Author Topic: MUSHROOMS.........  (Read 2283 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
MUSHROOMS.........
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
WOOOHOOOO  @O@

Anyone besides me hunt them ? We've found over 200 so far .
Mostly the spikes,snake heads & black ones...the sponge one's are not out yet...
there's 67 in this batch we found  the other day.

bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: MUSHROOMS.........
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:19:21 PM »
those are way cool!  I have always been afriad of mushrooms. Long story put very short. .my dad came from a family of 10 kids.  Mother passed away young, father tried raising them in the sticks of ky, never seen a town till they were 16ish.  He always told them mushrooms where snake dodooo.. I believe he did that to keep them from eating and possibly dying from them, having his hands much to full trying to farm and feed 10 kids back then in the depression era.  So that was passed on to me and my brother,  my dad believed this for a long time and I still think he semi believes it.  And I still ooka t some of them and think. hmm what a big snake. 

tink

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »
I hunt them too, but with today being 44 degrees and raining....it's just too cold.  Some have been finding the gray morels I see a few of in your pic.  Even though I am not that far north of you, we are usually a few weeks behind in everything in the spring.  We won't be finding the big yellows for a few weeks yet. 

I have grown up hunting them.  Once you tune your eyes to the ground and see the first one, if you're lucky you can look out in front of you and see them popping up from the forest floor!  Thrilling!  And NOBODY gives away they mushroom woods locations!!  O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
We love to hunt mushrooms.  This is a great year for them around here.  The first day we went out, which was last Monday we found 31, the second day 394. @O@  We have been going practically every day.  They are even growing in my mulch in the flower beds, which is a first.

We had the kids over for breakfast on Saturday, I fried three big skillets full.  We have given away a lot of them and I am planning on freezing some tomorrow. 

Tink, I can understand your fear.  We know an Amish family that lost two members a long time ago because of poisonous mushrooms. 

This pic was taken a few days ago, we found some even bigger ones yesterday.  It was cold and raining.  I picked them wearing gloves.

Karen

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »
I dated a woman once who said she would never eat mushrooms.  When I asked why, she said, "do you know what they use to fertilize them?".

LOL...I said, "yeah, the same crap they use to fertilize almost everything else we eat!"

I love 'shrooms!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
An old boyfriend always used to say, "Never trust anything that grows in the dark."  But I'm with you, Blind, I love them, too!

I wonder if you can eat the ones that grow in your compost pile.  Karen, why did you wear gloves to pick your morels? 

Wolfgang Puck had an episode where he visited a commercial mushroom factory.  They grow them in sterile pint sized jars laid on their sides, in a cool, dark room, in a special sterilized soil medium.  They had 'shrooms poking out of those jars, so white and fat and really jammed in there.   

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »
Julles,

Because it was cold ;D ;D ;D

I also had earmuffs on ;)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:31 AM »
reminds me of a joke:

A lady is getting married for the fourth time and a new acquaintance of hers is questioning her fourth marriage, seeing that her first three husbands were deceased and very wealthy at the times of their deaths.

"oh, my first husband died of poisoned mushrooms, and so did the second", she said.
"oh, how sad", said her friend.  "and what took your third husband's life?  It wasn't the mushrooms again, was it?"
"oh, heavens no!  He died from gunshot wounds", she told her.
"gunshot wounds?  oh my, how did that happen?", her friend asked.
"well, I just couldn't get him to eat the poisoned mushrooms no matter how hard I tried".
 :o {nono}
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »
I love mushrooms!  I would be afraid to eat wild ones that I picked because I don't know the difference between the poision ones.

A resuaurant here has a whole dinner one night built around morel mushrooms when they are in season here in Michigan.  Here is the menu for this year...

Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »
Waaaaay Cooool!  I love mushrooms too!  To pick your own would be fabulous! 

Fishlips, you're killing me with the eight course mushroom dinner!  When you go you must take photos and delish descriptions!  ::)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
Thats not fair , Karen ! The Morels are up in you're area already !.....they're just starting to come up here.
I plan on freezeing some too ...

bonnie

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:40:07 AM »
Question:  When you buy mushrooms at the grocery store, either bulk or pre-packaged, do you have to wash them?  I was under the impression that mushrooms are grown without pesticides, so are safe to eat as they come.  Also, if you wet them, they get mushy. 

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »
I always wipe them with a barely damp paper towel or cloth because I find that there are clumps of whatever medium they were grown in still clinging to them.  You are right about not getting them wet because they will absorb the water.  I also have a mushroom brush that has very soft bristles so you can just brush the dirt off.  I don't remember where I bought it but it was specifically labeled to clean mushrooms.

Annette, you and I both will have to imagine how delicious the 8 course mushroom feast will be.  I don't have plans to go this year.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »
Beautiful mushroom pictures, thanks for posting them. Karen, thanks for putting a quarter on one for reference.

Seems that every year a small amount of people here go mushroom hunting around this time and post awesome pictures.  :D Steve posted the morel pics last year, if I remember correctly.
I have yet to find a mushroom that looks edible.

Where is a good place to look? I have woods in my backyard that slope down to a wetland. Lots of Oaks, but no Morels. What do they taste like? The only mushrooms I usually eat are little button, or Portabella. Occasionally a Shitake or those Woodears for hot & sour soup or other Chinese dishes.

Jaques Peppin said that you can wash mushrooms in water if you like, but you must dry them off immediately, before they soak up the water. That works for me if I'm only doing a few. If a lot, the brush is easier.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
You'd better do more than brush the morels off with a brush you find in the woods around here.  They are damp, moist mushrooms and only come up when it has rained.  You cut them in half and soak them in salt water:  then the sow bugs, snails, ants, slugs, centipedes, and many other kinds of buglets that are in those nooks and crannies and mostly up INSIDE the mushroom come out and you rinse them down the drain.   ;D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
My first mushroom expedition is this Saturday.. Hopefully they will be up. It's almost a relief when you "see" the first one so that you eyes are tuned into them then the ground just comes alive with them if you're lucky. My favorite is morel and fresh asparagus omelet. I've never froze them but my friend uses a dehydrator with good results
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
Oh yum, mushrooms cut up and cooked in butter! We used to pick Chantrells (sp) over on the Olympic Penninsula when we lived over there in the late 60's. They were plentiful and we would freeze them. I bet you can't get near any over there now. But I can taste them now.........my mouth is watering  o(:-)

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
You cut them in half and soak them in salt water:  then the sow bugs, snails, ants, slugs, centipedes, and many other kinds of buglets that are in those nooks and crannies and mostly up INSIDE the mushroom come out and you rinse them down the drain.   
    Holy Cow Kittyzee.  I guess I'll "pick" my mushrooms from the store.  Thanks for the warning.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
 lol  Fishlips I know it sounds yucky, but they come from the damp, moldy forest floor where all of those little creatures live.  It just makes sense to clean them out of the mushroom before eating.  I found 1 gray mushroom today and my daughter found 2 black tops.  After this weekend's warm weather, we will be eating good I'm sure!! 

Freddie Peepers:  Mushrooms and Asparagus!   8-)~
LuAnn

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
Really, thanks for the warning.  I never thought there would be critters in them.  Makes sense,  I just never thought about it (city girl).

Now if I ever go mushroom picking (NOT) I'll keep that in mind  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"