Author Topic: need suggestions  (Read 1629 times)

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
need suggestions
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:37 AM »
I caught a cat fishing in my pond, so far she has managed to kill 3 of my larger ryukins :'( we've put netting over the pond and that seemed to stop her killing spree, but she keeps returning to the pond...........

live traps haven't worked on her, but they have worked great at catching my to toms ::) (both neutered), and short of using a 12 gauge shot gun, does any one have suggestions on how to persuade her to move on?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »
Electric fence.

Motion water cannon, Johns has plans for a DIY one on his website

Unfortunately fancy goldfish swim so "wiggly" at the top of the water and can't dive fast that they are easy prey for all predators. Even those that normally can't/won't catch fish.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »
Cats don't like citrus peel, like orange or lemon. Cut it up and toss it around the pond area. Lay pieces of  sharp thorny sticker stems around the area or some cut up pieces of barbed wire. They give a yell and run but it won't injure them except for an unpleasing poke.
Get one of those motion sensitive scare crows that shoots water at whatever gets in their view. There are some products out in the gardening stores that claim to work like granules or spray etc. but I've never tried them.

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
Try baiting the live trap with an opened can of tuna?
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »
They also don't like the smell of Irish Spring soap. maybe you could hide some nearby where it won't melt into pond if it rains?
Kathy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
That's the only good thing about a fenced in backyard.  It keeps many critters out once you establish uncomfortable situations.  I knew where a neighbor's cat climbed in and out, so I laid lots of cut rose trimmings by its entrance.  Also I always have a garden hose ready to shoot water.  They hate the attack of water.  It has worked.  No cats in my backyard menagerie of bird, turtle, and fishies.

Mind you, I don't hate cats.  I only hate the poop they leave behind and the possible attack of my fancy goldies.  Otherwise I like them from afar.   ;)

Offline aravenschild

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
Thank you for all the advice so far, but.........

LeAnn151
electric fence :-\ to many grandkids, and neighbors that come by unexpected, not to mention my fat lazy toms that love to sleep in the back corner
motion cannon, ::) the pond is by my front door, don't think unexpected guests will approve of a soaking lol (though the grandkids might ;D)

JW & Perplexed Ponder
It is an above ground pond, about 24 inches tall, all the great ideas you both have mentioned will more then likely end up in the pond :-\

Reedman
Have already tried the live trap, shes toooo smart even for tuna ;D, and my toms won't pass up on a free tuna dinner ;D, no matter what they have to go through to get it ::)

Miguynmkoi
My backyard is fenced :-\ but the pond is by my front door

So far the netting has worked, haven't lost any more, just don't like the look of it. She runs away whenever she sees us now, so maybe she will get the idea that she isn't welcome and move on. I guess all that I can do now is have a talk with those lazy toms of mine about who they can invite home..................... lol

Thank you again,

aravenschild

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
Ok when all else fails get a Jack Russel terrier!

Offline aravenschild

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
We have a rat terrier, will that work? lol

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
I don't like the look of netting either, but it saves my big koi. So I will keep netting it. I have cats coming around too. So far I don't think they have caught any of my fish.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
I'm sticking tom my guns on this,  :D

One or two pumps, soft, plastic pellet, apply to cat's rear end as needed. 

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »
Oh, my PET PEEVE - OTHER PEOPLE'S cats allowed to run amock on YOUR property!  We've discussed this before; I'm sure you can find suggestions if you do a Search, or scroll around last summer's discussions.  Probably in a thread started by ME!

In addition to the above suggestins, there is also fox and coyote urine, which is supposed to repel cats, because those animals are natural predators.  Google them to find a vendor.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:47:51 AM »
Oh Bullfrog here we go again!  @O@ She could get an invisible fence.........you know like the one's they use to keep animals in the yard. But she could use it just the opposite. Put the collar thingy on the cat and put it outside of the yard and then when the cat tries to come in it would get zapped! Course the owner of the cat would have to agree to it and it costs a lot too.  :( Or you could put an electric fence around the area and only turn it on when you see the  cat is out there and the kids and others aren't out there and after a few volts the cat would not come in that area again and you could then just use it for back up now and then.  8-)~ That's the cheaper route!

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
Electrify a can of tuna with a fence charger, set it on a small insulating surface like a tea cup saucer. set it on the ground and that cat will never eat tuna in your yard again!  and probably will stay out of your yard all together.      Your toms will learn not to eat tuna also.    I don't know if that will protect your koi but sure will protect your tuna.

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »
I have the same problem with stray cats. I now have a scarecrow!  @O@ They are expensive but worth every penny.

WV Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45:17 AM »
My method is cheaper and a lot more fun.  @O@

We have that wireless shock collars for our dogs before we built the wooden fence and it costs about $180.00 with two collars.

How about a slingshot?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »
How about keeping fish that swim and dive fast enough to escape? Ryunkins in a pond without a cover are begging to be eaten.....

Even if you've seen this cat eating or playing with one outside of the pond it could have been one of your own cats, a raccoon or a heron who actually did the deed.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"