Author Topic: Nymphaea zenkeri  (Read 1613 times)

Offline scokaw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • SnL Aquatics
Nymphaea zenkeri
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:50 AM »
Hi all, I've been a member here for a couple of years and have enjoyed everyone's posts and pictures.  I have a question about one of my plants and figured this would be the perfect opportunity for my first posting.

I got this plant as Nymphaea zenkeri "Red Tiger Lotus", and forgot about it until I just noticed a nightblooming white flower appear.  I found a lot of conflicting articles on the web, but the consensus seems to be that it's a synonym for N. lotus and rubra.

Can anyone confirm this or shed a little more light on the subject?

Would someone also be willing to give me a crash course in posting a picture?  I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks
Scott

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Nymphaea zenkeri
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »
It's a Tropical Water Lily and NOT a lotus.
Commonly sold in aquarium stores as aquarium plants (IF you have a HUGE aquarium) with the horribly misleading name of Red Tiger Lotus.  ::)

That's because they assume most people don't know the difference between a water lily and a lotus.  :doh: ?)(? :no:

It's another sales gimmick, playing off peoples ignorance. ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:30:31 AM »
I'll be following this thread closely. For fun, this winter I got a couple of these tubers from the aquarium section of Walmart. I put them in a small aquarium and was able to pinch off 5 small starts (only one actually began to grow). I potted these little plants in small pots and put them in the pond last week. Does anybody know how big they get (Zone 5/6 growing season)? I'm not expecting much, but for $3 it seemed like a fun experiment. . .
Bryan

Offline scokaw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • SnL Aquatics
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
Joyce, thanks for that info.

It's definitely a popular plant in the aquarium trade, because of their variegated red and/or green leaves.  I know a lot of people that keep trimming back the surface leaves to keep it small.  So I was surprised when I saw the bloom the other night.   

I'm not big on aquarium plants, which is why i potted it and placed it in an outdoor tub.  Plus is was free from the store owner.

Do you know if it's supposed to be the same plant as the nightblooming waterlily Nymphaea lotus or Nymphaea rubra?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Joyce, there is a water lily called Egyptian Blue Lotus. I believe it's N. caerulea. The color of the bloom is similar to N. immutabalis.

Bearb, are you referring to the dried tubers? I bought one and planted it. It was suppose to be a lily. It had floating leaves but the flowers were white spikes.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
I don't care what it's 'commonly' called, it is not a lotus.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
Claude Bouch'e created tropical night blooming hybrids, all in 1852 and 1853, 16 of them named. Seven of them were the result of pollination of N. rubra with pollen of N. lotus, while the rest were pollinations of the resulting hybrids with pollen of N. lotus. The best known of these was N. 'Boucheana', first described by Planchon in Flore des Serres et des jardins de l'Europe, Volume 10, 1855. One might wonder how seven different hybrids could be created from the same cross of two species but we propose that N. rubra was capable of producing varying shades. Descriptions of all 16 can be found in "The Bouché Nymphaea Hybrids" (German - English) by Professor Dr. Karl Koch, published in Allgemeine Gartenzeitung, No. 35, 1857.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
Nymphaea lotus, the Tiger Lotus or Egyptian White Water-lily, is a flowering plant of the family Nymphaeaceae that grows in various parts of East Africa and Southeast Asia. It is known to flower at night and close in the morning and remains of the flower have been found in the burial tomb of Ramesses II.

This species of water lily has lily pads which float on the water, and blossoms which rise above the water.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
it is a lily and called a lotus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:43:33 PM »
Egyptian water lily - white Egyptian lotus: water lily of Egypt to southeastern Africa; held sacred by the Egyptians
Nymphaea lotus, white lotus, white lily, lotus

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
Scott, yes a dried tuber on a little card. All the starts put out red "spear shaped" underwater leaves. They look like the images google turns up when you search "red tiger lotus". Eventually they began sending up surface leaves. The surface leaves are small, deeply forked, pointed ovals about 2 1/2 inches long. They come up dark red/maroon and change to a drab green. None of the starts have more than 2 surface leaves yet. I imagine they will put up larger leaves in time (these starts are TINY). I have no idea what the flowers will look like or if I will get any.

Bryan
Bryan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"