Author Topic: First Resident ... Nearly Escapes!  (Read 1785 times)

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
First Resident ... Nearly Escapes!
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:58:30 AM »
Meet Minnie the official first resident of the "big pond" here at JohnInFlorida's.

A western painted turtle, she was released into the pond this morning and started wandering around like she owned the place. Shortly thereafter she was joined by 3 dozen tadpoles, just to keep her occupied. She seems quite happy to be chasing the taddies around and she'll definately be getting plenty of exercise while trying to trap a meal. 8-)~       A small turtle in a great big puddle, but that gives the taddies a sporting chance. (8:-)

All in all, the fine tuning of the pond seems to be going well. I've been fighting with a leak but think I've discovered the location ... a joint  in one corner of the left bog which didn't get sealed correctly. I crammed the corner full of hydraulic cement and will re-test the bog later this afternoon. Hopefully that's the location of the leak. 

More to come ...

Keep Smilin'
John :) :o
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:54:46 PM by JohnInFlorida »
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: First Resident
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:33:59 AM »
 O0 John! So glad to see your pond up and running. Hope the leak is fixed. Cute turtle  :)

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
Re: First Resident - Escape Attempt!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:17:39 PM »
Well, the "official First Resident" here at Chez JohnInFlorida tried to become the "official First Escapee" ...

the mini-pond is netted to keep out the leaves and the netting hangs over the edge, into the water of the big pond.

Minnie, otherwise known as the first resident, found her way to the bottom of the netting and started climbing, making her bid for freedom!

But alas! Her attempt at escape and life in the wild is spoiled by the guy with the beard! Curses, foiled again!!  &-)

Needless to say, I've subsequently had a stern talk with Minnie and she promises she'll never do it again.  O0

But I also removed the netting, just in case ...  ::)

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:55:27 PM by JohnInFlorida »
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: First Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 04:58:01 PM »
Needless to say, I've subsequently had a stern talk with Minnie and she promises she'll never do it again.  O0

Having kept turtles for the last 35 or 40 years now, I can say with some certainty . . . . She's lying!  She absolutely WILL try to escape again . . . . and when she gets a bit bigger, she surely will.  (Um, are we sure she's a she?  She looks like she might be too young for a positive id!)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: First Resident ... Nearly Escapes!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:00:24 AM »
Just tell her about the family of turtle eating raccoons outside the fence. She will scuttle back home in a hurry. The little ingrate, a wonderful, new pond with a bog, plants to scarf up, tadpoles for dessert. What else could she want? I expect you will receive a demand letter soon. Turtle villa with pool boy..err..turtle pool boy, one of those pretty boys with the striped shells and long claws. Ah, that's the life .. ;)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 11:27:21 AM »
What a great story O0

I always feel bad when an escaped attempt fails. IF only she was a little bit faster. (8:-)

I'm still having a hard time getting used to you turning your swimming pool into a pond. Don't think I could do it.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:15:21 PM »
Glad you're keeping an eye on her John! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
She/He is cute.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"