Author Topic: Have you closed up your pond yet?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Have you closed up your pond yet?
« on: October 27, 2006, 04:28:06 AM »
I know many cover the pond with a net, we don't, only because too many birds get stuck in it
when the drink from the pond in the winter, and also too many leaves make it through the
net...so we scoop our brains out in the fall trying to keep all the leaves out.

We just bought in all the plants this week that we plan on over wintering in the house
and basement. We still have a tank full of koi fry out there that we need to dump into the
pond.

My thermometer reads 31* but our impatients are still in bloom...we haven't had a frost yet.
Enjoy the weekend everyone, I'm sure it will be a busy one. 
I can hardly imagine what we did with all
our free time before we had a pond??? (8:-) Joann

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Have you closed up your pond yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 04:34:17 AM »
Mine is all closed up, the fish are inside, but------

What an amazing picture-That is just great!!! o(:-) O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline terri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18:31 AM »
A great picture....:)
My pond is closed for the season...Net is on, pumps are cleaned and put away.
Fish are 'sleeping'.....
I put the net on in early October, just as the dogwood leaves start to fall.
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline Cindi

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:47:17 AM »
The pond isn't officially closed yet.  I did, however, cut back all the plants about 3 weeks ago.  We put a net on about that same time too, but at the time it wasn't for the leaves, it was for the heron.  But boy am I glad we put it on.  I guess I didn't realize how many leaves actually blow into our backyard!   :o 
Just yesterday I ordered the aerator to keep a hole in my ice.  I'll wait a bit yet before I pull the pump and such.
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:45:45 AM »
I dont really close my pond Joann. I just pull the imps out after they die. So far we have only had a small frost and it got the tops of the bananas but the impatiens are still going strong.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
I kind of got it done for me a few weeks ago when the side blew out of my kiddie pool. ::)
Threw everything into the other stock tanks and then last weekend we got them set up for winter. DH has to do some repairs on the other large stock tank this weekend so I can move some of the lilies to it. Then everything will be settled into their winter homes.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
We don't really close ours up either.  We did cut back all the plants a few weeks ago. :(  Now busy dumping the leaves in the skimmer nets every morning and evening.   I always hate to cut the plants back, but I do enjoy the fall leaf colors reflecting on the pond's surface! o(:-)
Karen

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:22:47 AM »
yep all the ponds and pools are closed for the winter....but, honestly I don't remember as many leaves getting thru the net in the past years...but, this year tons are getting thru  >:(- all trops except for the nanner plants are tucked away in the gh for the winter....and the koi are hovering on the bottom getting ready for winter... and the goldies have been put into the small gh to winter over......Love your pic Joann what a great shot  o( I tell you what the gh's make winter at least bearable....I still get to go out and enjoy fish and plants even when its 20 degrees outside....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 05:14:50 PM »
I cut all the plants back a week or so ago but still have the pump and waterfall going. This morning it was 0*C (32*F)  :o. I guess its time to sink the plants this weekend and close it up for the winter! For those of you that still have leaves getting through the net try using shade cloth. The mesh is so fine that even the spruce needles from all the trees in my backyard can't get through.

Joann, beautiful pic!
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 06:02:26 PM »
I haven't done much of anything yet but I should have. I'm getting so behind on everything since my dad's been in the hospital. He's doing a lot better so I can't use that excuse much longer.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 06:39:33 PM »
I have the lilys cut back, the floaters out and the pond is netted.  I still have to drop the de-icers in and hook them up and remove the net once the leaves have finished dropping.  I left it on one winter and the weight of the ice & snow pushed it onto the pond surface where it froze.  I found 2 dead fish caught in it in the spring once everything thawed   :'(  Never again will I leave that net on once the heavy snow starts flying.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Red

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 10:15:20 PM »
I pulled the fish out last week but was still in denial.  I was going to run the pump for a while but today...  *sigh* snow -- several inches and freezing temps forecast for all next week.  All yee procrastinators... trust me on this, it's later than you think ;)

Well, enough already!  I yanked the pump and sunk all the plants.  We'll see how they all make out in about 6 months.  I never did get around to clearing out the "bog" either.  I reckon it will all be there for me in the spring too.

Cheers!
Jim

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:28 AM »
Not yet - combination of being busy, bad weather and procrastination!  {:-P;; &-) >:(-
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline cheri

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 07:36:24 AM »
I've been trying to get the pond ready for the winter here too.  Last Sunday it warmed up into the 70s but the water was still very cold that I had to put a wet-suit on (nope, no pictures {nono}) in order to get the big pump out of the pond and then to drop the trimmed lily pots to the bottom.  I've been meaning to net the pond but since I mucked the pond up a bit while cleaning it out, I want to make sure I get all the leaves out first... once I can see the bottom.  I did turn off my stream and set a smaller pump out on a deep shelf to run a bubbler so part of the pond stays free of ice. In the mean time the rest of the garden has kept me busy.  Yesterday I took a saw to the hardy bananas because we've had a hard frost, besides today is "trash" day.  Seems I do my best yard work the day before the trash truck makes it's round through the neighborhood.  (8:-) I also need to set up my heater for the greenhouse. I think I need to make a to-do list.   ::) I'm sure I'm there's other stuff needing my attention too.  Cheri

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:40 AM »
Hey Cheri,
 No wet suit pictures..well ok..then...pictures of the greenhouse? pretty please :)
I do my best work just as I hear the trash truck coming ;) usually accompanied by a few bad words regarding my procrastination and the results thereof..  :o
Kay

Offline cheri

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
Kay:  You should see the wet-suit on me... not!   My DH's way of helping me with the pond was to buy the wet-suit for me for Christmas one year...  &-)  To make matters worse, bless his heart he bought it a size that fits when I'm at my smallest... Don't know if he thinks I'm really that thin, or he wanted to make sure that I don't ask him to put it on and hop into the pond for a change; as he's not really that much bigger than me.  I guess it's a good reminder not to gain much weight during the holidays... or in reality... just make sure I lose it afterwards.  {:-P;;
Here's a picture of the pond and greenhouse that I took today after I netted the pond.   Cheri

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 04:12:33 PM »
Cheri,
Your pond and greenhouse look great.

You should see the wet-suit on me...
I agree :D ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:14:59 AM »
 lol Steve! lol
Cheri,
    I love the conifers! Your pond and greenhouse are just lovely. I really like the look of greenhouses that look like sheds. They seem to blend into the garden better. Thanks for sharing them.
Kay

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 06:02:35 AM »
I think that it is just about time to shut this one down.  :o 8)
Another view (8:-) :no:
Steve
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:43:28 AM by EagleEye »

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »
Love that pic Steve!!!

Offline Billy

• Members
  • With us since: 07/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • http://cascade-pond-supply.com
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 09:29:24 AM »
Miy pond is covered and cozy for the winter.

Vice President Oregon Koi & Water Garden Society
http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 09:34:01 AM »
It does look cozy  :) How does it stand up to your winter? I like your edging. It's HT or something similar??
Kay

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 10:15:27 AM »
I love all the pics!

I cleared out the plants from my pond, and have just been netting out the leaves.  The pump is still on though, I suppose I will shut it off in a few months.  This is my first year for my little pond.  I'll get a pond de-icer and hope for the best, the water is 2 1/2' at it's deepest, so hopefully with the de-icer on the goldfish will be okay.

Offline Billy

• Members
  • With us since: 07/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • http://cascade-pond-supply.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
It holds up great to weather. It's held down with 24  50lb sandbags. The edging is sand mix cement.
It does look cozy  :) How does it stand up to your winter? I like your edging. It's HT or something similar??
Kay
Vice President Oregon Koi & Water Garden Society
http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
Hope mine looks like that next week Billy.  I haven't seen the fish for 10 days.  Dark out now and couldn't see them if I tried anyway.  Hubby bought the pipe hoops for the greenhouse, but hurt his back and was unable to do anything with them yet.  Temps were as low as 10 degrees while I was gone  :o

Mary

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:17 AM »
Well I dont actually shut mine down. This year since I have the bottom drains I might go ahead and turn off the skimmer. That should save me quite a bit of money. That pump cost a lot to run. Now I need to get off my lazy butt and go dig up the bananas and alocasias

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 06:30:14 AM »
I cover all but 1/3 of my ponds with plastic, It keep leaves out and makes water warmer. I also have a pond cam in this pond to check koi this winter.

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 09:23:02 AM »
My ponds never close, open year round. Sometimes we have lily blooms all winter on a few of the hardier tropicals. Had a bloom last week. But then out lowest temp here has been one night at about 36. We haven't seen any real winter yet.

Offline Red

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
Yep... pretty much done for the year...

Waaaay to early for this -- even for here!

Offline lootec

• Members
  • With us since: 05/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
I am pretty new at ponding.  Last year we didn't close our pond.  We kept the pump running all winter but turned off the waterfalls.  We had a pipe shooting water into the pond to keep an air hole for the fish.  I live in Missouri so it can get pretty cold.  My question is do ponders normally close off their ponds for the winter?  Was I just lucky my fish survived.  Last year I had goldfish.  This year I was given three young koi so I do want them to survive.  Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"