Author Topic: Galvanized stock tank ponds get good algae on sides?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Galvanized stock tank ponds get good algae on sides?
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »
My poly stock tanks will get a little bit of good algae growing on the sides.  But I've had a small galvanized tank set up for a couple years now & I don't seem to get much algae on it.  My liner ponds will get that nice lush green algae on the sides that I really like.  The cinder blocks that I'll use to raise the lilies will get a decent coating of the algae faster.

My question is:  has anyone gotten the good algae to grow in a galvanized stock tank?

I've got a long narrow spot in my side yard that a 2x2x8 tank would fit perfect.  None of the local stores has a poly tank that size, so I'm going to be stuck with a galvanized tank.  Don't want to build a pond there because it is right along side the neighbors fence & there is a chance that the fence will be replaced in the future.  The pond would probably get in the way.  I can move a stock tank but not a landscape timber pond.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Yashin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Galvanized stock tank ponds get good algae on sides?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »
I would be hesitant to use a galvanized stock tank for anything. The galvinization will leech into the water and can harm aquatic life.  o(

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I have seen photos of several large GALVANIZED stock tanks used as fish & lily ponds, if not on this site, somewhere on the web.  I plan to use a 2'D x 3'W x 8'L Gal. stock tank for a Lotus Pond.    Although, the ones that I have seen photos of didn't appear to have been painted, I do plan to paint the inside with black epoxy pond paint.  I do know that algae will grow on this paint because I have converted both a fiberglass shower stall and a fiberglass spa into ponds and I painted them both with black epoxy pond paint.  These ponds develop a nice coat of algae.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »
Yep, I've seen other people use galvanized tanks successfully for ponds.  I prefer poly but with my limited space ...

Ruth, I remember seeing pics of your hot tub & shower converstions.  You did a fanastic job on them.  Where do I find the paint you are talking about?  Thanks.
Kat

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
I've used a 6' round stock tank for around six years but I've never noticed any good algae to speak of. There is algae on the plastic stock tank and the lined troughs that are in the series that are connected together.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Yashin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
hmmmm been ponding for a while now and heard nothing but bad things about galvinized steel. I guess I just wouldnt risk it. I have been wrong before though lol (More times then I would like to admit) :P

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »
Thanks Scott.

Yashin--it is all a learning experience & like I said, I'd rather have a poly tank.  But if all I'm going to do is grow lilies & bog plants in it it should be fine with a few goldies.
Kat

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »
I have two large galvanized tanks and lilies, floaters, and goldfish do just fine.  They are older tanks, but has anyone heard any first hand stories of things not doing well in galvanized tanks?  Or could this be another popular myth?
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
Kat,

I used a different paint on each pond:

On the first one, the shower stall pond, I used a product called "PondShield" from www.pondarmor.com in California.  It is an excellent product and goes on 10 mil thick.  I only had to do one coat, but I found it very difficult to work with.  It is very, very thick and only has a pot-life of about 1 hour.  I started painting the shower stall/pond but ended up having my husband finish painting this pond because I was having such a difficult time rolling it onto the surface.  For this pond, I needed to buy 2 - 1 1/2 quart kits @ $79.95 each + shipping. 

I found a different product for the spa/pond makeover.  I used a product called "Sweetwater Epoxy Paint" from Aquatic Eco Systems in Florida, www.aquaticeco.com.  In my opinion, it is much easier to use than the Pond Shield.  This product goes on at about 4 mil thick. I did two coats on this pond.  Sweet water epoxy has a pot life of about 6-7 hours, I think, and was extremely to apply.  I did it with no problems at all.   I bought 1 - 1 gallon kit @ $73.35/kit + HAZMAT shipping fee of about $35.00.  The spa pond had a much larger area to paint than the shower stall pond did, but even with applying two coats to the spa I believe that I still have enough left to paint the galvanized stock tank.

I have been pleased with the finishes on both ponds.

Ruth

Ruth

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
I plan on taking that 6' stock tank and coating it with Permaflex so I can get more years out of it. Permaflex was about $100.00/gallon the last time that I checked.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »
I have an 8' galvanized stock tank that I've kept fish in for about 4-5 years now.  It is coated with a spray-on polyurea lining though.  There is a nice coating of algae and the fish seem happy.
Jim

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »
My smaller gal tank has a pretty good coating of algae...it has been set up approx 4 years now.  The larger tank is only 3 years old and doesn't seem to have hardly any algae. 

Our galvanized tanks in the pastures don't seem to grow algae on the sides either...but plenty of muck has blown into the bottoms.  Lots of ranchers around here have goldies in their "livestock tanks" to help controll sketters, especially when they have horses.  I am a frequent contributor to this cause.

I only have feeder goldies...so wouldn't hazard to say if any harm will ever come to my fish or not.  The oldest are just six years old now and nearly a foot long counting their tails.

This picture is from last summer.  The unfiltered tanks are "leakers" lined with kiddie pools.  I will be adding at least one more of those this summer for my tropicals if any survive.

The poly tank grows string algae where the galvanized tanks haven't yet.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
I would be hesitant to use a galvanized stock tank for anything. The galvinization will leech into the water and can harm aquatic life.  fish

No so at all. I have always had galvanized stock tanks for water gardening since I started 9 or 10 years ago. They have been fine for
both plants and fish. Never had any problems with them other than once they get older the bottoms get leaky.
I will get a little bit of algae on the tank sidewalls but not as much as the poly tanks or other things I use. String algae will attach to the plants and any blocks or other things I have in them to set plants on.
This year I have two 8' galvanized tanks and I may set up the one smaller 4' tank too.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 05:23:56 AM »
Thanks for all of the info.
Kat

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
Last years tanks.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »
So I have 2 smaller one's one round one square tha are about 22" across and 12" deep and I was thinking of putting some bog plants or small lilies or maybe a lotus, do you think the water would get to hot in them?  I'm sure I'd have to watch watch them for evaporation just wondering on water temps?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
I have  had galvanized stock tanks for years. I have not seen the  algea on them I have in my other ponds. I have had fish and plants for years in them. They only reason the fish die is because they are above ground and we have cold winters. I usually only have Gambusi in them. I try to keep down mosquitos. When they get old and rusted I line them with either liner or whatever I can find. I use old swimming pool liner too. It does not look so pretty but hey it holds water. LOL.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »
This whole topic just cracks me up.  ;)
I'm on Kats side...it's a fact that a nice layer of algae is a GOOD thing for a ponds ecosystem.
I really HATE it when people power wash their ponds to get it off, because it horribly disrupts the entire ecosystem.

But it's a personal preference. A lot of people hate the look of algae.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »
I, too, think that algae is necessary for a good ecosystem.  That is the reason I am so please with the epoxy pond paint that I used.  Both ponds have a
nice growth of algae on the walls. 

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
Nope I leave good algae. It is like carpet on the side of my ponds. Fish eat it when it is early spring and whenever they want. I do not use chemicals in my ponds except to take clorine out. I use koi clay in my ponds. I use mosquito fish in every pond and tub.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
I leave all the good algae as well. It's the bad stuff that is getting on my eel grass that bothers me. I won't get rid of that until I finish the other two troughs. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"