Author Topic: So, it is almost Spring time  (Read 2952 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
So, it is almost Spring time
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:30 AM »
Hello my fellow ponders, I hope everyone has had a good winter.  ;)  Last year when we dug a bigger pond (1300 gallon), I dumped 10 gallons of my indoor fish tank water to help seed the filter with beneficial bacteria.  Not sure if it worked or not but I did have the longest (or seemed like it anyway) pea green soup in the pond untill I gave up and put in a UV light.  O0  I cleaned out the pond and filter as much as possible and netted it for the winter.  I did have 1 casualty a couple of weeks ago and a hole was in the net due to high wind and debris got blown into the yard.  Now the pond is a mess. I want to know in the Spring when the temperature is still around 60ish, what type of good bacteria do you use to jump start the pond and seed the filter with?  Not sure if I should still dump a couple of buckets of the fish tank water or use other form of bacteria or both??  I'm ready for the pea soup and the UV light is on stand by.  I'm itching to start because of the high temp yesterday (85F - broke the old record here in Wichita KS) and the fish were swimming around anxiously looking for food.  I did see the start of some algae in the pond (the kind that clumps and floats on top of the water, not sure if it is string algae).

I apologize if this has been asked before because when I did a search, there really wasn't much popped up.  May be I didn't do the search correctly.

Thanks a bunch.  I hope everyone is as anxious as I'm to get into another exciting ponding season!!   ::) o(:-) o(

Kuan

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So, it is almost Spring time
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
I am sold on Aqua One All Season Pond & Aquarium Clarifier.  I have a 5500 gallon pond and started adding this product religiously every other week last July.  I see a huge difference in the amount of mulm on the bottom of my pond and my water looks great.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
When the temps are consistently warm I throw in the Microbe-Lift PL.  There is a new one I have seen recently I want to try: "PL GEL"

http://www.webbsonline.com/catalog/ecological/

The M-L PL product has worked for my koi pond for the past, at least, 7 years.   :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »
I've tried many I do like the Microbe-lift.....http://www.joeskoi.com/microbeliftpl.htm is also offering it for the same price, free shipping.
Annette.....I checked out your link.....very nice site, I added it to my Favorites, thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:11:47 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
Casey, are you saying that that product some how breaks up the leaves and stuff that fall to the bottom of the pond, and then they go through the filter and disappear?

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
Tweety - your aquarium water is fairly clean.  What if you used water from the filter, or wrung out the filter medium in the pond?

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »
Julles,

I'm not sure if I'm saying that.   {:-P;; I never had a lot of leaves in my pond because there aren't any trees near it and the only leaves that blow in are little desert type on windy days.  The reason I say that Aqua One has been so good is that I have a very flat bottom pond (the swimming pool conversion) that is now 3' deep.  I have a Pondvac 3 and no rocks, so I just vacuum my pond easily.  As in most ponds, the sludge tends to collect in certain places more than in others.  I had a specific spot at the base of a drop-off in the pond where the water went from 15" to 3' that collected LOTS of sludge.  It seemed like it reappeared within days of vacuuming it.  {nono}

When visiting my daughter in CO, I saw a pond store and zoomed in like a bee to honey.  :woot: Pond stores are lots of fun, I think.  This was a really good one and they had many of their products in LARGE containers, which I need for a 5500 gallon pond.  I decided to buy some because their prices were good and I could save shipping since I was driving. 

They talked me into trying Aqua One when I came in to buy Microbe-lift, which I had been using for a couple of years.  They said their customers were much happier with it than Microbe-lift and since it was obviously a big store with knowledgeable staff I decided to try it.  It is a bit more expensive than M. alone but it combines the efforts of a couple of Microbe-lift Bacteria and Microbe-lift Sludge Away products.  If you buy both those M. products, the Aqua One is cheaper.  It is also all-season.

In a matter of a month I saw a huge decrease in the amount of pond sludge I had to vacuum.  The spots that used to get pretty bad quickly because it tended to collect there were almost clear of it.   :clap:  Now it has gone all winter without a vacuum job and there is some sludge, but not much.  Last year in the spring there was lots of sludge.  Since I'm in AZ, our pond doesn't shut down completely in the winter so our fish eat & poop year round  o( and our plants grow and shed year round. 

One of the things that really struck me, and our local pond builder, is that Aqua One gives you a use-by date right on the bottle, like on a milk bottle.  Most of the bacteria manufacturers say their products have a shelf life of a certain amount of time but don't tell you when your batch was made.  The people in the pond store said that the reason for the use-by date is that the bacteria are packaged in a liquid that contains food for them and when the food is consumed, they will die.  So, you need to use it before they would have consumed their food.  Our local pond guy uses Microbe-lift but is going to try Aqua One based on my experience.

Hope that helps to answer your question.  And, no, I do not have an interest in ANY pond products, no connection to the pond store (other than liking it), no fee for promoting it (well, they did send my a small bottle & a hat for our watergardeners group's raffle) and no renumeration for anything connected with this post.  I will, however, be happy to tell you the name of the store and their online link if you are interested. 

Casey

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »
Casey, thanks for the testemonial.......I did a little bit of searching and found that it is really about the same as the microbe-lift pl or even cheaper.  With the 2 ponds I think I will do a test and use both one in each pond and see the difference.
Her secret is patience.

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »
Marla,

That would be great.  I was so astounded by the difference in my pond that it was hard to believe.  :o  I wondered if I was imagining the reduction in sludge but my DH agrees with me.  I always thought that the bacterias were all pretty much the same so was inclined to doubt my own eyes.  The thing is, the sludge tends to collect on top of my lava rock in my bio filter and I know there is lots less there too.  I hope you will post your results for us so I will know if I am nuts  :D or if it really is great stuff. 

PS.  I paid just under $50.00 for the gallon (about 3 months worth in my 5500 gallon pond) with free shipping.

Casey

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
Hi fellow ponders, thanks for the suggestions.  DH ordered some Microbe-Lift but just the smaller sized one and based on Casey's testimony, I will give Aqua One a try as well.

I saw my fish again today.  The pond is such a mess with all the debris I'm really worried that the fish are suffering.  DH wants to turn on the waterfall and filter but the temperatures are still fluctuating.  May be I'll just use a small pump and filter the water on the shallow end of it first.

Thanks!!

Kuan
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:15:22 AM by tweetybaby2005 »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
Marla/Casey, where do you order Aqua One online?  I Googled it and Koimarket carries it but it is out of stock.  Google did not produce a lot of results so I'm wondering if you can provide an online source you use to order it.

Thanks,
Kuan

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:27:43 AM »
Kuan, I found some on, http://www.aquasuperstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=35867 and http://www.justliners.com/aquaoneclarifier.htm , but would also be interested in where Casey purchased hers, free shipping is always nice.  I ordered some Microbe-Lift pl the other day.  Casey what length of time does the Aqua One have for an experation as I still have ice on the ponds and will not be using it for a good almost 2 months.  I'm thinking of using it in the lily pond which is bare bottom so I can see results...only problem is we get so many tadpoles I'm hoping I will figure out if it's the tads eating the gunk or the Aqua One clearing it up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:30:10 AM by marla »
Her secret is patience.

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »
Kuan (and others)

I buy mine Aqua One at   http://www.alpinekoi.com/

Their free shipping says $50.00 but they do not nickle and dime you.  If you buy a gallon of Aqua One, it is close enough for free shipping.  I would call and order it as the online form will probably put in the shipping automatically.  If you have any problems, ask for Janet Brull.  She is the lady who first got me to try the product and she is great.  I just checked with her to make sure the free shipping would extend to others if it was real close to the $50.00 minimum.  She said, "of course."  I told her she might be hearing from some American Ponders so go ahead and tell her that you are part of the group.  You can invoke my name too if you want but it won't get you any lower price or anything because, as I mentioned, I have no real connection to the store other than as a satisfied customer.  I'm not sure what days she works except I know she works on Saturday, today.

Also, in regard to the expiration.  My last order I got came with an expiration of February 2010.  If you go past the expiration date, the bacteria is still okay to use but not as good since the bacteria are starting to die due to lack of food.  Janet will help you, as she did me, figure out what you need to use in your pond and how long a gallon (or whatever you order) will last so you don't get stuff that will expire before you have used it all.

Last summer when I bought some in August, it had a closer expiration because it was the end of the season so I got just enough to last until it expired and then ordered more very recently that had a later date. 

Casey

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
Casey and Marla, thank you for the links to purchase Aqua One.  Since it is in Colorado, the shipping should be quite fast to Wichita KS.  I've more than $50 worth of items to purchase so I should get the free shipping without problem.

Thanks,
Kuan

Offline jamis

• Members
  • With us since: 07/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Aqua One VS Microbe-Lift PL
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
The aqua one is pretty diffrent from the microbe lift PL while they are both good products i prefer the aqua one. Aqua one has 22 different strains of bacteria in it, including some cold water strains, some that out compete aeromonas pseudomonas for food, some that do the same with algae and so on and so forth. Also I like the aqua one more because its clear so it dose not murk up the pond, and it also dose not smell like the microbe lift products. Oh, also i have talked with the manufacture's rep of aqua one an he said there are Nitrifying and Denitrifying bacteria. So when its oxidising ammonias into nitrites to nitrates it goes back and forth from nitrates back to nitrites and so fourth till they are absorbed by the plants.

aqua one is some very cool stuff.  @O@

--jamis
--jamis

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
Jamis, Welcome and thanks for the input.....I do plan on ordering some and trying it.
Her secret is patience.

Offline jamis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
Jamis, Welcome and thanks for the input.....I do plan on ordering some and trying it.

thanks for the welcome and hope you enjoy! :)
--jamis

Offline Aquarius

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:49 PM »
Hi, new here. I was looking through and i noticed this thread, i am actually looking for a bacteria to try. i tried to order on line at alpinekoi.com but it did not work. So i called them (caught them right before they closed). they took my order over the phone. So soon i will have that and start using it :). Oh, They said that the website was temporarily not working, but would be fixed soon. Thanks all for so much info.

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Aquarius, Welcome.....guess you joined at the right time, question answered, problem solved, first post all at once....What a great sight we have here @O@  You must be somewhere warm if you will be able to start using it.....where are you located it does not say on your profile.
Her secret is patience.

Offline Aquarius

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
Aquarius, Welcome.....guess you joined at the right time, question answered, problem solved, first post all at once....What a great sight we have here @O@  You must be somewhere warm if you will be able to start using it.....where are you located it does not say on your profile.

stuart florida.

Also jamis said that it has some cold water strains... i did some research and thats true. so we will see.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 05:55:03 AM »
I'm glad you joined us Aquarius.  @O@  I tried Alphinekoi.com on Saturday too but it kept telling me that the shipping cost could not be calculated.  Glad you got a hold of them because by the time I called, I got their vm instead.   :o

Which of the bacteria did you get from them?  I'm definitely going to try the Aqua One but just wondering what you got for your pond.  It certainly doesn't hurt to see what other ponders are using.   O0 o(

Kuan

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »
Everyone,

RE. Alpine Koi in Ft Collins, CO, and Aqua One

Don't forget to call & talk to Janet Brull if you have trouble getting the free shipping because your order is just a little under $50.00.  Their phone is 970-420-7277.  She will treat you right, not that everyone else there won't. 

I will repeat for those new to the thread.  I have no connection to Alpine Koi.  I am not paid in any way to refer you there.  I have done business with them and I like them, their knowledge, their products & their customer service.  And I have had very good results with Aqua One. 

Casey

Offline Aquarius

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
I'm glad you joined us Aquarius.  @O@  I tried Alphinekoi.com on Saturday too but it kept telling me that the shipping cost could not be calculated.  Glad you got a hold of them because by the time I called, I got their vm instead.   :o

Which of the bacteria did you get from them?  I'm definitely going to try the Aqua One but just wondering what you got for your pond.  It certainly doesn't hurt to see what other ponders are using.   O0 o(

Kuan

I actually ordered both microbe lift and aqua one. im going to try both this summer to see what one i like more/ what one works best for me.

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
I just wanted to thank Casey for the info on Aqua One; it's amazing. We came back from from our winter in Texas to one brown pond. You could only see down maybe six inches. We cleaned up the streams and turned on the pumps and added Aqua One. It's been a week and the water is crystal clear all the way to the bottom.

The Alpine Koi people are very nice and the price is half what I can get it for locally.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 11:55:01 PM »
Crazyfishlady,

I am so glad Aqua One worked for you.  Just keep adding it every other week all year.  Ooops, maybe I shouldn't say that because I'm not sure what you should do if you live where your pond freezes as I am in Tucson.  I'm sure the instructions tell you or, if they don't, call Alpine koi and they will know.  I do add a maintenance dose every other week and I swear it seems I may never have to vacuum again.

Casey

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
Casey and my ponding friends,
Thought I would share this piece of info with you.  I got my AquaOne a couple of days after ordering it online.  Once I got it, I looked for the dosing info on the jug and realized that it is made in Wichita, KS.  I live in Wichita, KS.   ;D  Since my DH is in landscaping business, I had him call his suppliers to see if they carry it.  And sure enough they do and the price is much cheaper.  Hooray @O@.  I'm so glad I found this product.  It is working well even though we had a couple of days of freezing temp.   O0

Kuan

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »
Kuan,

Glad Aqua One is working for you too.  So what is "way cheaper?"  And is that price available to the general public or just your landscaper husband who can, I assume, buy it wholesale?  Also, since I live in Tucson, would there be shipping that would bring the price up?

I don't know that even if all the answers to the above questions are good that I would switch from Alpine Koi.  I feel I owe them loyalty for helping me so much and giving me such good service and advice.  In this economy price is really important but on the other hand, when things get better I would hate to see all the stores like Alpine Koi that offer more than the very cheapest prices to their customers out of business.   Plus, I think their prices seem reasonable.

Thanks, Casey

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
Casey, the supplier only sells it wholesale to landscapers so they are not available to public.  My DH can get it for me around $30 per gallon.  Shipping the big jug will definitely push the price higher (1 gallon = 8 lbs).  I think AlpineKoi's price is reasonable too.  I would say if you are happy with them, stick with them.  If it is not because AquaOne is produced in the town I live in, I will definitely continue to purchase it online.  I also frequent a small mom & pop gardening shop in town even though their prices are a little higher than the big box stores but their customer service sure can't be beat.   O0

Kuan

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »
Kuan, how great for you, in this hobby any extra savings is great!!  I have yet to order mine, it's still pretty cold here even had a thin layer of ice on the ponds yesterday morning....I will probably get it ordered this week yet so I have it...don't have the filters up and running yet
Her secret is patience.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"