Author Topic: Filter Help - Not sure what to buy  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Walkerg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Filter Help - Not sure what to buy
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

I'm building a 11' x 8' x 4'D koi pond and I'm having a VERY hard time trying to decide what to buy to make sure my koi are healthy and happy.  I started a smaller pond 3 years ago and fell in love.

I keep seeing articles about needing a bottom drain, skimmer, jets etc.  My pond will be about 2,300 gallons and I'd like to keep 10 good size koi.  Cost is an issue.  What can I get away without and still have happy healthy Koi.  I have more time than money.  It seems that the Laguna style pressure filers are more in my price range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Glenn

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filter Help - Not sure what to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »
If you have time and are handy why don't you build your own filter box?  Is relatively easy and there are quite a few who built their own and share the secrets to making a successful filter.  Someone is sure to write in but check out the DIY here http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
10 koi in 2000 gallons is pushing the limit on stocking. 

Go to Koiphen and check out their DIY section under construction.  Lots of GOOD filters there for koi ponds as that is that forum's main focus.

Think of the filtration as the toilet.. getting the gunk OUT of the water into a filter and then flushed completely out of the system on a regular basis.

Miniumum in my mind...bottom drain to settlement of some kind to pump to filter.  Skimmer with pump to another filter or to a water fall.   

With 10 koi in 2000 gallons you will want all the filtration when they get to be good sized. 

Laguna pressure filters IMHO are more for nice watergarden features.  Listed sizes for ponds usually do NOT take into consideration that there are fish.

Look for the sand/gravel filters by Kent Wallace or Birdman (Steve) over on Koiphen.  Excellent filters, cheap and easy to make.  I made most of mine with only minimal help from DH and I got that  because he loves me  o(:-) o(:-)

Mary
Mary

Offline ChrisAZPonds

• Members
  • With us since: 12/01/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »
I have to be careful with this one as I did work for this manufacturer for 6 years. My advice with the Laguna Pressure Flo is to make sure that you over size the filter unit. For example, if your pond is 1500 gallons, go with the PF-3200 (#PT-1506) as there is no such thing as too much filtration. With the flow rate if the water moves too fast through the filter, there will not be enough contact time for the biological filter to break down the organic waste. Also, if the water goes through too fast, their will not be enough time for the UV to act properly in destroying the waterborne algae. My current favorite is the Tetra Pressurized filters, but don't follow the manufacturer's flow rates as they are too fast. I suggest going with the Tetra Bio version and then running an Emperor Aquatics UV after the filter. I suggest Emperor as their products are used mainly by zoos and aquariums. I also noticed that some one had mentioned making your own filter by going with a Skippy. I love gravity fed filters and what i suggest doing to the Skippy is to add an aerator in the mix as this will boost the performance of the filter greatly. If you have the space and don't mine the appearence, the Skippy is a good way to go as well. If you have additional questions, you are more then welcome to give me a call at 800*722*8877...Chris

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
Chris,

I checked out AZPonds.com. I had to see your photo galary of your pond pics, and I really like your style of pond. I like the natural river rock look around a pond, and yours is great. Your pond looks well established and it also looks like it was in tended to be there. It fits into the landscape.

Happy ponding,

Rich  O0
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"