Author Topic: Water lily question  (Read 2859 times)

Offline txpondnut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water lily question
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:10:37 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am wanting to repot my hardy water lilies. This is the 3rd summer in this pot but it is a very large pot. They are in an aquatic gravel type soil now but I have a problem with algae bloom when I fertilize them. I planted them that way to keep from getting that stinky rancid soil that I have found when I bought some pond plants. Also I thought they could get their nutrients from the water plus help filter the water better planted in the gravel stuff. I have since learned that they need more fertilizer than that. How do I plant them in a clay mix and keep it from turning stinky? I think I read somewhere that using Osmocote with the gravel will not cause a algae bloom, is this right? Also, I would like to add some liquid iron to the water to help all the plants. Could someone tell me what type to get. I don't know if it matters but our water is pretty hard with ph around 9 and about 3000 gals with 7 comets, a dozen or so rosys, and a few frogs,

Thanks,

michelle

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water lily question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
Um, do we have a tutorial on that? Joyce is the expert on the way to plant and use Osmocote. I saw them on dividing hardies but not how to plant one using Joyce's soil mix and the Osmocote.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:50:17 AM by Esther »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
Another way of adding iron is putting old nails or other iron objects in the water. Lava rock will work as well since it is a type of iron rock.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
Does iron harm fish?
Alfonso

Offline txpondnut

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
Well I did some searching and found liquid ferti-lome chelated iron was recommended for pond plants. PondmaninF, I did not know that about lava rock and old nails, interesting. Thanks Esther, I hope Joyce or someone could give me their non-stinky soil mix with Osmocote.  This will be my first time repotting lilies so I want to get it right so I don't have green water again. landey1230, from what I've read the small amout of iron added to help plants grow will not harm fish.

Thanks,
michelle

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
I don't think you can really get away from stinky soil completely. Its going to smell to a point, sometimes worse than others. ;)
There are numerous differing opinions on planting lilies. I feel that you have to just experiment to find what works best for you, your pond environment and your lilies.

Personally, I use top soil, not potting soil but top soil. Not the rich black loamy stuff either. I buy a certain brand that Home Depot sells and its basically nothing but good brown dirt with a little bit of sand in it. I top the pots with gravel. I use tomato spikes for fertilizer. Last year when I repotted I tried the osmocote method and personally I feel that I was not having very many blooms so I started adding tomato spikes and that seemed to kick them into blooming so I'm sticking with the tomato spikes. Just my personal experiences and preference. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Here it is...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
When I repot in the spring, I use pots without holes, (or you can line pots with black garbage bags) and throw in about a half cup of Osmocote Pellets (Veggie Formula) per 18" pot on the bottom of the pot before I add the soil (I use compost...composted cow manure works best for me).
Osmocote is a micro-coated fertilizer, using the osmosis process in conjunction with the temperature, the nutrients inside the micro-coated pellet pass through the micro-coat, the warmer the temps, the faster it is released. This corresponds to the lilies (or lotus, or any pond plants) needs for nutrition. As it warms up from Spring to Summer, your plants grows faster, needs more nutrition...more food. Osmocote can NOT dissolve all at once like fertilizer tabs or spikes can, so it is virtually impossible to burn your plants with Osmocote (unless you don't follow directions and dump WAYYYY too much of it in the pot). There is a chart on each container of Osmocote that tells you how much to use per diameter pot.
Fool proof I say...but they are famous last words aren't they. ;)
Common sense comes into play here too.
Think about what water lilies grow in, in their natural habitat, at the bottom of a natural pond.

Do they grow in sand?
Do they grow in Kitty Litter?
Do they grow in Gravel?
Do they grow in topsoil?
Do they grow in coco fiber?
Do they grow in clay?

'NOPE' to all of the above.

Water lilies grow in the composting, rotting muck at the bottom of natural ponds. (It stinks.) This muck is a combo of dead plants, dead animals, dead insects, and all the other organic debris that naturally gets into a pond and settles out onto a layer of sediment on the bottom. TONS of micronutrients in this muck too, not to mention beneficial bacteria, and yes, anaerobic bacteria, which causes most of the stench. There are no 'holes' in the bottom of natural ponds. No need for holes in pots either. Lilies LOVE to grow in this rooting, stinky quagmire.
Another good aspect to pots without holes is that the nutrients and fertilizer has to seep upwards into the water lily roots (or any pond plant roots) and can not leach out through the bottom holes. This way your lily gets ALL the nutrition.
If you use pots with holes, the fertilizer (and soil nutrients) leach out and will cause algae blooms. :(
And lilies in nature have no 'holes' in the bottom of mud ponds. They don't mind stinky, anaerobic conditions.
Their roots don't get deep enough to go into the completely anaerobic environment.
This is why pots that are wider than deep are the best...because lily roots do not get too deep, but grow laterally through the richest, most nutrient laden layer of pond settlement.

So by planting your lilies in compost, it's the next best thing to what your lily really wants...natural pond muck!
And by adding Osmocote, you can have at least 4 months of gradually released supplemental nutrition for your lilies, and all pond plants.
And you wont get any fertilizer burn. :)
But you will get bigger lilies, more blooms than you've ever had, and have a lot less maintenance!
(not to mention Osmocote saves you money in the long run)
And each bag of Osmocote has a graph showing you the ratio of pot size to fertilizer dose.
The only way you can screw it up is if you can't read and/or follow directions.

And another copy/paste from another topic:
Here is another 'secret' I use: I stick a small walnut sized wad of plain steel wool on the bottom of my pot....keeps the lily (or any plant) from getting chloritic. (yellowing from lack of iron)
Also, I mix Mosquito Quick Kill granules (it's all natural, uses Bacillus thurengensis aka BT) into my Compost. It innoculates the soil with BT, killing the caterpillars that eat your lily leaves, and it will of course kill mosquitos. Completely fish safe, pet safe, human safe since it uses a bacteria that gets into the bugs digestive system, disrupts it and causes the caterpillars (and mosquito larvae) to starve to death.
When mixed into the soil, it seems to 'time release' and last all summer. :)

Pondly...Joyce  :D

PS: One word of warning, if you buy composted cow manure, it should look and smell like high quality compost...NOT COW POOP!  ::)
It should smell just like rich potting soil, similar to that greenhouse smell that all of us gardeners love so much.  o(:-)
It should not be moldy, stinky, or nasty in any way.  :P  If you do open a bag and it's nasty, funky, stinky.....use common sense and DON'T use it!  {nono}
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
Thanks for bring this topic around again, Michelle.  It's that time of year and I needed a kick to get moving.  Thanks Joyce for re-reminding me how it works.  I have my own rich compost that works great for my lil' lily pond.  O0

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:16 AM »
Annette, I've been making my own compost for years now too.  8)
So I know exactly what's in it.
And when I use Brillo pads in the sink, when they get worn out, I throw them in my counter top compost bin.
That adds the iron content. I also put eggshells in there too, for calcium.
 :)

My potting method is for people who want prolonged MULTIPLE blooms over a 4 months period, if not more than that.
And no getting into the pond to add more spikes, no chance of fertilizer burn, no work, basically no maintenance.
The first month, don't expect instantaneous results. (I repot everything the first 2 weeks of April so by the end of May, I have buds/blooms)
After a month...if you're patient....you'll see the difference...and then you'll have nonstop results till mid autumn without having to reapply every 3-4 weeks.

As with repotting ANY plant, very often it takes a month for the plant to grow enough roots, get established in it's new pot, to produce blooms.  :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »
And when I use Brillo pads in the sink, when they get worn out, I throw them in my counter top compost bin.

I love my compost bin outdoors and the kitchen compost collector too.  This is the first time I've heard of putting the Brillo pads in the the compost.  God knows I use enough and if I can make a new use for them, Hurray!!  One less piece of junk in the land-fills.  Thanks for that great piece of info.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
Ahh the old potting media topic...seems like we always have long discussions with this one.  Algae bloom is due to too much organic in the pond, remove the algae and this should balance out.  Note some algae is a good thing especially on the sides of the pond.  Now what do plants need other than npk.  There is pretty good evidence in the litereature that aquatic plants need a support  to allow the nutrients to be absorbed and zeolites do an excellent job.  If you want to spend a fortune you can buy them from a chemical manufacture or find them free in clay that is loaded with them.  there are also so metals that are also needed such as Fe, but this usually comes in the fertilizer that you are using.  Stone is clean, but heavy and does not support the neutrients and in my hands I see very few blooms.  Top soil works well except a couple of years ago I noticed they started putting wood chips in it.  Not a good idea for water plants...wood floats,  Kitty litter is better than rocks, but also releases the nutirients quickly.  the coconut fiber was the industry answer to lighter plants w/o going to bare root, enabling lower shipping costs and simplify the packing and growing process, but I agree with Joyce that this does not hold a lot of nutrients.

Regardless of planting media water lilies during the growth period are heavy feeders so fertilize every couple of weeks per instructions.

Good luck

Gary

Offline Dkoinut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
What would you say to a planting method that A/ uses no fertilizer.    B/ Uses cat litter with a cup of laterite mixed into it, and covered with a thin layer of 1 inch gravel.     C/ Will produce copious blooms from various Hardy water lilies, water Iris, Marsh Marigold, Pickeral rush, and others.    D/is planted in the screen sided planting baskets that are aproximately 11" X 11" and 7 inches deep and will never smell of hydrogen sulfide as all solid walled pots will. E/ These baskets will also act and a type of filter that will utilize ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as fertilizer for the plants.     F/  And it will improve water quality parameters with minimal maintenance.        Sound too good to be true? It is not and indeed will do all that I say.   

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »
Joyce, I see that we agree on the planting media but I still use the pots with the holes open to drain the water out to help lighten it up for lifting. Some pots would get quite heavy to lift with the soil and water in it and there are people that might have problems lifting it.

Steel wool and SOS pads might break down quicker than nails but they have the same effect. If you live in Alabama, crushed iron ore would work as well.

When I went digging this week, there was a stench every time that I broke the ground. That is the natural soil that aquatic plants grow in down here.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:22:45 PM »
I use the ground soil that is dug up locally, the darker brown the better I like it.  There is some clay content to it.  I switched from PondTabs fertilizer because they just got too expensive to the Osmocote 14-14-14.  No more adding fertilizer each month.  Plus if I want a boost, I've been using Colorburst fertilizer, too.  I think I actually get more growth & blooms with the Osmocote as compared to when I was using the PondTabs.  Haven't tried tomato spikes as they are on the more costly side.  I've even chopped up fruit tree spikes for fertilizer as they were just sitting in the garage unused.

For my hardy lilies I use dishpan sized containers with no holes unless it is a very stubborn lily.  I find using a mesh basket lined with weed block fabric can help get that lily growing better.  I'll also use regular small pots with holes to plant my for sale divisions.  All of my tropical lilies are planted in nursery 1 gallon size pots that have holes & I believe they do much better because of the holes.  I used to cover the holes with plastic but no longer due so.  If the holes are too big, I'll cover with a sheet of newspaper. 

Shanna--what is the Home Depot brand/label of dirt?  I may need to get some to try it out.

I'm trying the steel wool in my lotus pots this year to see if that will help with the pad yellowing that I'll get sometimes.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline txpondnut

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:53:28 AM »
Thank you all so much for all this GREAT information! I will do as you say Joyce, and get good composted cow manure. I guess Mother Nature knows best even if it does stink like, well.... you know. The steel wool on the bottom is a wonderful idea, no sharp edges. I wish I could use ground soil but it is pretty thin in this part of Texas. (Hill Country) I have to admit though, I might like to try planting a lily like Dkoinut described. I have never hear of laterite gravel but if a lily grows well and filters the water, what a plus. What a great group of people with such a wealth of knowledge. I enjoy this place so much.
Thanks again,
Michelle

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Shanna--what is the Home Depot brand/label of dirt?  I may need to get some to try it out.

Kat, its called EarthGro top soil. Its a white bag with red lettering. Its cheap too. :)
You might want to buy a bag and check it out. Some time ago another person bought the same stuff and said it was the black loamy type soil inside. It may depend on their source and/or where the soil is shipped to. What we get here is good brown dirt with a bit of sand in it.

For those of you that use the Osmocote......why do you suppose that it did not do well for me when I tried it year before last? I measured by the pot size. Didn't change much of anything else because I wanted to see how it would do. My lilies just sat there. As soon as I started giving them the tomato spikes they took off blooming. Its almost like it wasn't enough or the right combination for them. I know that many of you rave about it but I wasn't impressed. ;) :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »
Thanks Shanna--I'll have to try a bag & will let you know if it is the right kind of dirt.  I'm running out of close by construction sites where I can dig up dirt.

That is really strange how your lilies didn't do anything with the Osmocote.  Was there a change in temps right after you used the spikes?  Maybe your plants just wanted some extra attention  ;) :)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »
Adding the spikes could have coincided with the Osmocote kicking in.
Osmocote uses the osmosis process...so it's not an instant gratification fertilizer.
Takes a while, and is triggered by water temps. And lasts about 4 months.
 :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »
I use the HD brand of composted manure. The only problem that I've had with it is that it isn't covered from the rain at the store and I have to let it dry out a bit to mix it. I also use their top soil.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
After reading Joyce's posts, I wish for a mud bottom pond.  I have koi, so they tend to get into everything.  My first year of ponding, I could not grow lilies and I didn't understand why.  I was instructed to use topsoil, tomato spikes, and a plastic oil pan.  I used large river rock to protect the plants from the koi.  This method worked for me.  I have had many blooms as long as I fertilized every month.  This year, I'm trying the dirt I dug up from my new pond.  I'm not sure how it will work.  I potted my lotus according to Joyce's instructions, but I placed it in my pond.  Last year, they shribbled up due my lack of experience.   Hopefully, I'll get it right this time.  I should begin my own compost pile.  As everyone says, that's the best way to go.  Some day I'll make that happen. 
Alfonso

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
Joyce-"I mix Mosquito Quick Kill granules (it's all natural, uses Bacillus thurengensis aka BT) into my Compost. It innoculates the soil with BT, killing the caterpillars that eat your lily leaves, and it will of course kill mosquitos. Completely fish safe, pet safe, human safe since it uses a bacteria that gets into the bugs digestive system, disrupts it and causes the caterpillars (and mosquito larvae) to starve to death. "

Where do you buy your mosquito quick kill granules?  I have never heard of this before, but am very interested.  I have the BT liquid concentrate but find it very time consuming. These time release granules sound like a better way to go. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 07:20:14 AM »
I just get mosquito dunks.  The ones at Walmart are good, since they're packets that you can cut open to get the granules if you're mixing them in.  The whole ones I just toss into the pond.  O0

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
In use Gambusi ( mosquito fish) in all ponds and tubs. It takes care of any mosquitos hatching. I use yard dirt with some sand and top it off with gravel. I use pond tabs and any pot I can scrounge up. Free is best. LOL

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"