Author Topic: Tink Lotus Progress  (Read 1988 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tink Lotus Progress
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
I haven't had much luck with the whole lotus thing.  This year, thanks to Tinkster, I potted the lotus and placed it in my pond.  It gets very hot here in the summer, so I figured this would be the best way.  Wish me luck.  Thanks again, Tink.  O0
Alfonso

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tink Lotus Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
Looks like you are doing fine so far  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
Seeing those pictures has got me excited as I too have some tubers from Tinkster. Mine are sitting in a bucket of water still due to the fact that Old Man Winter refuses to release us from his grasp here in north central Illinois. 3-6 inches of snow is predicted for tonight. I have my 1/2 barrel planters and 40 pounds of composted cow manure and osmocote (per Joyce) ready to go. Maybe next week?
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
You can do it!!
Alfonso

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »
double whoooo hoooooooo .. looks like its gone arial on ya.  Question.. in the 2nd picture it looks like the tuber is not in contact with the dirt but on top of the rocks??? Maybe just the way it looks on here but if its not in contact with the dirt it might not make it to set roots????

GO LANDLEY GOOOOOO

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
Seeing those pictures has got me excited as I too have some tubers from Tinkster. Mine are sitting in a bucket of water still due to the fact that Old Man Winter refuses to release us from his grasp here in north central Illinois. 3-6 inches of snow is predicted for tonight. I have my 1/2 barrel planters and 40 pounds of composted cow manure and osmocote (per Joyce) ready to go. Maybe next week?

Sounds like you and I are having the same weather.....DH and I did get the 3 whiskey barrells up from the basement today but only to the garage, seeing as the temps are in the mid 20's didn't want to chance them out for a couple days....wishing I had marked  two of them now I forgot which is which and we wanted to put the larger one in the new yet to be built lotus pond.  May have to wait a year for that one.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »
They're making contact.  They curve, so that part sticks up.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Alfonso

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:02:49 AM »
Landey, looking very nice indeed.  O0  I hope mine will be shooting out tiny leaves soon.  Hope the ice storm didn't kill it.  DH didn't bring it in while I was at work.   {nono}  Sigh...  Now I'm feeling really guilty about it even though the pot is under water and the ice on the pond only lasted a few hours.   :(

Keep the pics coming.  It sure will be looking mighty pretty soon.   :)

Kuan

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
lookin goood  @O@.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
Well the uck water has not settled out in the new little lotus pond, but when it does I'll let you see.  Here are some pictures of the new little lotus pond....DH insisted on it as he is sick of hauling whiskey barrels into the basement every fall.  I'm hoping the lotus survive in this....it is a little more then 3' deep and 5'x4' on top and the bottom of it is smaller about 4'x 33".  DH started it(dug about a foot down) but I finished it as his back has been bothering him.  He's hoping that the frogs will like it to mud in for the winter.  I'll finish it off when we get back from our trip, don't have time right now to much else to do.

Her secret is patience.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 07:43:44 AM »
you will love how much more lotus bloom in a pond than a pot.  one thing to think of is that is almost exacttly the size I dug my first lotus pond except mine was a tad longer but anways.. if your lining it be VERY careful. I ended up having to take my lotus out of that pond as the tips grow into the folds of the liner, get stuck go no further and the lotus stops growing for that season.  It never killed my monster lotus but for 3 year it would take off start making its circles around the pond.. they grow to the outside and circle round and round and within a month all the tips had grown into the folds and that would stop the cycle of circling.  Within a month its gone for the year.  I tried to open the folds as i could see the lotus stuck in them but was never able to successfully get them out so it could continue growing. If i was doing it again witha liner, I would glue my seams so it could not get in tucks.  Have seen others report the same thing happen with lotus and lined ponds.  I piosted a picture here on the forum last summer as I could not believe it when peole said they would grow in a corner and die and I cant find it right now.  But anways... cant wait to see yours planted and blooming

tink

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Da##   >:(- that is what I did, I wondered about the folds, crap >:( it was not easy digging and the liner cost a bit also...What a huge let down :-\........now that they are planted what do I do??? without a liner there would be no way to contain the water, the only thing I could do is take out the dirt again and put in big drums or pots......I feel as if I wasted the whole weekend, wish I would have questioned it first :-\.  Will the totaly die or just not bloom this year???  Leaving for vacation mid week so can't do anything about it now......guess I learned ask first.
Her secret is patience.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
Im sorry.. didnt mean to bring ya down.. it may not be a problem with you at all.  It never did kill mine,  They did the same thing for 3 years. Just eventually grow in the corners and folds and no new shoots can grow so they die back for the year.. the lotus was fine and bloomed great right at first of each summer.  I would just see how it goes.  you may never have a problem with it,  mine was that m[nster lotus and the stalks on it was huge and they would just jamm up on the corners so hard in the folds i coudldn even pull them out.  Other lotus may not have that problem.  I would do nothing the worst is you could lose the lotus but I dont think that will happen, or it didnt with mine.  Im sorry I wish i had said anything now i didnt know you already had it planted.

tink

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
No Tink don't feel bad about letting me know about your experience....now if it happens to me I know why and I'll learn from my mistake also ;).  So there are the 4 tubers you sent me in it, are they the monster ones?  If the worst happens and they totaly die off, then I will try again, or turn it into something else who knows they may just die off in my harsh winters. DH has more faith in it then me as it was his idea to do it (even the location which I think is dumb ::)) but I did all the work as he hurt his back a week ago and about after a foot of digging he figured that was enough he shouldn't over do it.  I was a bit bumbed at first but I've got a bad cold and trying to get ready for a trip to DC  Thurs. to babysit the grandkids so I'm stressed as it is, after rereading my post I do sound more upset then I am now.  We'll see how it goes O0 thanks again for the lotus tubers and the opportunity to try it :).
Her secret is patience.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
WOW!! That's dedication.  Way to go Marla.  I'm interested in seeing the final product with full grown lotus. 
Alfonso

Offline Danny

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 12:59:28 AM »
Tink,

Lotus tubers that you mailed me.  Tubers are very healthy and both lotus are doing great.  Big Mahalo for your time for dividing your lotus and offer for postage.  Thank you again.    Danny, Hawaii 4/17/09

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
It is going aerial! @O@  I think we're doing alright. 
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
My dog seems to be excited, as well.  :P
Alfonso

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »
hehehe.. love that picture landley! 

Congrats on arial.  Think you got it licked now.

Looking great danny!!

tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"