Author Topic: It's been a weird year...but I'm still plugging along  (Read 1624 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
It's been a weird year...but I'm still plugging along
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
I've been absent for ages. Very long story but here's a short version.....between extremely bad storms late last summer that did a huge number on our pond and yard and obliterated our veggie garden, then a tree that was damaged in that storm falling on our house a month later (while we were waiting on tree service lists for our turn for service) ,tons of our time going towards repairing storm damage inside and out, then a big rock falling in to the pond and shattering our liner which we didn't discover until a few days ago when the 4" thick ice finally thawed from the top of our pond (we just replaced the liner last summer), fortunately our fish lived...amazingly since there was only about 3" of water in the bottom of the pond. However.....I believe my pond plants are history because they were not under water so were exposed for who knows how long and look really dead......... :'( , plus both kids (both in their 20's) ended up with Influenza A so I was nurse for them for quite awhile and add to this what was supposed to be a 2 day trip to the hospital for me last week that turned in to 5 days. I certainly hope we are done with negative things and moving in the other direction now.
I rarely even logged on to the forum for months because everything was so chaotic. Anyway.....am glad to finally have a few minutes to do so and see many old and new names. This forum has always been a safe haven for me and I have missed having time to join it.

I will be hitting the plant exchange soon to replace my plants so watch out!!! :)
Cath
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:00:55 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a weird year...but I'm still plugging along
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Welcome back Cath!  I'm so sorry to hear of all that bad stuff happening...it will be spring soon right?  ;)

This place is/has always been a safe haven for a lot of us--a refuge against the world. 

Glad to have you back  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »
Cath, glad to see you back here.  Sorry about the flu and storm related accidents.  Sending positive vibes that things are going strong from here on out.

Welcome back!!

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »
Boy, one thing right after the other. I hope it'll go better now.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
welcome back and hpoe that things are going your way now!

tink

Offline bra8ndy8

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »
Welcome back! Hope everything gets rolling!

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to come across as 'poor me'. I received e-mails from a couple people wondering what was up so was just bringing everyone up to date on what was occupying me and letting you guys know how much I missed being away.
zone 5b

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
Hi Cath:) Glad to hear you and family are good! Sounds like you've survived one harsh blow after another!  Never fear, your friends are here  :hug: I hope I will have something nice growing in my pond that you just might be able to use?
Glad to hear from you @O@

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »
Hope this year goes much better for you. :)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
Cathy, Welcome back  @O@ 

2009 will be a better year!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
Cath,
Sorry to hear of all your problems. Did you get your liner patched? Some things are showing life in my pond, get in touch with me and I can share some things when this current cold snap passes.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the good wishes. The liner did get fixed. Since last weekend wasn't too bad out my husband climbed in the pond, cleaned it out while he was in it and patched the liner. Apparently the rock fell in after the liner had gotten somewhat frozen because it didn't just puncture a hole, it shattered a pretty good sized area. But all looks good now, it's holding water and I'm sure the fish are in fish heaven with the 2 1/2 feet of water to swim around in now rather than the 3" they had when we could finally see past the ice that was covering the pond surface.
crazyfishlady.....that would be great to get some local plants. Maybe we can figure out some barter so you end up with something too.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
Just pm me when you're ready :)
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Wow Cath youv'e had quite the time of it....you are so very lucky that the fish made it through with only having that much water, and yes I'm sure they are swimmingly happy with the new water situation.  Are you getting the snows now, I know wee are in line to get some this weekend.  Glad all is going smoothly for you at the moment and hope you get your plants re-stocked and the rest of the season goes well.  I always have lots of hardy papyrus, pickeral, watercelery and cattails to share so let me know.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »
Marla...we escaped the storms this time around. We've had plenty this year so it's good to get a break. It is cold though, but that beats snow.
Thanks for the offer of plants. I may take you up on some, especially cat tails, I think mine are quite dead.
zone 5b

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »
Well just let me know......getting snow here now so won't be playing in the ponds for a few days I guess.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"