Author Topic: 21 horses.  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
21 horses.
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
Something, or someone, killed 21 beautiful souls. These were athletes. In top shape.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7380774&page=1

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: 21 horses.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »
Might be mold in the hay.  :'(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
Makes me so heartsick...  :'(

Who could be so evil?  >:(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
That's terrible...all those poor horses .  :'( :'(

bonnie

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »
Roark thinks maybe carbon monoxide - muffler fumes. Or a leaking freon line in the a/c.
Either one would slowly replace the horse's oxygen in their blood.
Then a short walk, to the paddock, would push them over the edge. :(

I sure hope it wasn't someone's malice.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:16:34 AM »
That's tragic.  :'(  I too hope someONE is not responsible for this.   >:(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:16:30 AM »
This is so heart breaking.  :'(  Who could have done such a heinous crime to kill these beautiful horses (if someone did)??  I just don't understand.   {nono}

Kuan

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

Kuan, it is not really thought to have been on purpose. Horses are delicate and they die fairly easily. Toxins in feed are not put there by people but are usually from molds. All the horses were on the same team so given the same feed/supplements/water.

Roark could be right about the carbon monoxide though they suffered pulmonary edema then cardiac arrest not sure that is a sigh of carbon monoxide poisoning or not? Just read that they were in multiple trailers. The chances of more than one trailer having a problem are slim...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/04/20/0420polohorses.html

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/04/20/0420poloregs.html

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/04/20/a1a_vargasprofile_0421.html

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50323/polo-world-stunned-by-horse-deaths

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:42:14 AM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:14:46 PM »
Whether it was accidental or purposely, very sad and horrible indeed!  Unimaginable!  Poor poor creatures.  :'(

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
This was shocking. I feel for the poor horses and their owners.
It really would not surprise me if they determine that someone intentionally did this. There are a lot of really nutty people out there.
The level of animal cruelty, abuse and neglect out there right now is unreal. For example, one type of
abuse we are seeing more and more of is dragging of animals. Its unreal and I don't understand
really why we are seeing a rise in this particular abuse.
I don't understand how people can do such things. :'( :'(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »
The desire to win in competition is great.  We all know about athletes doping to increase their performance and I was wondering if perhaps something similar was involved here.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »
No, doping isn't done in polo. There are no rules against it in the US though. There is no reason to dope a polo pony.

Polo ponies need to be sane, not just run fast. They must be very responsive to the rider or there are going to be serious injuries to riders and horses. They must stop and steer more in one chukkar (quarter) than some race horses do in their careers. (I used to help retrain race horses for saddle horses and they don't know how to stop or steer much at all)

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
Race horses are fun  ::) to retrain!  They only have one speed, no brakes and will only go to the left!  Hard to teach them to pick up the right lead! 
There is plenty of "doping" with polo horses - steroids.  I don't think the problem is going to be moldy hay tho... most horses, unless they've been starved, won't eat moldy hay.  Even if they did the results would be a colicy horse, not the heart problems these horses experienced.  I think they're going to find a toxin in the horses "giddy-up" drug... I'd put money on that all of the horses got B-12 shots before they were trailered.
Tammie

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Steroids are legal in the US for polo ponies but not in England.

They were legal for race horses as well. Big Brown won the Kentucky Derby on steriods and Curlin was named Horse of the Year on them. Until this year, Iowa was the only state that banned steroid use in racehorses. Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Delaware have now banned them after the big hoopla surrounding Big Brown when the public found out about them....

Looks like it is going to turn out to be the vitamin supplement the team captain is blaming so this is one big awful accident, this pharmacy certainly had no reason to deliberately kill these horses:

An official at a Florida pharmacy said Thursday the business incorrectly prepared a supplement given to 21 polo horses that died over the weekend while preparing to play in a championship match.

Jennifer Beckett of Franck's Pharmacy in Ocala, Fla., told The Associated Press in a statement that the business conducted an internal investigation that found "the strength of an ingredient in the medication was incorrect." The statement did not say what the ingredient was.

Beckett, who's the pharmacy's chief operating officer, said the pharmacy is cooperating with an investigation by state authorities and the Food and Drug Administration.

Biodyl is designed to help animals recover from strenuous activities and muscular problems, according to Merial Limited, its manufacturer.Top Lechuza Caracas polo player Juan Martín Nero told an Argentine newspaper the horses that died Sunday and Monday were given the drug weekly.

Franck's is one of the top suppliers in the nation of veterinary chemical compounds, local vets say. Wellington veterinarian Dr. Ben Schachter said he has used the pharmacy for 25 years.

the pharmacy may also face charges because this supplement is illegal in the USA from the FDA not the Polo Association.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:59:10 AM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
Oh boy, that bites. That's going to be a legal mess. So sad for the horses.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
heard this on the news today and was quite disturbed, sounds as if the only horses that died were those that had the vitamin supplements.....sounds like someone tainted it.  I'm on a  vacation/babysitting trip, so I have not seen to much news or had much internet access.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
I would be surprised if there is a lawsuit. The owner doesn't need the money. And it won't bring back the horses.
But there might be.

I feel terrible about this. 21 beautiful souls. The equivalent of an entire football team dying. And the owner was one of the riders. It will take him 10 years or more to build up another winning team - and then he will be too old to ride. So his career in this sport is ended.
 :-\

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 04:36:30 AM »
sad...they found out what happened....

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (April 22) - An official at a Florida pharmacy said Thursday the business incorrectly prepared a supplement given to 21 polo horses that died over the weekend while preparing to play in a championship match.

Jennifer Beckett of Franck's Pharmacy in Ocala, Fla., told The Associated Press in a statement that the business conducted an internal investigation that found "the strength of an ingredient in the medication was incorrect." The statement did not say what the ingredient was.

Beckett, who's the pharmacy's chief operating officer, said the pharmacy is cooperating with an investigation by state authorities and the Food and Drug Administration.
The horses from the Venezuelan-owned Lechuza polo team began crumpling to the ground shortly before Sunday's U.S. Open match was supposed to begin, shocking a crowd of well-heeled spectators at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington.

"On an order from a veterinarian, Franck's Pharmacy prepared medication that was used to treat the 21 horses on the Lechuza Polo team," Beckett said. "As soon as we learned of the tragic incident, we conducted an internal investigation."

She said the report has been given to state authorities.

Lechuza also issued a statement to AP acknowledging that a Florida veterinarian wrote the prescription for the pharmacy to create a compound similar to Biodyl, a French-made supplement that includes vitamins and minerals and is not approved for use in the United States.

"Only horses treated with the compound became sick and died within 3 hours of treatment," Lechuza said in the statement. "Other horses that were not treated remain healthy and normal."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:39:40 AM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »
Jennifer Beckett of Franck's Pharmacy in Ocala, Fla., told The Associated Press in a statement that the business conducted an internal investigation that found "the strength of an ingredient in the medication was incorrect." The statement did not identify the ingredient.

The horses from the Venezuelan-owned Lechuza polo team began crumpling to the ground shortly before Sunday's U.S. Open match was supposed to begin, shocking a crowd of well-heeled spectators at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington.

"On an order from a veterinarian, Franck's Pharmacy prepared medication that was used to treat the 21 horses on the Lechuza Polo team," Beckett said. "As soon as we learned of the tragic incident, we conducted an internal investigation."

She said the report has been given to state authorities.

Lechuza also issued a statement to AP acknowledging that a Florida veterinarian wrote the prescription for the pharmacy to create a compound similar to Biodyl, a French-made supplement that includes vitamins and minerals and is not approved for use in the United States.

"Only horses treated with the compound became sick and died within 3 hours of treatment," Lechuza said in the statement. "Other horses that were not treated remain healthy and normal."

Lechuza also said it was cooperating with authorities that include the State Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Biodyl contains a combination of vitamin B12, a form of selenium called sodium selenite and other minerals. It is made in France by Duluth, Ga.-based animal pharmaceutical firm Merial Ltd. and can be given to horses to help with exhaustion. It is widely used abroad, but not approved in the U.S.

Compound pharmacies can, among other things, add flavor, make substances into a powder or liquid or remove a certain compound that may have an adverse reaction in different animal species. Only in limited circumstances can they legally recreate a drug that is not approved in the U.S., according to the FDA.

Necropsies of the 21 horses found internal bleeding, some in the lungs, but offered no definitive clues to the cause of death.

FDA spokeswoman Siobhan DeLancey said compounding pharmacies cannot legally recreate existing drugs or supplements under patent. In most cases, they are also not allowed to recreate a medication that is not approved for use in the U.S.

On its Web site, the FDA says it generally defers to "state authorities regarding the day-to-day regulation of compounding by veterinarians and pharmacists."

However, the agency says it would "seriously consider enforcement action" if a pharmacy breaks federal law in compounding medications. It isn't yet clear Franck's broke the law.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
Ah... thought it would have something to do with the B-12 shots.  So d**n sad!
Tammie

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
Selenium, some idiot transposed the decimal in the prescription....

Quoting anonymous sources, La Nacion, newspaper of Argentina, reported Friday that the 21 Lechuza Caracas team horses scheduled to play in Sunday's polo match were injected with a lethal dose – 10 times the intended amount – of selenium, a trace mineral that is poisonous to horses in high doses. The newspaper reported that 0.5 mg/ml was prescribed but the compound actually contained 5 mg/ml.

Selenium is essential to good health but required only in small amounts, according to the National Institutes of Health. It is found in soil, some meats and seafood.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »
You really have to be carefull with Selenium.  Most feed, and pasture grass has some in it.  Then you go and add a supplement, and end up giving to much.  The grass here in Hawaii doesn't have any Selenium in it, but if one of my horses was on straight pasture I still wouldn't give and supplement.  To easy to overdose.  There is acute selenium poisoning, and chronic selenium poisoning.  Chronic is hair lose, bad hooves, general unhealthy horse.  I can't remember now what the acute poisoning symtoms are... I did look it up when this all happened and remember thinking that the symtoms didn't fit what happened to these horses.  But man!  They sure were overdosed!  Such a shame...
I'd think the horses were all insured.  Bet the insurance company will be filing their law suit soon...
Tammie

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
Only 8 of the 21 were insured.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
chronic small over doses will cause abnormalities in foals if the mares are pregnant when dosed.  :'(
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
My friend's son manages the polo club in FL.  He tried to transport one of the horses to the vet when it became ill but it dies in his trailer.  he was then afraid to put any other horses in the trailer in case of disease until they found out the cause of all the deaths.  He said it was terrible to be there.Yes, so sad.  I guess mistakes, honest or careless, will always be made as long as humans exist.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"