Author Topic: A question for Joyce?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline mailman221

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A question for Joyce?
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
Joyce,
I have potted up some Lilies using your potting mix. Yes, I followed your instructions to the tee. The composted manure is leaking tea out of the pot turning the water brown. I do have a layer of pea gravel on top and am using pots without holes.

How do you control this?

Thanks, Ed   :-\

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: A question for Joyce?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »
Any soil can leach brown tannins into the water, not just composted manure.
Hopefully it was actually composted manure and not straight manure.
Did you check the smell like I advised and made sure it did not have any fowl odor?
Did it look just like rich soil, no chunks and lumps indicating that it wasn't fully composted?
There are so many different brands of composted cow manure, and a LOT are not what they say they are. {nono}
It takes common sense, a couple whiffs, and crumbling a few handfulls to determine if what you bought is up to par.
That's why I have started to use my own home made compost. Even the brand I used all the time was not consistent.
Started making compost 3 years ago, so now I have quite a bit.
Also, a thin layer of gravel doe not do the trick.
I use about an inch of gravel.
I also pack the soil down a bit before I add gravel.
If you don't pack the soil down a bit, it's too fluffy and absorbs too much water which eventually seeps out once the soil starts compacting under the water pressure and gravel weight.
Once again, common sense play a big part of potting up lilies, or any plants.

Anyway, add a bit more gravel. Leaching will not last forever. After a week or so, it should dissapate.
Do a few water changes if it really bothers you.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mailman221

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was composted manure- it was very much like soil, smelled good, no chucks or lumps and even on the dry side. I'm sure it met your description of acceptable manure. I'm in Iowa and understand your description of good vs bad. I'll add more gravel and give it some time and hopefully it will quit leaching. This is my first time using straight manure, used to using Iowa rich clay, which does not leach, so maybe my expectations were different. Perhaps I didn't pack the soil down enough. I'll give it some time and do a water change. It apparently is not an issue for you.

Ed 

Offline Joyce

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »
OK...now you have me confused, did you use straight manure or composted manure?  :-\

I grew up in Ames Iowa from age 1-5.  8) (born here, then dad did 4 years at Iowa state and we moved back to NY)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »
Joyce,

I was just reading the post and see you grew up in Iowa.  I know it doesn't have anything to do with this post, but I was born and lived in Estherville, Iowa until I was five years old, then we moved to South Dakota. 

Offline mailman221

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Joyce, I used composted manure. I meant straight as not mixed with anything else. I'm just the opposite- Grew up in Calif. and moved to Iowa to attend grad school-still here 44 years later.

Ed   

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »
I find it also helps to wet the whole thing down before lowering the pot very slowly into the pond.  Reduces the amount of fine particles released into the water but I always get some - sometimes even a little cloud - but is all settles on the bottom of the pond soon enough.  Haven't had a problem with the water colour though.  Actually, I usually add about an inch of garden soil (ours is a loamy clay) on top of the composted manure and then the pea gravel.  Perhaps that helps keep the manure from leaching out???  Perhaps it's coincidental, don't know.  The lilies do bloom prolifically though.  O0
emm

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »
All I can remember of Iowa is cornfields that seemed 20 feet tall, silos, and the farms my dad would get housecalls on. When we lived in IA my dad was already a veterinarian. He was at IA State to get some other degree. Some kind of animal infectious disease degree...I know he had 17 initials after his name once he was done with college including DVM and 2 PHDs. He used to be a livestock judge at the big state fairs they had there.

Ed...the leaching should stop after a week or so, especially if you add more gravel.

I agree with emm...I always slowly soak mine before adding to the pond. Then I use the mist setting to spray all debris off the surface of the water...and make sure the bottom and sides of the container are clean. I let them sit for a while before I add them to the pond while all the air bubbles out. Usually have to refill a few times too while the air settles out. To me, this is all common sense.  O0
I have HUGE ponds, so I've never noticed a leaching problem. But 99 out of 100 times, I repot the lilies and then submerge them into some kind of tub filled with water until I have a chance to lug them 3 miles down the road to my ponds at work. Need my hubby or some kind of muscle power with me. So they may sit for a week or so before they actually go into the pond. Even in the small tubs, never seen much of a leaching problem.  :no:

More Common Sense: All repotting should be done in a shady spot. This keeps the lilies from drying out, and keep the glare off the surface so you can see what you're doing. Also helps you stay cool.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sonny

• Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Today I potted the lotus tubers Joyce sent me.  They're in a half whiskey barrel (with a liner insert).  I put osmocote (14-14-14, about 1.5 cups) on the bottom, then several inches of composted cow manure, then up to 3/4 full with an organic compost.  Planted the tubers and covered generously with gravel.  Mosquito dunk and voila!

I've never done lotus before so I'm excited to see the results.

Does it look like I did it right? 

Jim

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
Looks good Jim.  8)
Are the growth tips above the gravel line?
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
Looks good Jim.  8)
Are the growth tips above the gravel line?

Yep, one is even above the waterline now.   :o
Jim

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
Perfect!  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline lindaky

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »
Sonny, where did you get the liner for your wiskey barrel? I've been looking for one for 2 years.

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »
Sonny, where did you get the liner for your wiskey barrel? I've been looking for one for 2 years.
I don't remember for sure but I believe I got it at either Home Depot or Lowe's.
Jim

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
The Lowes where I live have the inserts.  I think they are $20 or $25.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"