Author Topic: "60 Minutes" and the VIRUS warning! April 1st is the day it is supposed to stri  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
It sounded pretty scary.  My son-in-law gave me these tips.  I am sure SEAN can advise us how to protect ourselves.  Of course advice is welcome form ALL!

Here is what Bill said"

1. Run a complete scan.

2.Start, run, MRT.

3.Run Wimdows update.

4. to use Microsoft removal tool, go to www.sarc.com

5. Keep your anti virus software constantly updated.

Bill is not a computer whiz, but this surely can't hurt.  Yor in put please.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:55:09 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I actually went out and bought anti virus protection after I had a complete system breakdown due to a virus attack a few weeks ago.  It scans in the wee hours of the morning EVERY DAY and it updates every HOUR.  I even emailed Sean about it trying to block AP, but I changed a filter on it and I haven't had any problems.  (Thanks Sean!  ;) )

The trouble with free anti-virus and forms of Microsoft versions that aren't registered is that you don't get the updates that you need.  This virus also disables the ability to receive necessary security updates and then your computer is toast.  They totally had to reload my entire operating system, but I didn't lose any of my files or pics.  Lucky for me I had loaded my pictures to a remote website instead of just storing them in my computer. 

All you can do is protect yourself and keep your fingers crossed that your security system can handle it.  Get an antivirus program that also protects against website infections.   

That's my two cents worth!!   :D 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
If you are concerned, just don't turn on your computer that day. Get out of the house or watch a movie.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
If you are concerned, just don't turn on your computer that day. Get out of the house or watch a movie.

Cheers,
Sean
Sean thats my plan...I'm gonna unplug the puter and hide my head in a hole(probably a lot of holes April 1st is usually the day I start putting out plants)  ;)....Seems to work for me   ;D....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile

Cheers,
Sean
Sean thats my plan...I'm gonna unplug the puter and hide my head in a hole(probably a lot of holes April 1st is usually the day I start putting out plants)  ;)....Seems to work for me   ;D....
Lawanna

YUP , me too !
bonnie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
What are you talking about? I'm supposed to not fire up this thing on the first?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
I like your advice Sean!  I'm going to a very large garden center on Wednesday--ALL DAY LONG!!!   @O@ 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
I'm not turning my computer on.  I don't want to take the chance and have to deal with the consequences.  My internet provider (AT&T) has protection and they told me that everything is scanned before it goes through the connection to me, plus I use AOL and they have built in antivirus protection but somehow I got a couple of bad files.

My antivirus software scan found 2 trojan files the other day.  I was shocked!  :o  Previous scan results have always been 0 infected files found so I got a little lazy about the scans.  I got a pop up the other day that I think fooled me.  It was an AOL instant messenger screen and instead of just closing it I hit the "block" button as I didn't know who this person was and I never use messenger.  I'm wondering if it was a fake screen and I unknowingly opened a file I shouldn't have.  I honestly can't imagine how these files got through.  I deleted the bad files that my antivirus software quarentined and all virus scans are good now, but I'm paranoid about how long these files were on my computer, what they did before I discovered and deleted them and if any personal info was obtained.

If you don't have antivirus software get it and run those scans on a regular basis.  I changed my automatic settings to scan every day now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:37:08 PM by fishlipsmcgee »
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
I EXPECT IMPOTANT DOCUMENTS TOMORROW.`

I will ask them to Fax it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
"I EXPECT IMPOTANT DOCUMENTS TOMORROW."

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Impotent Documents?  Are those ones that won't stand up in court, Jerry?   

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
I found them on my own. I need it for taxes.  Just escrow closing statement.
It is a 1033 !
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
My Avast free antivirus updates every single day and scans every night. I'm not worried....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
From Yahoo Tech:

"What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either. "
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Avast here too my lovelies!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I found this about the visus for anyone interested:
http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1238443907751.shtm

EDIT: I should have added this one too. You guys may have already seen this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29975229/wid/11915829?GT1=40006
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:40:56 PM by tlc »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
I got a nasty virus already once this year and don't need another, even with antivirus it snuck in and I had to crash the computer and do a restore. 
Even if you don't turn on your computer tomorrow, that doesn't mean you may not get it.  If you have any one of the "Conficker" worms and there are numerous ones you could be at risk any time after April 1st, it still could get activated.  I've done a scan, I think I'm up to date, it's been impossible to get on the Microsoft  site to get the protection patch so I'm going to lockdown my firewall and when I get home from work tomorrow try to get the patch again, but I'm hoping I'm protected....even put all my pictures on a flashdrive tonight....don't want to go through a crash and restore again.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
I only have half of Avast.  Does that make me half ast? @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I get a newsletter from Kim Komando and she had this in there yesterday:

I would also sign up with OpenDNS. This is a free service that makes for faster surfing. (DNS stands for domain name service (or server or system). These servers translate names like www.komando.com to Web addresses, like 66.210.246.140.) So, we already use it. I have a link to OpenDNS.

But OpenDNS also teamed with Kaspersky (a Russian security company) against Conficker. It blocks every Web address Conficker uses online. So, if you have Conficker, it couldn't connect online. I'd install OpenDNS pronto. If you already have OpenDNS, you're set.

One other thing: I remember sitting up New Year's Eve, waiting for the Y2K bug. I think I started with Australia. Nothing ever happened. So, you might not want to hold a Conficker party. The whole thing could be anticlimactic.

To get open dns go to:

http://www.opendns.com/

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
So far, so good.  Anyone having any problems or has your antivirus software detected the virus?  Just to be safe I backed up everything last night and made sure microsoft & antivirus was up to date.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
I have scanned both of my computers and there are no viruses here. In order for Conficker to affect your computer, you need to have already had it on your computer. AVG Free will detect this file if it is on your computer.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
ALL well here too. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
The biggest and most popular April Fool's joke is to cry "wolf." The cry was made and a lot of people listened. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Scott. it was the lead story on 60 minutes.  It does command attention
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Scott. it was the lead story on 60 minutes.  It does command attention

Yes, I know but nothing happened, did it? I've become a skeptic when it comes to them things. Software companies benefit from it though. Think of me as a Conspiracy Theorist. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that nothing happened. I just haven't heard anybody tell of a problem. So I don't know.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"