Author Topic: Clematis Terniflora  (Read 2263 times)

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Clematis Terniflora
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:43:56 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for a clematis that I have seen listed as two by two names; Terniflora and Sweet Autumn. I am also looking for Bonanza clematis. I would like to buy the plants not seeds. My thumb is not so green.  :(

If you have this plant can you tell me if you have ever seen it with another fall blooming clematis. I know this plant is a knockout by itself but I am just wanting more than white to make the show more of a bang!

I have a wooden post with a birdhouse on the it beside my pond. I want to plant the Bonanza there because it is very colorful and not a big vine. It is only to grow 10'. I think that would hide the post and make the birdhouse stand out. :o
Thanks!
WV Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Clematis Terniflora
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
Debbie at Silver Star Vinery has 'Bonanza' she is a very reputable mail order supplier

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/vines.asp?letter=B

Sweet Autumn Clematis is Clematis terniflora in Latin.
They seed like crazy so someone with a mature one like John Johns may have seedlings to share. You might also check on the Clematis forum at Garden Web and see if anyone has any babies to share. Sweet Autumn grows huge. A birdhouse post won't be big enough....This vine can cover twenty to thirty feet and does not play well with others....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  ;)
Zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
wv kim.. thats one of the recommendations i was given for covering up my chain link fence.  there seems to be two types of sweet autumn climatis according to peple on ebay trying to sell them.. one is super invasive the other more disciplined... not sure if they are right but I am looking for the vines to.  I want to get my ugly fence covered super quick.  I might order mine on ebay but never thought about asking here for seedlings.. let me know if you find any.

tink

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
Kim and Tink,
  Let me check to see if I can find you decent seedlings. I have Sweet Autumn and so does my neighbor. We usually have seedlings but I haven't really looked yet. If I can find some I will send you some if you're interested.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:03:21 AM »
that would be wonderful.  Do you have a problem with yours being super invasive and taking over and do you think it would be a good choice to cover tons of chain link. 
thanks!

tink

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:22:53 AM »
There is only one Sweet Autumn Clematis. It might be less vigorous of a grower in some climates compared to others but there aren't two. This is one big vine but it won't eat your house like Wisteria will.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
Tink,
  Mine is planted for that exact reason. Our neighbor built a HUGE storage bldg. right even with our pond. We wanted something to distract from that. Mine is on a cyclone fence and does a great job, covers the fence while distracting the eye from the HUMONGOUS bldg. but it's not invasive in the sense that I've ever been sorry I planted it.. If I can find any pics I will send them.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »
Search the terrestrial plant forum, Johns posted a pic of his last year.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Cath,

Yes!  @O@ I do hope you find some tiny little sprigs coming to life! I am very much willing to pay for them and the shipping. I am so excited! I having been thinking about this plant for two years and just decided to take the leap this year. I have a grape harbour with out the grape vine  :'(  So there is plenty of room for it. I am thinking about planting some type of ornamental grass on the sides to cover the posts.

I chose the Bonanza for the post at my pond. I need some extra color there and thought the purple would look great.

I have a clematis that is light pink with 4 rounded edges similar to the dogwood bloom. I would send you some of it if you are interested. I don't know the name.

Tink, you can have some too. O0

Have a great day!

WV Kim :)
Zone 5b

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
Kim.
  If I find seedlings for you how about we just do a trade? I'm always game for new plants. I will check this weekend and see what I can find. I have moved shoots from mine before and they've lived.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
LEEANNE this is from the add on ebay where she says its a different plant.. she has a good price on it if I knew it was the one I want.

For your purchasing consideration is a second year semi-dormant bareroot plant of Virgin's-bower (Clematis virginiana)

Virgin's-bower is a showy native vine in parts of the eastern states. The leaves are three-parted. The invasive exotic Sweet Autumn Clematis (C. terniflora) is similar, but has 5-parted untoothed leaves and very fragrant flowers. This beautiful clematis requires some moisture but is quite drought tolerant. Requires full sun and well drained soils. Hardy in USDA zones 4 through 9. Crisp and clean pristine white 1 inch fragrant flowers July through September. Grows 10 to 20 feet. This plant is sure to bloom for you this season! Ready to ship now - plants are now breaking dormancy

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »
Clematis virginiana is native to your area but it seeds itself like crazy if a plant of the opposite sex happens to be nearby and grows just as big as terniflora/paniculata but doesn't have the fabulous fragrance that Sweet Autumn Clematis does. 

Here are some threads about them:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0909145315152.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0511440224081.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0921595626460.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0608092915111.html

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
that helped a bunch.. been reading up on clematis there!!!

WV Kim guess what lowes got in this weekend.. sweet autumn clematis... I got two to try for my fence line.. but they tag says morning sun only.. which was not what I have hehehe.  They are fairly good starts and were 5.00.  Figure that is cheaper than we can pay someone for shipping them to us..

tink

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
Thanks Tink!  @O@

Guess where I am going this weekend!!!!  @O@ o(:-) @O@

WV Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »
Don't believe those tags. Most Clematis want full sun.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"