Author Topic: Need clematis advice  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need clematis advice
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
Someone in the neighborhood dug up a couple clematis & I found them in the trash.  They are bareroot (I've got them in water until I can pot them) & one has some fairly long runners.  I'll get them potted up tomorrow but should I prune them?  Do I need to do anything else special to help them to survive?

Has anyone successfully rooted clematis cuttings?
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need clematis advice
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
I just clipped the new growth off of one of mine and stuck it into water and it rooted and I have a new plant now. If you prune those that you got from the trash they may or may not bloom this year but they prolly will next year if you let them grow. When I first got mine and planted them in the ground I pruned them about a foot from the ground in March and then the next year I pruned them down again and the next year also. This was to make a strong root system. Now it depends on what time they bloom on how much you prune them after they have developed the good roots. Spring bloomers you prune every yr to about a foot. The summer bloomers you only prune dead wood and to neaten up. They love Alfalfa meal to be put in the ground in February and dug around in the soil. Careful not to get too close to the roots when digging it in. And water it in well after. Oh also you can plant them deeper than most plants so that if a freeze hurts them they will come back strong from underground with new growth. Hope this helps.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »
I would prune them down when I planted them. Also make sure you plant them deep. Bury the crown.

Types I and II bloom on old wood, Type III bloom on new wood so Type IIIs are pruned hard every year. All of them should be hard pruned the first year or two. Many prune Type IIs as IIIs to make it simpler. This works best in warmer climates.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Thank you for the info.  They were pretty mangled from being shoved in the bag & stuff added on top, so heavy pruning was necessary.  I've potted them since I don't have a place to plant them right now.  I'll top off the pots some more to bury the crown.  I accidentally broke off a small clematis I got last year (3rd time now that I've broken it!) & it is sending out new leaves already. @O@
Kat

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:20 AM »
A gal that I met had beautiful clematis and she said one of the big things was keeping the roots cool?  She had big rocks around the base of the plants and hers grew likes weeds spreading all over with huge blooms!  I was jealous!
Mary

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:10 AM »
I'll have to try some rocks around the one I keep breaking.  The others have plants at their base to help keep the soil shaded.
Kat

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
Roots cool is a myth that just won't die. What was originally meant by that was that they like evenly moist soil.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
Roots cool is a myth that just won't die. What was originally meant by that was that they like evenly moist soil.

Thank you LeeAnne!
Kat

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »
does that mean that they dont necessarily like plants planted at their base for shade also??

tink

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

now that makes more sense and in essence one is doing the other....I'd need rocks or something around the base of them here to keep them moist!
Mary

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »
No, you don't have to plant anything around their bases or put rocks on them.

I've seen a hundred huge ones at a private garden that all had their stems and crowns in full sun but on a drip system for water and heavily mulched. None of mine have their bases covered or planted except those planted in my mixed borders.

At nurseries and garden centers they are in those black plastic pots out there in full sun....
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:24:26 AM »
Pardon me for the intrusion but my friends from Oregon, New Hampshire and Massachusetts no longer try to advise me about plants after their summer visits to the central Oklahoma Dutch oven in which I reside every summer.  Clay or sandy soils exposed to the sun get quite hot in the summer here, and many plants even in soils of good tillage and aeration refuse to produce thick succulent roots for robust growth.
Many a immigrant from northern states have approached me in the past asking why they have little or no success with their plants down here.   In all honesty I can only tell them two things and still be true to myself.  Either continue with a light or moderate amount of effort and only grow what the majority of the natives grow, but if gas station plants doesn't quite cut it, then one must  hump up and rise  to the task of incorporating wholesale quantities of compost in the beds and a good layer of mulch to insulate the roots from the heat then the composted soil beneath is sure to stay cool and loose for the accommodation of the kind of robust growth that fat juicy cool succulent roots can provide.    In short, without cool soil for the roots and full sun for the blooms in this area, my clematis used to turn to toast and frankly I can't remember the last time I watered my Jackmanii....mmm...I think 2003.  :)

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »
And another thing...ANY plants planted around the base will compete with the Clematis for nutrients.
And another thing...rocks heat up in the sun.

I agree, there are so many stupid old wives tales and myths out there about plants. ::)
I gave up a LOOOOONG time ago trying to talk sense into people...they just don't wanna hear it.

That said...Clematis are hard to kill if you have ANY common sense.

I know Kat's will recover just fine...and make up for lost time! 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
i planted a clematis from lowes about a month or two ago an di realized the package said full sun... it just gets late afternoon sun from like 3 to 8pm... its not gunna preform well were it is huh

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
Mine are in late afternoon sun and are doing fine.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Many of the members of the Clematis forum on Garden Web live in hot areas and you won't see anyone there recommending that you place rocks over your Clematis root zones or planting over them.

There are people there who grow Clematis in areas with very hot summers like Dallas TX.

Of course, shaded roots will stay moister than roots in soil that gets full sun that is a given.....but far too much emphasis is placed on worrying over shading the rootzone with rocks or plants instead of mulch. Mulch is the ticket.

Many Clematis will do just fine in partial sun. Many fade badly in full sun even in my cloudy climate.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
Thanks again for all the info.  I'll do my best to keep the clematis I've got alive & well.  The ones planted in the alley have plants all around their bases & I'll mulch around the others  :)
Kat

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:59 AM »
Wow, all 3 (including the one that was split off at the roots from the main plant) are showing signs of new growth!  Wasn't expecting to see it so quickly.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If all goes well with them this summer, I'll plant them this fall.
Kat

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
Took advantage of the cooler/cloudy 2 weeks we had & planted all but a couple of the clematis.  The garden extends further to the right & I've got more trellis.  The taller trellis has one of the thrown out clematis on it & the others I got from Lowe's on sale/clearance.  The iris are the ones that got thrown out, too.  Bought some daylilies, crinum, & rain lilies from eBay that are planted among the iris, too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:25:44 AM by Kat »
Kat

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
It's BEAUTIFUL!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Very nice  O0
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Thanks.  Hopefully next year the plants will bloom so I can see what all the colors are that I ended up with.  The fuschia clematis is planted in the alley garden & I really love the color of it.
Kat

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
Great rescue results!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"