Author Topic: Pond scum  (Read 764 times)

Offline paramusponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond scum
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
I have a foamy build up on top of the water surface. I've cleaned my filter and applied a foam buster but it keeps coming back. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks much.

Paramusponder

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Re: Pond scum
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »
If you have fish they may be spawning?  It is spawning season and I have had the foaming water for a few days then it went away and tons of tiny fish eggs showed up on the water hyacinth roots.  Check the water parameters to make sure they are good.  Have you had lots of rain lately?  That also caused my pond to foam up a bit but eventually it settled down, especially after I used quilt batting to filter out the particles that floated in the water.

Good luck.

Kuan

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond scum
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
The foam is probably Doc's  (Dissolved Organic Compounds) In other words too much decayed matter in the pond. It comes from fish spawing, dead algae, plants, leaves  decaying etc. I have it going on in my ponds right now as well. Best way to get rid of it, is clean well (the batting works great) and do many small water changes. It will go away.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"