Author Topic: ALL MY FISH ARE DEAD :(  (Read 1730 times)

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ALL MY FISH ARE DEAD :(
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
 I looked at the pond a few days ago and found a few hundred bullheads all dead and floating around on one edge of the pond! I was just back there yesterday, and OMG, I can't believe it all my poor koi are dead too  :'( Geesh, I just loved those fish to pieces!! Kinda like little kids, they would watch me walk around the pond and follow me like little kids!  never knew they were doing that until one summers day I turned my head and they were all in a straight line!! When I saw them I turned around and started back, and they turned around and followed me to the deep end too :) I know it's a learned thing, that they come to you certain times when they know your going to give out the treats, I fell just awful! I have to go back and get the big net and I think I will put them in my Fathers Memory Garden! It was such a long and cold winter this year, and lots of snow on the ice too! I just talked about selling the place, it sure won't be the same without my lil babies,  :-\

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ALL MY FISH ARE DEAD :(
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
Bay City where?

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
Hi Esther,
I live in Bay City, Michigan. I see you are a Michigander also. Grand Rapids, I see it on the map, just never ventured out that way! I am from the Detroit area, but found my way up here 30 some yrs. ago. We've been having some snow on and off today! The wind blew so hard it just kept zaping my greenhouse to and fro. I will have to trudge over to the pond tomorrow, hopefully the weather will be a little better and try to net my babies out and get them in the garden. Just a while back I had to take my little yorkie, Daisy, to the vets to be put to sleep. She was such a good little girl. I had her for 14 years. It's just very, very hard to let go. She would walk with me out to the pond and stand in the water and wait for me to throw out the food for the fishes :)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »
That's really sad and I feel so bad for you. I lost half my fish this winter due to I think the colder than normal weather and me not cleaning the pond out last fall like I should have. I have goldfish as I heard the Koi like to rearrange all the furniture. Sorry about your little dog also. I had my golden retriever/lab for 12 yrs and I lost him a few yrs ago to cancer. He was my best friend. I miss him dearly. I will prolly not get another one tho as I don't think I could find one as wonderful as he was. I am crazy about all animals and feel so bad when they are sick or in pain. I have two kitties now and my fish and that's it for now. My husband will retire in a couple yrs so the cats better like traveling. I hope you can get your pond up and running right again so you can add some more fish.
                                                                     Janice

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
Tootsie, don't dispair, you are not alone. I lost all mine/10 this winter too. The largest being 22" and 4 pounds. The other 8 weren't much smaller. We still don't know for sure but suspect the water became depleted of oxygen. Right now I'm not planning on having Koi again, just goldfish. But I miss my big guys and their colors. I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
Oh no Tootsie, I'm so sorry you lost all your fish.  No matter what the reason, that's just awful.   :'(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:46:51 AM »
Oh, Tootsie, I am so sorry.  Sounds like you have had a really bad winter :'(
Hopefully, things will get better this Spring.

Karen

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »
Tootsie, so sorry about your loss.  It sure is hard to not see them swimming around especially the friendly ones.   :'(  Sigh...

Kuan

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
Thank You Everyone :)
I am on my way to the pond with my nets and shovels :( I also noticed that green muck (algae?) around the one side of the pond where the bullheads were clustered. I was surfing around looking and all the fish and pond pictures all of you have posted! Some very pretty and unusual markings on those sweet fin kids :) Maybe I will see the big tanker truck this spring that has all the Koi and fat head minnows. The one fella drives here from Ark. I wanted to meet him in the midland area last spring, but then thought I had enough already in the pond. Now I am so glad I did not purchase any then!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »
Sorry for your loss. Esther too.  :'(

I lost almost all of mine last winter (2007) but there wasn't a single fin, bone or body. They just disappeared. I blame a kingfisher or heron.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about it too, but I also feel ya.

I lost a couple here too this winter.  It was after the ice storm that I found them.  I guess with the ice, and no power it got the best of them.  Funny this is, I had 2 white moutain minnows (think that's what they are) out in the little front yard puddle, they made it.  I don't believe they are winter hardy for this area either.  Go figure.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:38:08 PM »
tootsie I'm so sorry about your fish, it is hard we do turn those fish into pets, I've lost a few along the way.  Don't dispare to much though.....lots of people lost all or some of their fish this year.  Hope you get some new beauties soon.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"