Author Topic: why do racoons mess around in our ponds?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
why do racoons mess around in our ponds?
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Okay, my best efforts of tagging my liles have been turned upside down all winter and even just yesterday by some animal (I am guessing racoon) that comes in the night.  Always goes to the same spot and tips all the pots over and rips out the tubers from their pots and leaves a big mess.  I don't think it is eating them as I don't find pieces of tuber laying around.  Once I found my thermometer carried halfway across the lawn and unceremoniously dumped minus the rubber plastic part that attaches to a fish tank.

Whatever it is it must have an opposable thumb (I think), how else can it carry things like thermometers and seashells across the lawn?  It always returns to the same spot even though all sides are accessible to whatever it is. 

If it is a racoon why do they do this? 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: why do racoons mess around in our ponds?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
I know this may sound really simple, but it's just what they do.  It's their nature:  to be drawn to water and investigate things that may be edible.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:48:14 AM »
Your pond is a cafeteria to a racoon. As Kittyzee said...it is what they do.
Check out the "Rainbird."
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
I agree, raccoons feed near water, I believe that they lack adequate salivary glands to moisten their food so they dip it in water. This gave way to the urban myth that they "wash" their food. They love crawfish and other marine life (food) and are very curious about anything shiny.

As a frog I am constantly on the lookout for racoons lest I also wind up as their supper. They are nocturnal and the only thing that might deter them would be a motion sensor light but probably only for a little while. It would probably be used to see more of your pond after they got used to it. A cagey coon has made your pond his dinner table and it's going to take some doing to get rid of him.

They are ingenious and can open latches with their nimble little fingers, smart as a whip also.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:43:58 AM by Bullfrog »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
My mother tells about visiting a zoo when she was newly married and I was very little. People were feeding the raccoons peanuts etc. Someone had an icecream on a stick and gave it to the raccoon. He promptly took it to the water where he proceded to wash it. Of course the icecream melted and there stood the puzzled creature wondering where his treat had gone.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »
So sorry, Thumbnail.  They really do make a mess, and it's danged hard to keep them away.  We've discussed 'coons many times on this site.  I rememer when one got into my pond (not the good koi pond, TG) and killed all five fish.  Didn't eat them - just bit off the heads and left scales and bodies scattered all over the area, plus a bunch of dumped pots.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
Yes, it was certainly a raccoon(s) that did this. No other animal rips plants out of their pots and creates such a huge mess.

They are looking for food. They think there might be a snail or a frog or crayfish hiding in those pots. I have had them take bites out of water hyacinths and waterlily rhizomes and then toss them several feet from the pond. I have also found the thermometer and decor items half way across the yard. Actually, the thermometer has been gone for years.

I have an electric fence surrounding my fish pond but they come and destroy my smaller ponds and water bowls and pots as well. I'm about to give up on container ponds.

I'm very sorry, been there and done that....It is very frustrating
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
You could set some traps around your area. Call someone and tell them what you are doing and ask them to get rid of your victims. (live traps) I would not mess around with a caged coon. Another thing is the motion sprinklers that Jerry mentioned. I have not used them but it seems they make them for herons and coons. One last thing, I hate a dog staying outside, but an outside dog would rid your yard of coons.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Hmmm....food for thought.  Thanks everyone!
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"