing that?  I remember Esther talking about the deep freeze....

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How do you euthanise a fish?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »
The best way to euthanize a fish is with clove oil. I believe they may sell it in Health food stores.

I get a bag of water enough to cover the fish and a bit more,add the clove oil. Not sure of the amount. I've used like a teas. to less than a gal of water. (someone chime in if this isn't right,but it's what I use) I shake  it up reall good then add the fish. Then wait till there is no longer any movement (may take 2 or 3 min. ) and bury.

So sorry your fish is not improving. I have one I need to euthanize due to numerous tumors, but I keep putting it off.  :'( 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »
I filled a ziploc bag large enough to fit poor fishie in, with pond water and might have put oil of cloves in it. Then I put the fish in it and put the bag in the freezer. I read that their systems slow down like when winter is coming and then they gradually freeze without a struggle. I doubt they suffer as much as when someone catches a fish on a hook.

The cloves are supposed to anesthize them I guess. I don't remember where I got the oil of cloves or even if I used it. Bury fishie in the garden and it'll add nutrients to the soil just like the Indians taught the pilgrims.

LOL Nancy. I was 5 second later than you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:22:12 AM by Esther »

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
You dont wanna know what we do  ;)
Thanks,
Rich

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »
I've heard the clove oil is the way to do it too.  The only time I've had to euthanise several years ago I just put in a container of water in the freezer.  I told this to a very knowledgable fish shop owner and he said that was OK but probably not the kindest way.  I still feel bad for my poor goldie when I think about it.  I will get the phone number of this shop if you want to get specifics from him if you PM me.  I can't think of the name of the store off hand but it is more like an aquarium than what you would think of as a store.  He has got everything in that place and is very good about helping us amatures.  The store is in Clarkston, MI.  Darn!  That's going to bug me all day now.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:16:37 AM »
I couldn't stand it...I had to look it up.  I hate when I have those senior moments.  Here you go

http://www.mobydickpets.com/
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:34 AM »
I googled "Euthanize fish" and here's one link. It covers lots of ways. There's lots of info out there.  http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/81

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Well...some may think it's cruel, but I slam their heads flat with the flat side of a big hammer.
Then I feed 'em to the cats so they don't go to waste, or add them to the composter. (usually a cat or raccoon gets 'em anyway)
Quicker than putting them in a container while they're freaking out, adding clove oil while they're freaking out, and then putting them in the freezer while they're freaking out, and shutting the freezer door and locking them in a dark cold room to die, while they're freaking out.  :'(

If I'm going to play Goddess...I will kill quickly and mercifully. Not drag it out. :no:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »
To Joyce' method--Amen, Sista!   O0  Quick and sure is my motto, seems to me to be the most humane way. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
Thanks Joyce for mentioning that. I didn't dare say that because I thought everyone would think I"M INHUMANE. I did do the freezer thing once though. That was the fish that had gotten up into the bog and was still alive two days later but not moving. It had to die. I'm not sure what is so humane about taking an hour to kill a fish. LOL.

Offline Sarasota Koi

• Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »
Well...some may think it's cruel, but I slam their heads flat with the flat side of a big hammer.
Then I feed 'em to the cats so they don't go to waste, or add them to the composter. (usually a cat or raccoon gets 'em anyway)
Quicker than putting them in a container while they're freaking out, adding clove oil while they're freaking out, and then putting them in the freezer while they're freaking out, and shutting the freezer door and locking them in a dark cold room to die, while they're freaking out.  :'(

If I'm going to play Goddess...I will kill quickly and mercifully. Not drag it out. :no:
Same here :o

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
I use to see live fish killed in the same manner at Asian markets with a 2x4.  I think they've softened the show with a mallet now. 
Personally I couldn't do it this way humanely - soft hitter = slamming the poor thing too many times to put it out of its misery.  :o

Esther is right about fishing for dinner.  Not humane for fish at all.  :(

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
LEt me ask you this, when is the last time you had a steak or maybe a hamburger? What about fish for dinner? How do you think it felt? Koi wouldn't all live in the wild so it is a meanings of survival, on the strongest live. IF it gets sick, it may be time to go...
Just me 2 cents
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »
Agreed. That is why I think they should be put out of their misery the quickest way possible, whether it be because it is sick or for whatever reason.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
I don't think I could bash a fish on the head...or any animal for that matter...sorry but it gives me the creeps just thinking about it . :)

I'd have to take the easy way out & do it Esther's way .

bonnie

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
As it turned out, Nature took care of it for me.  I had decided to do the bash-on-the-head thing, and then wrap him in plastic and put him in the deep freeze, just for good measure.  But when I went to do it this afternoon, he was already gone. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
You got lucky.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
Bashing or a machete is quick, but hard for me, I guess bashing makes me feel more like a killer then clove oil.....a mental problem on my part.  But I agree quick is best.  Julles glad you didn't have to make the decision, sorry the fish didn't make it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"