Author Topic: state of the pond address  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
state of the pond address
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:33:07 PM »
The one outside spends most days frozen over now.

The indoor one is doing very well.  Looks like all my transplanting to the small pots has been okay.  Dauben, as usual, is blooming away and Electra, as usual, is sending up a bud.  Talk about coming back from death's doorstep.  The rest are making pads and look generally happy.

I'm going to try something new for the first half of the winter.  I've trimmed each plant down to about 7 pads, reduced the water temp to 70-75 degrees and will reduce the light to 14 hours from 16.  I want to see if I can just maintain slow growth so there is less pad removal over winter and hopefully less maintenance.  Come early spring I'll crank things up and get them all growing as much as possible before the move outdoors.

I like using the little pots.  I think I may just leave them in those pots even outside.  Less weight to move in and out and more compact.  We'll see.  If this fall transplanting works out I may just repot each fall before bringing indoors.

Bart

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: state of the pond address
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:52 AM »
Yikes, Bart- you're frozen over allready?!   :'(

Thanks for the reminder, though- I need to get in gear and build an indoor setup.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »
I can't wait to see how this turns out by next spring! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
  Newbie here, but I had some plants in the pond and the temps were dropping into the 40s. The plants were not doing well.
  My DH set up a Harbor Freight Green House for me this year, and I pulled the suffering plants from the pond and put them in the greenhouse. I cut off all the dying stuff from the umbrella palm and it is doing FANTASTIC!!!!!
  I just don't understand how to keep the water clean during the winter while te plants are out of the pond.
  I'm asking Santa for a UV filter.
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 07:19:52 PM »
You and me both Joyce.  I've never done a tropical transplant in the fall before and never kept them just barely growing.  I always try for good growth the entire time.

Nancy,  consider the winter pond as "storage" and don't worry too much about a little green water and algae.  Even I manage to ignore all but the worst of it through the winter months and I really hate the stuff!

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"