Author Topic: jw... Plant ID  (Read 686 times)

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
jw... Plant ID
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »
 8)
Hi jw...  Didn't want to hijack the potting thread...  Large tall red plant is Lobelia Cardinalis... It does just as well or better out of the pond and is perennial (likes water), Split Leaf by skimmer Buddha is a Ligularia, we like the tropical look but it does not like too much sun and needs lots of water... I've now got it in a pot in the pond with just "wet feet" (perennial also)...

Most everything is hardy/perennial; Tasmanian spurge, Hot Lips Salvia, Aster, Delphinim, Creeping Jenny, dianthus, Hebe (it got bit this year with the snow) and what we call Donkeys's Tail groundcover (some kind of very hardy succulent with yellow flowers in the Spring)... Hosta in the creek and WF come back every year bigger than last...

I bring the Taro in for the winter and it does fine in the garage with just occasional waterings...  We plant bare-root impatiens in the WF and around the edges for color spots, along with petunias, salvia, and coleus and that's about all the annuals we buy each year...  Tried to make a conscious effort to go with perennials just so there's less "knee time" in the spring!!!!

I also go out back of our place and get native sedge every couple years, there is no stopping it and it stays green thru winter and summer in the pond, only the pot keeps it from getting too large...

Take Care...   Dave

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: jw... Plant ID
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Thanks Dave for all the plant info. I'm going to copy all this and try to build up my plantings. I love the tropical look and I have 3 palms that I grew from seed growing next to my pond. I got the seeds from off the ground at the Woodland Park Zoo. Took ages for them to sprout in my green house but finally they did. They are only about a foot tall right now but they'll grow. I had some seeds left but they are a few years old so don't know if they will sprout but I'm trying them again just for the heck of it. You mentioned WF but I don't know what that means. I'm not quite up with the lingo I guess.
I hear ya on the knee time. I am trying to go with mostly all perennials too. Thanks again.
                                                                                     Janice

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"