Author Topic: Need help with choosing a front door  (Read 1753 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Need help with choosing a front door
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
We're thinking about finally replacing our front door. We recently did the tile on the front porch, new stained post and shutters, as well as matching stain on the fence. We're thinking about getting a basic 6-panel wood door like this:  http://images.lowes.com/product/097375/097375195684.jpg

All of the interior doors and trim are white, so I would want to paint the inside white. I guess it's probably not a good idea to stain one side and paint the other. So if we do get this style door and paint it, what color would look best on the outside?

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with choosing a front door
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Personally I like your front door better than the new one you have chosen. Just stain it the color of your shutters. Just a thought! :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
I don't like the present door, too tacky, doesn't fit the style of the house AT ALL and see through...not safe, no privacy.  :o

I am ordering this door for our house...
http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=550872
Might change my mind at the last minute and get this one...
http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=550868

Check out the doors on this website...
http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=550864&Style=&gclid=CJOpud6swpoCFQVaFQodrl6Nqw
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
MCP, I'm glad you like the door we have. I'm afraid stripping and staining would be a nightmare!!

Joyce, I agree that the current door is dated and we also hate the window due to privacy. I would love to let some light in, with a window towards the top. The craftsman style doors you are considering are awesome; however, something like that would probably look strange on my ranch style house. I do like this one:  http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=680377. The door I posted at Lowe's has a coordinating 9-Lite door that I was considering for the two exterior doors on the back of my house. I was worried about putting the half-window style on the front door for the privacy issue previously identified. http://images.lowes.com/product/097375/097375042315.jpg

With the black shingles, maybe I should stick with black? The brown in this one looks nice with the brick. http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=680538 Maybe more of a reddish brown to coordinate with our cedar accents?

Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline ladybug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:50 AM »
joyce i love the ones you picked out and jessica i like the one you picked out from joyce's site.  i don't like the plain wooden door, too plain for you and your house.  think about this too, the storm door.  it should match your trim.  so if your trim is not white, your door should not be white.  it looks like the trim around your door now is white, but if you paint the trim, then consider the different color.  the line in the middle across detracts too.  if you have a solid storm door, it will really look nice.  it kills me to drive around and people that have green trim and a white door, buy a white storm door.  it stands out like a sore thumb against the green trim.  it may just be me, so ignore me.  i know i am ultra picky when it comes to this.  going away and being quiet now {:-P;;
ladybug
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:14:05 AM by ladybug »
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »
Jessica--if you want a quick fix, paint the outside a similiar color to your stain.  On the inside, install some rods & make some curtains out of lightweight fabric.  That way you still have light coming in but also privacy--I've done that with my front door.  The matching "stain" color would also blend better.  I like your door but it doesn't fit the house now that you've done the other updates.

A few years ago a neighbor lost their ball in my back yard.  The little monster came to the front door & started peering in ... he didn't see me approach, so I slapped the glass.  He jumped back quickly, LOL.  The ball wasn't ever "lost" in my yard again  {:-P;;  Now that I have the curtains up no one can see in.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:25:15 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »
Ladybug, the storm door is painted beige and is solid. The line is a reflection of the sidewalk! We will probably get a more secure storm door that also matches the color of our windows.

Kat, I have a white shade behind the window now, it does help!

The window in the door is flimbsy as well, and there has been someone kicking in doors in our neighborhood this week, so there is a security issue also.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »
Jessica, the plain door is too plain. The current door is dated and insecure.

Joyce, I love your first choice but not the second and want this one for my house:
http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=621691
I can't afford it so am getting a cheaper Craftsman looking door and painting it eggplant purple.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »
A LOT of craftsman style houses are ranch style or ranch-bungalos.
Frank Lloyd Wright designed a lot of sprawling ranch style craftmans or arts & crafts style, prairie-ranch.

Just a few wood accents, and I would call your shutters in the craftsman style...and your ranch would be arts & craftsman-esque.

If this house had your shutters, it would look even better....

Give your house the pillars with the bottom half in stone...and you'd have it.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
DH thinks we should get a new door and paint it black and try to tie it in more by getting black shutter hardware. I think a muted gray/green color or stain would be nice, but don't have any other place aside from the front door to use the green. Would it look weird bringing in another accent color any other place on the house?

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

Joyce, I really really like this house in Orlando. My next house will definitely be this style. http://www.floridamoves.com/property/propertydetails.aspx?propertyguid=76d61686-03ac-42de-8160-37eb1bda48dd&WT.MC_ID=301810000000000

Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
Hey Joyce, sorta off topic here but I'm having trouble deciding between green and tan for my house color. We are residing it. IF I post a pic would it take a lot of time for you to color the house each color for me???

My house is a ranch, but it has a lot of bungalow details inside so we are going for a Craftsman look outside too. Many Craftsman houses here and many bungalows.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »
Sure, I'll try!  :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 06:56:30 AM »
JC, I like your current door, and think it fits well with the style of the house.  For that style of door, it should be stained wood color.  What I don't like about it is the easily-breakable glass.  Security is a big issue around here (inner city Houston), and I have no glass anywhere where a person could walk up and break it.

The six-panel door is too plain.  If you choose that one, get a style with a fan-shaped window in the top, or some other element to let in some light. 

Red is a GREAT front door color.  Remember that to get red to work right, you have to prime the door in grey or brown first.   Otherwise, the paint will be pink, no matter how many coats you put on.

But remember that with a glass storm door, you really can hardly see the front door at all. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"