Author Topic: When do plants "sprout"?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline pegs pond

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
When do plants "sprout"?
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »
Hi all, I don't know if my plants are dead or just still dormant.  I'm in SW Washington state and it's still cold, had a few days in upper 50's but more in the low 40's and still freezing at night some nights...and had snow yesterday grrrrrrrrrr.  I know the water celery is okay as it's sprouting.  A couple of the iris are showing some green,  the parrot feathers are showing growth BUT everything else doesn't look like it's alive!  Mini cattails, the anacharis, purple pickerel and water lilies all don't show any growth.  What do ya think?  Also am I supposed to pull the water lilies into shallow water until they start growing?  And I used osmocote to fertilize them when I put them in late summer, should I do it again or wait until the start growing? Sorry but this is all new to me.
Thanks Peggy

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: When do plants "sprout"?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:16:26 AM »
Give them some more time & you'll eventually see some growth.  If it was me I'd wait a bit before bringing the lilies up closer to the surface.  Fertilize after it warms up enough & you've got noticable growth.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline pegs pond

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »
thanks Kat, approximate temps to bring lilies up from deep water?
Peg

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »
I'd say if your parrots feather survived then so did the rest....Like Kat said just give them time...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
I'm still waiting for my trops to pop a pad to the surface. :( Right now, the ponds are going through their cycle and I can't see the pots. :( I may fish them up tomorrow.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »
Most of my plants are growing now. You won't see any life out of the mini cats until it starts getting warm. They are usually the last to show signs of life for me. Some of the other rushes will be slower too.
Most of my lilies are showing new pads but they haven't come to the surface yet. We've had a cold snap for the last two weeks so things have slowed down just a bit. Once it warms up again they will start sending pads up.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
Zone 6 here my verigated cattails are sprouting but they are in shallow water against a white house. It is supposed to snow again tonight or tomorrow. Probably mostly flurries.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"