Author Topic: Stinking Flu  (Read 1856 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stinking Flu
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »
I missed work on Friday and I've been in bed all weekend.  I have to sleep in the guest room so I don't spread this to my wife and son.  Looks like I will have to miss work on Monday as well.  Not the best time to miss work.  Standardized testing is coming up and the kids need me.  It would be terrible if I were to contaminate my classroom.  I'll have to disinfect every thing on Tuesday.  Stinking flu.

I know the flu is a virus, but is there any home remedy to speed the process?  I feel better than I did Friday, but the congestion, chest pain, sinus pressure, etc are still there. 
Alfonso

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Stinking Flu
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Hang in there, it will pass.  of course Flu shots help.  Not everyone believes in them, but we have done will getting them
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »
There is something nasty going around.  A friend of mine was so sick just as you described for almost two weeks.  She finally went to the doctor and had to be put on antibiotics.  The doctor also sent her for x-rays.  They thought she might have cracked a rib from coughing for so long.  Turned out she only tore something.  I'd get to the doctor to be on the safe side.  Feel better soon.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:20 AM »
Yeah, go see a doctor.  (8:-)

Cuz officially you don't have the flu until you've been diagnosed by a MD. 8)

And antibiotics DO NOT work on viruses...so taking antibiotics when you have a viral infection is just messing up your immune system, creating antibiotic-resistant bugs.

Best thing to do when you have a viral infection is to take supplemental Acidophyllus which boosts your immune system by keeping your digestive tract functioning properly.
And a little extra vitamin C if you don't already take it.
Remember, too much Vitamin C can make you horribly ill: Diarrhea, vomiting, irritated mucous membranes, dehydration.  :o

I thought I had the flu too a couple weeks ago, lasted 2 weeks, was passing out dizzy with a raging fever and horrible stuffed and sore sinuses, sinus headache, sore throat, cough, body aches...
And guess what...my doctor cultured my throat and guess what I had? NOT THE FLU but a plain old Rhino Virus...a Common Cold...just a really bad case.
Haven't been sick since before Cancer, almost 3 years ago. So this Rhino Virus made up for lost time.  ::)

Jamie also caught it and lost a week of school. What can I say...I always share.  ;)  :hug:  lol
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
  So sorry, Landey.  the flu is MISERABLE.  I used to think, "What are all these people whining about, the pansies?"  Then I got the flu myself, and I realized, it really IS a major illness.  Besides the head and chest congestion, every part of your body aches, no energy, no interest in anything.  And it lasts two weeks.  I had it, got over it, then had a relapse, so was sick for about a month.

Anyway, I have no tips for getting over it faster or more easily.  Just hydrate, don't push yourself, and don't try to be Superman by going to work, because it's not super to get other people sick.  especially kids with young imune systems.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I was taking antibiotics and I read somewhere not to.  You're right Joyce.  The body builds a resistance to antibiotics.  That's why I dislike it when the doctor recommends it for my 2 yr old.  I'm the type person that needs to stay occupied.  This thing has knocked me to my butt.  No Superman for me.  Hopefully, I can return to work tomorrow. 

Today is the first day in my master's program.  Back to school.  Good times.  :P
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
the stinking flu, huh?  that would suck for everyone who's nose isn't clogged up! 

Had it a couple weeks ago...man is it going around!!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:38:32 PM »
We got the flu shot but we still got the virus that was going around here.
 It lasted for 3 stinking weeks . Then it went into our sinus too .
Think our little granddaughter gave it to us because she got it too .

Hope you get to feeling better !

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
landey1230, I hope you are feeling better soon.

We heard (at the local sandwich shop, always the best for local info  ;)) that there were "two" types of flu around here. One is a really low grade fever and symptoms for weeks, the other is a high grade fever with symptoms only about a week. Either one, according to the sandwich shop owner, is awful.

Isn't there some kind of flu sinus spray that is supposed to help a little bit? Not the Zicam stuff, this is something available only by prescription and only for the flu. Don't know much about it.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
Yeah, go see a doctor.  (8:-)

Cuz officially you don't have the flu until you've been diagnosed by a MD. 8)

So true!  You can feel really sick with just a virus, not the official flu.

I'm sorry for all those sick here with the real flu or other virus, sick is sick, no matter what you've got, I hope you're all better soon.  We've had some nasty viruses ourselves, but I doubt it's the true flu.  Lots of fevers/headaches/chills/coughs etc.  We're now coming down with a second bout of it, of course it's a different virus, but we're sick all the same.  My 17 year old dd missed a week of school she was so sick, and I finally had to take her to the Dr. after 4-5 days of it. By then she had a sinus infection, and 24 hours after taking antibiotics she was much better.  Antibiotics will only help with an infection.  And with the true flu you can get prescriptions (a friend of mine had the true flu a few weeks ago) but you need to get the meds within a few days of your earliest symptoms.  She was hallucinating, her fever was so high!  And my 19 year old son was begging me to take him to the Dr. for a "cure", (which of course I couldn't do, as there is no "cure") but he was better a day later.  We weren't sick much this winter until the past month, now suddenly we've been real sick.  Half the 31 kids in my son's preschool were out sick yesterday.  My youngest son and I are into the second day of this latest virus with a fever, I hope it's over quick.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:15:13 AM by barb »

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
It's beginning to fade.  My wife is feeling the symptoms.  I hope she doesn't get it. 
Alfonso

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:06:27 AM »
I've got a bad case of the punies myself. We were at our annual fire school in Collge Station and I was supposed to return home today. I was so down for the count Tuesday I just shuttled people on the golf cart, but the smoke and dust only made it worse. I left a day early and got home yesterday. I sweat so much at night I soak down the sheets so my wife put an extra blanket down just for that. It is miserable.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear you are feeling poorly!  My sister and brother-in-law have been laid low by a virus, not the flu, that gives you body aches, fever and a cough.  The doctors offices are full of people with this stuff.

Do what Joyce says--I also take the acidophilus supplement which I believe has helped me immensely.  I hate going to the dr. cuz it's either for a prescription for some kind of meds or surgery.  Doesn't seem to be any in-between. 

Rest yourself and take care! ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
Well I didn't sweat as much last night so maybe I'm turning the corner.  @O@ This is a good thing, I still have some touch up paint in the spare bedroom, paint the doors and then lay the floor. Fater that all i have left to do is paint the living room... and the hallway..and the dining room and I'll be done. There's a hole in the living room ceiling where Ike put a limb through it but I'll just install a light there, it needs one.

I hope that everyone else who has this crud gets well soon.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline bra8ndy8

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
Ewwwww I had the crud a couple of weeks ago.........there is a end to it! But it does stink!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"