Author Topic: Pool skimmer in a pond?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pool skimmer in a pond?
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of that?  I posted a want ad on a local classified section.  I'm in need of a skimmer.  Someone emailed me offering a pool skimmer.  He said he used it in his pond.  I googled images of a pool skimmer and I'm not sure about this. 
Alfonso

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Re: Pool skimmer in a pond?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »
Kent Wallace from living water solutions uses them in many of his ponds. He is a very nice guy and was very helpful to me when I was building my pond. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.livingwatersolutions.com/

He also has quite a few pictures of his pond builds over on koiphen, if you scroll down to his name, you will see some of his builds listed:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35291

And a few pictures from two of his builds:

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:47 AM »
Yep I've also heard you can use them...infact one of the online koi shops sells them for that purpose....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »
Do you have a new build? Are you looking to add it to an existing hard wall pond? Otherwise if you're using a liner, the skimmer wier that comes with a pool probably could be jerryrigged by sandwiching the liner between the frame and back where the pot sits. I suspect it won't be an easy job. I'm picturing my skimmer on my inground I guess. Why wouldn't one that is for the above ground work? I don't know anything about them. Well that was a big help. LOL

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »
I have a pool-type skimmer in my pond also.  I think it works just fine.  My pond was built by a swimming pool company so I guess that makes sense.   ;)
Jim

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
Those pictures are great.  Esther, I would like to add it to my pond that I have already built.  I was thinking of not cutting the liner, but placing the skimmer on the shelf of the pond.  I've seen Esther's skimmer and it looks very functional.  I Don't have a bridge or anything like that to hide the thing.  I really don't feel like paying $300 for one either. 

Do you think a pool skimmer works sitting on a shelf?
Alfonso

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:44 AM »
I'm glad to hear this as I'm now back in the planning stage. There was a pond supply place near here but it closed. She had several tanks with huge koi and filters, skimmers and such. Maybe she still has some old inventory left over. We went to Home Depot yesterday and they had the liner, pumps, filters and hoses but no skimmers.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"