Author Topic: I saved a tree today  (Read 815 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I saved a tree today
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
Construction workers were clearing an area for playground equipment.  As they were doing so, they tore out this Hong Kong Orchid.  I couldn't believe it.  When asked what they were going to do with it, they said the district will handle it.  My wife sent for me and I immediately wrapped what was left of the roots with a plastic bag.  I moistened the roots a little.  It was planted about 2 years ago and was very nice.  Now I've tried to grow this same plant twice and failed.  Mainly due to the hot summers and the trees were very young.  When I planted this tree, I used B1 and some acidic fertilizer.  Is there anything else I can do?  Do you think it has a fighting chance?  It was out of the ground for 30 min before I wrapped it up.   

3rd pic is of my son and wife doing the dishes.  My son is a professional dish washer for hire. 
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I saved a tree today
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
I like that you saved a great looking tree.  I can't believe they didn't want to save that tree.  Lucky you!  I'm not sure how to take care of this tree in its shape but sounds like you are doing very well.  All I can think of is not to over water after the first drenching.

Good Luck!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: I saved a tree today
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
The problem with orchid trees (that I remember from living in Phoenix) is that they often iron deficient.

Use an acid fertilizer on it regularly. Miracle Gro makes one in a blue/gray box if you like liquids and there are others that are granules. Labeled Rhododendron, azalea, gardenia, camellia fertilizers. You may have to buy iron alone as you don't want to over fertilize.

Occasional deep soaking will help leach salts out of the soil.

here is a good article:
http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/orchid_tree.html

Note that the tree in the photo has Iron Chlorosis, needs some iron!

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"