Author Topic: Taro?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Elly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Taro?
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »
 Hi, Need to know whether taro is poison to cats if they eat it. Need to bring mine in tonight, temps going to low. The only place I can put it is in front of my French door faceing east,  hopefully will be enough light for it. Thanks Elly

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Taro?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »
I am not sure about all of them but a few of the tuberous varieties are used as food crops. The tuber is boiled and mashed like a potato.

Joyce or Regina would now more about the other varieties.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
The tuber (at least in the colocasia) is used as food, but the stems and leaves are supposed to be poisonous.  From what I understand, they aren't likely to kill anything that eats them, but they do burn the mouth and throat.  I doubt your cat will take more than one bite, if he/she takes that. 

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »
Taro is a traditional staple in many tropical areas of the world, and is the base for making poi in Hawaii. The plant is actually inedible if ingested raw because of needle-shaped raphides in the plant cells. Severe gastrointestinal distress can occur unless the plant is properly processed first.
Raphides are a type of elongated crystalline form of calcium oxalate aggregated in bundles within a plant cell. Because of the needle-like form, large numbers in the tissue of, say, a leaf can render the leaf unpalatable to herbivores (see Dieffenbachia and taro).
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergastic_substance"

The cells of the dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphides. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat; swelling can occur along with a temporary inability to speak, and from this effect the plants are commonly called dumb cane (other names include Galatea and Leopard Lily). Chewing could result in death if swelling of the throat blocks the airway. Slaves were sometimes punished by having dieffenbachia put into their mouths[citation needed]. Young children (at the age where they regularly put things into their mouths) are at risk of suffocation and death if they eat or chew on dieffenbachia leaves. Some cats eat houseplants and flowers; they are similarly at risk.

Note last sentence!!!!

Good luck,
Paul.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:50:30 PM »
Poi is made from taro roots and is prtty good if you had a ton of sugar!
Dumb Cane is a common name for Diffenbachia as it is said to make one have difficulty in speaking, to say the least! {nono} {nono} {nono}

I once read that anything that isn't food can kill you {nono} {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"