Author Topic: Greenhouse Temp  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Greenhouse Temp
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:33:52 AM »
What temperature should I keep my greenhouse this winter?  DH says it doesn't need to be any warmer than 40 but I say it needs to be warmer.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline gander

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse Temp
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:37:39 AM »
Depends on what you are growing. I found that african violets and coleus dont really like it colder than 42 degrees.   I am sure there are other plants too.

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:05:23 AM »
I have taros, dahila's, canna's, tropical lily and some other plants
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:25:29 AM »
For years I kept my overnight low in the greenhouse at 40-45 degrees on the coldest nights and was very happy with the performance of my taro, cannas, umbrella palm, papyrus, rushes, thalia, etc.   I must say though, because of the lower temps and the lower intensity of winter sunlight, I experienced a great deal of rot when the plants are left in water.   Since I began dry potting my aquatic marginal plants in compost or sterile potting soil with good drainage and water on all sunny days (evaporation in the pots is less on the cooler cloudy days in Oklahoma), my losses are now usually related to something stupid that I’ve done. 

In regard to tropical water lilies, the ambient temperature being low doesn’t seem to be as much a problem as does the water temperature.  Though it may not be cost effective I drop 800 watt submersible titanium heaters in tubs or vats to elevate the water temp around 60 or 65 for mature tropical lilies and 75-85 if I’m trying to stimulate young growth from tubers. 

By the way, when my marginals go back in the water in the spring, I remove the winter potting mix and transplant back into my trusty Oklahoma red clay with a thin layer of Osmocote 13-13-13 slow release fertilizer under it.  Water gardening is the only good use I ever found for that darned clay.

I know most people will be shocked at the fact that I take a lot of hardy aquatic plants in for the winter but my Koi are too large  and numerous to have much success dropping them in the bottom of those ponds, plus I’ve learned to like the idea of starting the season each year with larger root stock on my plants. 

Enjoy outgrowin’ yer greenhouse.
Paul.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »
Lettuce and hyacinth won't be happy with those temps  :no: they are the main reason I try to keep mine from falling under 60 degrees...on really cold nights it will fall down to the 50s and high 40s but, not often........I let things go semi-dormant not totally dormant..and make sure you stop fertilizing
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »
Most plants fair just fine in cold weather...  It's the frost and freezing they do not take kindly to.
I tent off two areas of my patio each winter, One heated for people and very tropical plants and the other for the two or three weeks that we get frost just to keep it off the foliage of the plants I do not want frost burnt.

Your Dahlia's and Canna's need to grow back from the roots each spring. Just cut them back to the base in the fall and keep the pots dry and insulated in the greenhouse. They will come back in the spring from the tubers/rhizomes in the pot. Taro's also have either a rhizome or tuber and can go dormant for the winter and come back in the spring.

If you have the plants in the greenhouse, they should do fine with moderate heating. I heat my pond for the coldest months and have over wintered both hyacinth and lettuce at lows of 40F, mind you that is water temp not air temp, water and air temps are two very different things. As long as the water temperature does not drop below 40 for an extended period of time they should make it through.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:44:43 PM »
Paul where are you at in Oklahoma. Tranquilty or lawanna is in Wagner and I am in Gore.

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"