Author Topic: Ever had a paper cut  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ever had a paper cut
« on: October 27, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »
on your eyeball?  DD#1 got one today.  This isn't the first time she's done that either.  She's cut her eyeball at least 4 times and this is at least the second paper cut, but it's not as bad as the first time she did it. 

Can I tell you, it made my afternoon!?!?!?!

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ever had a paper cut
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:21:04 PM »
Eeeewwwww!   I'm cringing.  Poor girl, sounds terrible   :(
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »
Me too, I can NOT imagine! :no:
How do you treat that kind of injury? ?)(?
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »
 :o :o :o :o eye, eye, eye :o :o :o

Ewww, yuck ewww gross and I am so sorry for her!
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »
Ouch. I know how painful such injuries are. I had a lacerated cornea once, and it was insanely painful.
Poor kid! I'm sure it did "make" your afternoon- and your evening, night, and tomorrow.  :'( :'( :'(
I hope it heals fast.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
Holey-moley!  I can imagine the pain she's in!  I once had a pine needle stuck in my eye... Being that I'm blind in one eye, I was pretty paniced!  And in pain! 
Poor baby, hope she feels better soon!
Tammie

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 02:09:01 AM »
Sending Miss M a gentle {{{hug}}}

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:12:42 AM »
Owie!!! i cant imagine the discomfort she is in! hope she gets to feeling better soon!
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »
Actually, the eyeball heals remarkably fast.  They put some dye in it that shows up under a black light- then they turn out the lights and turn on the black light to see the cut.  This was actually 3 or 4 little cuts instead of one big one.  (Last time was one very deep cut that had folded back a couple layers of the eyeball - which they had to straighten out so it could heal.)  All they do is patch the eye so it doesn't open and the eyelids don't aggravate the cut.  You leave the patch on for 24 to 48 hours (this is a 24 hour patch) and the eye is good to go.  She'll have a bit of redness in the whites for a while, but she'll be fine cuz it wasn't near the iris or pupil (the lens).

It's incredibly painful when it first happens, but once the eye gets patched, the pain goes away pretty quickly.  I think the dye also has a painkiller in it.  She's ok this morning - but still patched.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 08:11:10 AM »
When Jamie was about 4 (in NC) she poked herself with a pencil and had the black light dye-thing done to her eye.
She was fine, just a little scrape, but was scary seeing blood coming from her eye. :o

How is she today? ?)(?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:25:43 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »
She doesn't like the patch, but she said the eye doesn't hurt anymore.  This is at least the 4th time she's had her eye patched.  When she was about 3 1/2 - right after we moved into this house - she did the paper cut thing.  She aslo poked it with something and I can't remember what the other incident was now.  It was so funny when we went to the doctor yesterday.  The doctor herself came out to the waiting room to get us and said (in an angry voice to the entire waiting room) "Steffie, not again!"  It was absolutely hilarious! 

Steffie thought it was funny because in her Coping class last week, they each had to tell something unusual that had happened to them and she had just told about how she'd gotten a paper cut on her eye when she was little.  She cut it in Coping class!

GAJen

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:45 AM »
That's awful ... never heard of one there until now. Bless her heart.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »
I gotta ask.  How did she accomplish such an injury?  Is she accident prone?

Remids me of a story I read once about Houdini.  Seems to hone his concentration he would pick up needles point first...with his eyelids!  EEEuuuuwwwww!

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 03:31:38 PM »
Well there's obviously something wrong with my eyes

Sending Miss S a gently hug!!!!!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »
Took the patch off today and did my best to look and see if there was anything to see.  I couldn't see anything, but without the green dye and the black light, I didn't have much of a chance unless there was something much worse than there was yesterday.  She said it didn't hurt anymore and it wasn't nearly as light sensitive (tho she did squint a good bit).  So I'm guessing that it healed enough and it's gonna be ok.

No Johns, she's not particularly accident prone and she's certainly wasn't trying to pic up paper with her eyeball!  She picked up a clean piece of paper and as she did, a gust of wind caught it and bent it in half and the top of it went into her eye.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 06:28:17 PM »
Glad she is doing better. I was wondering the same as Johns.
Hate it when our kids get hurt >:(
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 06:53:26 PM »
That's awful!  I hope it heals fast.  My cousin lost her sight when she was little, I think 2, because of a hanger.  She was running and ran into the wall and the hanger (metal) went through her eye.  Her dad had to pull it out.  She had many surgeries and wore and eye patch and glasses for years.  Then when she was like 9 she had an eye transplant.  So she now has a brown eye and a blue eye, but at least she isn't blind in that eye anymore.
That is why I don't like metal hangers in my house I am so afraid of it happening to my kids.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 07:28:49 PM »
Goodness sakes, I'm sorry for her, glad her eye is much better now.  I was wondering how she accomplished that also!  I'm always cutting my tongue when I lick an envelope at work....GOTTA STOP THAT :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 06:12:12 AM »
Glad to hear that she's better. Poor kid..what a painful thing to happen  :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"