Author Topic: Last Call for the LOTUS...UPDATED TO TIPS FOR LOTUS and Progress Reports,,,,,  (Read 3124 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Alot that wanted them last year have not responded this year ....  The pond was full of them so I still have a few left.  Paypal payments only.  East of the mississippi shipping is 6.50 / west 8.00.

Tink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:42:42 AM by tinkster »

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: Last Call for the White lotus ... free tubers....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
Tink,

I sold thousands of water lilies and lotus for twenty years and probably only sold a few dozen white ones, which always confounded me, since the alba's  have always entranced me with their beauty when in bloom.  go figure...

John

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:40 AM »
Tink, I would be interested if it isn't too late. I have a paypal account so that isn't a problem.
I've never had one before, can you tell me what I need to do with the tuber when I get it? My pond temps right now are about 45*F and will be for the next month maybe.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
 @O@  @O@ It came!!  @O@  @O@ Thanks so much, Tink!!  It was very well packed, but one growing tip still managed to break.  Looks like USPS was playing football  ::)  {nono} Am I wrong in thinking that one won't grow now, even though it still has another tip?  Oh, and lest I be misunderstood (since this is email) I am very HAPPY with what I got, just wanting to know about that tuber.  Oh, and I'm thinking I'll have to get a white too...  o(:-)  Thanks again!!!

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »
kat... The tuber will be fine as long as theres one growing tip left.  Just be extra careful with that remaining tip.  I have tons of problems with boxes arriving in really horrible shape.  Did the other tuber have two or more of its tips left?  Do you want me to ship a white one also?  Confused on that ;0)

TIC... Here is a link to the tutorial on the forum for how to plant your lotus.  If you follow their advice, its been no fail for me. 
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=143.0
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=142.0
Do you know what you want to plant the lotus in ??  They need large containers.   When you get it from me you can float it in a bucket of water somewhere cool and dark.  My lotus are starting to come out of dormacy.

tink

Offline KatFish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
Oh, good!  I'll be sure to baby it all the more.  I guess somewhere along the line I heard the 'truth' that if you break off a tip the tuber drowns.  All of the others looked pristine to me, and suprisingly it wasn't the long one that broke.  I have all the supplies I need (from Joyce's recipe) - last year's batch didn't seem to over-winter too well so I have pots too  ::)  Oh, yes, please send a white one... I'll be sure to send the $6.50 right away.  Anyone else who's thinking of trading with this gal... O0

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »
have you dumped out your last years lotus pots? It might surprise you what is in the very bottom all curled around the edges ....Thats where they go round and round and round.  How did you winter yours over?

I have also heard that if you cut off the leaves when they are growing and you cut it below the water the tuber will drowned but I know a few that have cut theres back below water line and they come out of it.  When I devide my lotus I have many huge tubers with just one growing tip and those are the ones I keep and replant for myself and they always do fine.  I just dont ship them since if it did get broke there would not be a backup tip.

tink

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »
payment sent :)
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »
Do you know what you want to plant the lotus in ??  They need large containers.   When you get it from me you can float it in a bucket of water somewhere cool and dark.  My lotus are starting to come out of dormacy.

I have a couple of 5 gallon stall water buckets leftover from my horse days that I was hoping I could use. I have a Momo Botan (sp) on order that I will get late next month that should work good in one of those buckets but not sure if the bucket will be large enough for the white lotus. I've never had this type of plant before so I still have some homework to do. I'm just going to give it a whirl and see what happens. I'm excited about having them and it should be fun! Only two things can happen the way I figure it, they will either grow or they won't :)

Thanks for the links Tink and what do I need to do next to get you paid?

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »
Payment sent!  Thanks so much!  @O@

Offline Dkoinut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
Hi tink i have been talking to you by PM and didn't get how to do a paypal to you.  I wanted to try the white lotus. Oh, btw, I live on the west side edge of the Mississippi. too bad Davenport isn't in Illinois huh.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
tic and dkoinut pms sent with paypal address

Offline rdrboone

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
Tinster,
Just wanted to let you know that my lotus tubers arrived safe and sound in perfect condition today, Friday 20th.  @O@

Thanks so much,
Ruth
Ruth

Offline Dkoinut

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the paypal help. finally "got er done" I hope i can keep the lotus  start in a cool basement till it's warm enough to go outside. Should i just keep it in water and dark or should I go ahead and pot it up when it arriives? Thanks.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
The growing tips are reaching for the surface of my pond.  Go Lotus!!!
Alfonso

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 06:55:27 AM »
Hi Tink,
Just wanted to let you know all lotus doing GREAT :) They seem to be reaching up to the top of the plastic bin already!! I have them in tepid water and in darker area!! Just they just want to do their own thing and grow, hehehe I can't wait to get them planted. It's so cold outside and darn snow showersm ACKKKKKKKKKKKK

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:40:31 AM »
maybe we should make this the grow lotus grow thread. ;0) I often wonder about the tubers I send out and what they do .. so keep me posted especially as they start to grown arials.

I definately think landley needs a thread.. He tried so hard last year with lotus that hes just gotta get one this year!  GP LANDLEY GO.....

Tootsie... I know what ya mean, my first year someone gave them to me, they came from a warmer zone and the tips were leaving out.  I did not leave my floating in the buckets very long cause I couldnd keep the tips covered.  I would sink them down with a rock but I ended up going ahead and potting mine up in the cold.  Maybe your weather will break soon!

Dkoinut... I am not sure there is a wrong way.  MAybe some of the lotus experts will chime in but My theory has always been since they are very hardy, the quickest i can get them in their home and out in nature the better.  The only lotus I have ever lost were ones that were in a basement waiting to go outside.  I guess it was warm enuff to let them turn to mush but then they were also planted in dirt.  Not the same as floating in a bucket of water.   If your gonna leave them floating. be sure to change the water often.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:43:37 AM by tinkster »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Do all lotus need repotted every year? I had one live last year but it only grew about six leaves and never bloomed. I see no new growth on it yet. The good news is the DH sold the camper and the greenhouse is getting a lot more sun.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
I thought that all the tubers might already be spoken for.  If you have any left please send me a pm so I can give you paypal info to send an invoice to.  Is it only for shipping Tink?  I don't recall the original posting on the total cost. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Greenthumbs.... I have shipped alot of them but I had massive amounts since they are in ponds.  I believe I will have enough out of this bunch but I need to ship what I got paid for this weekend monday to be sure.  I am sending more than one tubers so everyone gets a full tub.  I do have one more pot of the white for a aunt that has not been devided in two years so I am sure its full.  I am pretty postive I will have enuff for you iT could be as early as monday after I ship if theres enuff left or latter part of the week whether permitting when I get down to her house to devide hers.

Leeanne.  For most part I have devided mine each year but theres been a couple I did not if they didnt get big and full by the end of the year or were small lotus compared to the size tubs/ponds I put them in.  I have heard some comment here when they were big and pretty the first year that they didnt do as good the 2nd year if they were crowded.  But not really sure. 

Tinkster
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:42:00 PM by tinkster »

Offline miller

• Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2009
    • View Profile
Hi tink I got mine planted today ! our weather has been in the  hi 70s and 80s for the past couple weeks so the water lilies are flowering all over the place .Strange spring it is nomaly after easter before these kind of temps.Thank you so mutch David

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Greenthumbs.. pm sent. I still have tubers left for anybody that still wants.

tink

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
 @O@ It came!  And wow, WHAT A TUBER!  I couldn't believe you got that in the box  :D  Oh, and as a note of interest... the piece that broke off the other tuber?  I left it floating, and it's green.  There is what I suspect is a tiny bit of tuber on the piece, so it just may be determined enough to grow  ;D  If I get a chance later I'll snap a pic so you can see.  Once again, OMG what a tuber..... I'm in lotus nirvana  8-)~  You're the best!

Offline Danny

• Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
Tink,

I received your lotus tubers today, Monday (3/23/09).  Thank you. :)

Danny

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
Thanks Tink ;)
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
Hey Tink...still have any?
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
hey cath!  I sure do.  Right now I am getting down to what I call smaller tubers, but they are still nice with at least 2 growing tips maybe more. If ya wants my paypal is cynthiajoy@windstream.net

tink

Offline Dkoinut

• Members
    • View Profile
Hi tink. I recieved your Lotus today, and all in great shape too.  Wow, you really sent much more than I expected. They should make a full pot this summer. I decided to go ahead and get them planted today instead of holding them in the basement. We're supposed to get 6 inches of snow tomorrow, but then warm up next week.Thanks again. I feel bad I didn't pay more. What a deal.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
Tink,
Just letting you know I received your lotus tubers today. Thank you so much for sharing.  :)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
@O@ It came!  And wow, WHAT A TUBER!  I couldn't believe you got that in the box  :D  Oh, and as a note of interest... the piece that broke off the other tuber?  I left it floating, and it's green.  There is what I suspect is a tiny bit of tuber on the piece, so it just may be determined enough to grow  ;D  If I get a chance later I'll snap a pic so you can see.  Once again, OMG what a tuber..... I'm in lotus nirvana  8-)~  You're the best!

Katfish- I was wondering whatever became of that lotus tip that broke but was still green...did it make it?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"